Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting Sixth Form ad one of the subjects i have chosen to do is Computing and I was wondering are there any websites which could give me an early start into the course or any advice from people who are doing Computing or have done it?

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    I finished computing this year. Find out which language your college teaches and make a start learning it, I found it very useful to already have some programming experience when I started. Learning any of the theory beforehand is probably pointless, you'll cover it enough on the course, but being able to be one step ahead in the practical is an advantage that sticks around for the whole two years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CosmicAero)
    I will be starting Sixth Form ad one of the subjects i have chosen to do is Computing and I was wondering are there any websites which could give me an early start into the course or any advice from people who are doing Computing or have done it?

Thank You
    You can do what benplumley said, however I suggest you relax. The AS course is not time pressured and pretty easy, even without prior programming experience. If you want to become good then it is a good idea to start learning a programming language and get to grips with all the concepts. Most of this stuff is retaught at uni anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking to get an early start then I'd recommend using a site like http://www.codecademy.com/ to get a good introduction to programming. For AS Computing I'd recommend going through the HTML/CSS & Python courses if you have the time. Although you may end up using a different programming language in Sixth Form, the important thing is to understand the fundamental concepts of programming.

However, it's far from essential for you to do much preparatory work. You will likely be taught everything from scratch in September anyway, so it's not necessary for you to work over the summer if you don't want to. That said, if you have some free time then I'd definitely recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    Multiwingspan and the AQA Computing Wikibook. There's no real point confusing yourself with a new programming language at this stage unless you know for sure it's the one you'll be taught on your course (you're far more likely to do Java or VB.NET than Python at A-Level.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 19, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.