Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

As an upcoming fresher I'm already starting to create a mind map of everything I need for this autumn, so obviously I have a couple of questions to ask

Is there a standard that students take notes in notebooks during lectures, or are computers a more common practice? So far I haven't used a computer in class, though I really don't know what to expect in uni or how many notebooks to buy

Another question for those living in Bath or Durham area: which mobile carrier would you advise? I am looking for one with a strong 3G coverage, seeing that as an international student my communication with home will strongly depend on Skype, whatsapp etc

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not from the Bath or Durham area so I can't help you with mobile carriers (sorry!).

When I first started uni last year, I was intending to use my laptop to take notes, but I bought a couple of notebooks just in case. Luckily I did, as when I got to my first lecture, nobody was using laptops!

As we got further into the year, a couple of people brought in iPad's to take notes, but that's the closest we got to laptops.

My advice would be to buy a cheap A4 notebook, take it with you on the first day, and see what everyone else is doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katemaria)

Another question for those living in Bath or Durham area: which mobile carrier would you advise? I am looking for one with a strong 3G coverage, seeing that as an international student my communication with home will strongly depend on Skype, whatsapp etc
    !
    With most mobile carries you can go to their website and do a postcode search of an area and they will give you a rough idea of what kind of coverage you can get in that area. Probably best off trying that first. If not, you can always pop in to their stores and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    I've always used notebooks to take notes - as have most people. But do whatever you feel most comfortable with.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Is there a standard that students take notes in notebooks during lectures, or are computers a more common practice? So far I haven't used a computer in class, though I really don't know what to expect in uni or how many notebooks to buy
    On my course (maths) people mostly take notes on paper, but some people do write on their iPads/tablets using the apps where you can handwrite notes on there.

What course are you going to be studying.

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance!
    Hello!

just go on the coverage checker for each of the carriers that you're considering going with to see if they will offer the coverage you're looking for.

I saw you're an international student, so the big four UK carriers are:

- Vodafone
    - O2
    - EE
    - Three

ReputationRep:
    The majority of people in my lectures used notebooks for notes. Although more people brought in laptops/tablets as the year went on. I started using a laptop because I'm a much faster typer than handwriter so it helped me keep up. Just use whichever you find easiest

ReputationRep:
    I used to use A4 notepads, but one guy from our course just used an A5 notepad and a pen. It meant he didn't even have to carry a bag, his notepad fit inside his jacket pocket. Genius.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.