Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So student finance won't fund the first year of my 3 year BSc course. This is because I've already completed a 2 year foundation degree course.

What should I do? What are my options to fund for first year? Because I can't afford to pay £9000 upfront.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    There are no other options I'm afraid. If the Foundation course wasn't an integral part of an overall degree course, then they're treated as separate and you only have two years of SF funding left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master.K)
    So student finance won't fund the first year of my 3 year BSc course. This is because I've already completed a 2 year foundation degree course.

What should I do? What are my options to fund for first year? Because I can't afford to pay £9000 upfront.

Thanks!
    If you've done a 2 year foundation course you can normally top this up to a BSc in a year assuming the BSc is related, that would be your only way of getting round having to pay the money upfront.

ReputationRep:
    So, I havent called SFE to ask this yet but what about someone in my situation? I´ve completed an HND but i studied for ONE year. Does this mean I can get 3 years of funding or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcdermott)
    So, I havent called SFE to ask this yet but what about someone in my situation? I´ve completed an HND but i studied for ONE year. Does this mean I can get 3 years of funding or what?
    I'm afraid that you sadly fall foul of the "Equivalent or Lower Qualifications" (ELQ) rule, which states that you can't get Student Finance for a qualification which is the same level or lower than one that you already have.

As an HND is deemed to be the equivalent of the first two years of a full Honours degree, you'd only get SF for your third year (or your third and fourth years if you did a four year degree).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I'm afraid that you sadly fall foul of the "Equivalent or Lower Qualifications" (ELQ) rule, which states that you can't get Student Finance for a qualification which is the same level or lower than one that you already have.

As an HND is deemed to be the equivalent of the first two years of a full Honours degree, you'd only get SF for your third year (or your third and fourth years if you did a four year degree).
    '

Do you work for the SFE? I talked to them on the phone for 20 minutes and they said "I should be fine" with the funding..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    '

Do you work for the SFE? I talked to them on the phone for 20 minutes and they said "I should be fine" with the funding..
    There is an exception to what Kilx88 said (nursing and similar degrees) but yeah, generally, if you have a HND, you won't get funding for another.

ReputationRep:
    'Do you work for the SFE? I talked to them on the phone for 20 minutes and they said "I should be fine" with the funding..
    I can only think that either I or the SF advisor, have misunderstood something about your situation. Did they explain why they thought you'd be fine? The ELQ rule has been well-established since 2009 - it isn't new and I don't think the terms and conditions have been changed recently. This is the guideline summary document:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_201332.pdf

Is your planned degree one of those on the exclusion list of Exception Courses, for which you can still be funded?

More ELQ details on page 6 of this document:
    http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m...yap_1314_d.pdf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.