Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there guys, I'm currently a second year Mechanical Engineering student (expecting to graduate in 2015).

I'm wondering if my Mechanical Engineering knowledge would be enough to study Physics for my Masters; if not I would consider doing a second Bachelors in Physics. After all even if I do get in, I certainly wouldn't be at the same level compared to other students who have done a Bachelors in Physics.

I would also like to know if Physics learned in a Physics course is much more difficult than that learnt in a Mech Eng course, and how is it different?
    What would be the main core subjects and other subjects in a typical Physics course? For example Mechanics and Thermofluiddynamics would be core subjects while Materials Science and EEE would be secondary.

Thanks for reading my entry and I would really appreciate your input!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    A physics course will teach much more abstract concepts - quantum mechanics being a prime example - and with a more rigorous mathematical basis. However, if you apply for a physics masters which is strongly linked with chemical engineering this may not be an issue. I would suggest speaking to the physics department at your university, who will know more about the situation and may be able to direct you to suitable physicists in research areas that would fit your knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    A physics course will teach much more abstract concepts - quantum mechanics being a prime example - and with a more rigorous mathematical basis. However, if you apply for a physics masters which is strongly linked with chemical engineering this may not be an issue. I would suggest speaking to the physics department at your university, who will know more about the situation and may be able to direct you to suitable physicists in research areas that would fit your knowledge.
    Thanks, but if I do an a second Bachelor's in Physics, do you think my knowledge and practice I've had with Maths in Mech Eng would give me an advantage or not really?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piskantilia)
    Thanks, but if I do an a second Bachelor's in Physics, do you think my knowledge and practice I've had with Maths in Mech Eng would give me an advantage or not really?
    That depends on the mathematical content of your course, but in all likelihood yes. I completed further maths before embarking on a physics degree, and even in my final year was still significantly better at the mathematical element than most of my peers who had not studied further maths.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.