Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am using the following books by CGP for my AS Biology, Chemistry and Physics revision:

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...cr.book_CRTB51

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...cr.book_BRTB51

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...qa.book_PATB51

Could someone tell me if revising from them is bad (eg is there is a lot of lacking information?) Are there better books available? I find the CGP ones very informative and useful, but this is my first time doing AS levels and I want to make sure they are good.

Please help!

ReputationRep:
    What about buying the CGP books and cross referencing your information with the Nelson Thornes books?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John10000)
    What about buying the CGP books and cross referencing your information with the Nelson Thornes books?
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    The CGP books tend to give you the bare bones (as in tell you it but in VERY little detail, HOWEVER, they are great for grasping the basic concept).

Would strongly recommend Nelson Thornes books.
    What about buying the CGP books and cross referencing the information learnt with the Nelson Thornes books?

Would that be better?

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is GCSE is SO MUCH EASIER than A level.
    A level, you will get given so much BS in question form... (So called "exam technique")

From what I remember about those books (only looked through them to get the basic concept at A level before branching out), like I said use them to gain a basic understanding then build on your foundations with Nelson Thornes.

Only used the CGP books that I borrowed from the library to help me on topics I didn't quite grasp at the beginning.

The more resources you have, the better.
    Ok thanks a lot for your help my friend Just one more thing, the CGP books you used, were they the same type as the ones ive shown in the link above^^ ? Or the thinner condensed version?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks a lot for your help my friend Just one more thing, the CGP books you used, were they the same type as the ones ive shown in the link above^^ ? Or the thinner condensed version?
    Sorry, JUST noticed the exam board...
    I did the AQA exam board, not OCR.

My bad.
    Nelson Thornes is suited for AQA.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, JUST noticed the exam board...
    I did the AQA exam board, not OCR.

My bad.
    Nelson Thornes is suited for AQA.
    The physics one is in AQA Im doing AQA A Physics, OCR A chemistry and OCR Biology.

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...ageFlip_PATB51

This is the link for a page of the physics AQA book. What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    The physics one is in AQA Im doing AQA A Physics, OCR A chemistry and OCR Biology.

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...ageFlip_PATB51

This is the link for a page of the physics AQA book. What are your thoughts?
    I don't really have a lot to go on based on what was provided (the sixth form provided us with another book (can't remember name)) and we used that.

I think I will delete my messages so your whole* first page isn't clogged up by irreverent junk.

However, going by what I have seen (and the first few pages cover the easy stuff), it seems quite good.
    Just don't forget not to stick with just one source of knowledge and use the library's resources for other A level books. You may find a Nelson Thornes physics book you could use, I hear the As book is far superior than the A2 book (dropped physics at A2), so, can't vowge for the A2 book, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    For OCR, the Heinemann books are endorsed by the exam board: I think they're the preferred and most commonly used textbook. The same publisher has a set of Revision guides too. Maybe they're good?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.