Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...in-grades.html

Apparently this has been the hardest year for exams and people will see a drop in grades.
    Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexKay99)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...in-grades.html

Apparently this has been the hardest year for exams and people will see a drop in grades.
    Thoughts?
    I know nothing on how they chose the grade boundaries for exam grades, but i have learnt from GCSE english, that they can change the grade boundaries. Im unsure if the information im giving you is correct, but i have heard that if pupils havnt done well, they drop the boundaries, making it easier to get better grades. but i have also heard that they are making them harder to ensure less pupils get A* etc. im unsure if this is actually true, but that is what i have heard.

I am too worried about my grades, especially since the sixth form go to, you get kicked out if fail 2 of the subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice Moody)
    I know nothing on how they chose the grade boundaries for exam grades, but i have learnt from GCSE english, that they can change the grade boundaries. Im unsure if the information im giving you is correct, but i have heard that if pupils havnt done well, they drop the boundaries, making it easier to get better grades. but i have also heard that they are making them harder to ensure less pupils get A* etc. im unsure if this is actually true, but that is what i have heard.

I am too worried about my grades, especially since the sixth form go to, you get kicked out if fail 2 of the subjects
    Its so worrying! And all the reforms don't help at all. Its so unfair that they just decide to punish everyone like this I hope you get the grades that you want. I done English Literature for A Level and it is my most important exam so I'm scared!

Most of my exams were pretty hard:cry:
      The grade boundaries have to be low

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by arfah)
      Most of my exams were pretty hard:cry:
      The grade boundaries have to be low
      Hopefully your right. My exams were also tricky.

ReputationRep:
      Its so worrying! And all the reforms don't help at all. Its so unfair that they just decide to punish everyone like this I hope you get the grades that you want. I done English Literature for A Level and it is my most important exam so I'm scared!
      I'm sure you'll be fine. and i hope you get the grades you want
      • TSR Support Team
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      I do hope this is not the case. However, it is true that if the majority of the cohort is unsuccessful, then they will drop the grade boundaries from the last years. They usually do this for exam by 1 or 2 marks, so not making much of a difference if you secure a good grade. It doesn't seem to effect coursework marking as it usually stays the same.

I know my A2 Philosophy exam went awful, the A2 Ethics went a whole lot better. But because Philosophy is harder, their grade boundaries are usually lower and Ethics is higher. So I don't know how things like that work where it's not at an even standpoint.

But I'm just hoping I get the grades I need to get into my firm choice uni!

ReputationRep:
      My thoughts are...

Thank goodness my A levels were last year.

Hopefully your right. My exams were also tricky.
        Are you in AS?? and what subjects do you do, if you don't mind me asking

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by arfah)
        Are you in AS?? and what subjects do you do, if you don't mind me asking
        I actually did both in one year. I did English Literature, Biology and Russian.
        I found the AS more difficult than A2 which I thought was strange.

I actually did both in one year. I did English Literature, Biology and Russian.
          I found the AS more difficult than A2 which I thought was strange.
          Must have been harder for you then!
          Russian?? wow sounds cool:cool:I'm into languages too!
          I'm doing English lit, History, Politics and Psychology
          Hopefully my A2 will be easier as well

ReputationRep:
          My A2 English Lit exam was a *****! Plus my year was the second to do these newly set texts so there wasn't much to revise from. Hopefully the grade boundaries fall hard.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Ndella)
          My A2 English Lit exam was a *****! Plus my year was the second to do these newly set texts so there wasn't much to revise from. Hopefully the grade boundaries fall hard.
          Yeah, I did EngLit as well, OCR, the poem at AS was a killer!

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by arfah)
          Must have been harder for you then!
          Russian?? wow sounds cool:cool:I'm into languages too!
          I'm doing English lit, History, Politics and Psychology
          Hopefully my A2 will be easier as well
          Yep, I was interested in Russian before I started A Level so I studied it for a while now, I hope to continue at university.
          I started doing psychology but I had to drop it because of timetable problems but it was interesting, although the methodology was boring.
          I would have loved to continue with history at A Level but me and history have a love-hate relationship, I can't handle learning topics I'm not interested in but there is only one course!

ReputationRep:
          A2 AQA physics was pretty god damn hard this year... I need an A too.

Woe is me

ReputationRep:
          This is so worrying.

Yep, I was interested in Russian before I started A Level so I studied it for a while now, I hope to continue at university.
            I started doing psychology but I had to drop it because of timetable problems but it was interesting, although the methodology was boring.
            I would have loved to continue with history at A Level but me and history have a love-hate relationship, I can't handle learning topics I'm not interested in but there is only one course!
            That's amazing!! Russian at university! I'd like to do law.. :rolleyes: Psychology is the one subject I cant stand tbh, I'm dropping it next year..I absolutely love History however, I can fairly say it's the best A level choice I have made, I get what you mean about the love/ hate though! Sometimes I cant stand it! but it's the one subject I have some confidence in I think I tend to do well in subjects that require analysing, hence, I hate psychology because the exams mostly require remembering

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
            Yeah, I did EngLit as well, OCR, the poem at AS was a killer!
            Which poet did you do or are you at A2 now?

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by arfah)
            That's amazing!! Russian at university! I'd like to do law.. :rolleyes: Psychology is the one subject I cant stand tbh, I'm dropping it next year..I absolutely love History however, I can fairly say it's the best A level choice I have made, I get what you mean about the love/ hate though! Sometimes I cant stand it! but it's the one subject I have some confidence in I think I tend to do well in subjects that require analysing, hence, I hate psychology because the exams mostly require remembering

Posted from TSR Mobile
            Oh yes, learning things off by heart is not learning! Law sounds amazing, very difficult but if you love analysing then its perfect for you! I actually want to do English Lit and Russian together, because I love analysing as well! I do biology and even though you have to learn off things there, the exam questions require analysing and applying that knowledge that you have learned to practical situations and so it wasn't that bad.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Ndella)
            Which poet did you do or are you at A2 now?
            I did W.B Yeats and I did both AS and A2 this year so its pretty much over for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
          Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.