Biology, Chemistry and Physics - Best books

Watch
John10000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am using the following books by CGP for my AS Biology, Chemistry and Physics revision:

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...cr.book_CRTB51

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...cr.book_BRTB51

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...qa.book_PATB51

Could someone tell me if revising from them is bad (eg is there is a lot of lacking information?) Are there better books available? I find the CGP ones very informative and useful, but this is my first time doing AS levels and I want to make sure they are good.

Please help!
John10000
Rep:
?
What about buying the CGP books and cross referencing your information with the Nelson Thornes books?
John10000
Rep:
?
(Original post by John10000)
What about buying the CGP books and cross referencing your information with the Nelson Thornes books?
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
The CGP books tend to give you the bare bones (as in tell you it but in VERY little detail, HOWEVER, they are great for grasping the basic concept).

Would strongly recommend Nelson Thornes books.
What about buying the CGP books and cross referencing the information learnt with the Nelson Thornes books?

Would that be better?
John10000
Rep:
?
All I can say is GCSE is SO MUCH EASIER than A level.
A level, you will get given so much BS in question form... (So called "exam technique")

From what I remember about those books (only looked through them to get the basic concept at A level before branching out), like I said use them to gain a basic understanding then build on your foundations with Nelson Thornes.

Only used the CGP books that I borrowed from the library to help me on topics I didn't quite grasp at the beginning.

The more resources you have, the better.
Ok thanks a lot for your help my friend Just one more thing, the CGP books you used, were they the same type as the ones ive shown in the link above^^ ? Or the thinner condensed version?
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ok thanks a lot for your help my friend Just one more thing, the CGP books you used, were they the same type as the ones ive shown in the link above^^ ? Or the thinner condensed version?
Sorry, JUST noticed the exam board...
I did the AQA exam board, not OCR.

My bad.
Nelson Thornes is suited for AQA.
John10000
Rep:
?
Sorry, JUST noticed the exam board...
I did the AQA exam board, not OCR.

My bad.
Nelson Thornes is suited for AQA.
The physics one is in AQA Im doing AQA A Physics, OCR A chemistry and OCR Biology.

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...ageFlip_PATB51

This is the link for a page of the physics AQA book. What are your thoughts?
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The physics one is in AQA Im doing AQA A Physics, OCR A chemistry and OCR Biology.

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/b...ageFlip_PATB51

This is the link for a page of the physics AQA book. What are your thoughts?
I don't really have a lot to go on based on what was provided (the sixth form provided us with another book (can't remember name)) and we used that.

I think I will delete my messages so your whole* first page isn't clogged up by irreverent junk.

However, going by what I have seen (and the first few pages cover the easy stuff), it seems quite good.
Just don't forget not to stick with just one source of knowledge and use the library's resources for other A level books. You may find a Nelson Thornes physics book you could use, I hear the As book is far superior than the A2 book (dropped physics at A2), so, can't vowge for the A2 book, sorry.
danconway
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For OCR, the Heinemann books are endorsed by the exam board: I think they're the preferred and most commonly used textbook. The same publisher has a set of Revision guides too. Maybe they're good?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads