The Student Room Group

A levels this year will 'drop'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by AlexKay99
Oh yes, learning things off by heart is not learning! Law sounds amazing, very difficult but if you love analysing then its perfect for you! I actually want to do English Lit and Russian together, because I love analysing as well! I do biology and even though you have to learn off things there, the exam questions require analysing and applying that knowledge that you have learned to practical situations and so it wasn't that bad.:smile:

Yea, it really isn't, it's basically a memory test which I suck at:lol:
Law is a very good degree:yes: but I plan to go into politics eventually:smug:
I agree with the analysing part! Seems like I'd be suited to do Law then.
Oooh that's sounds even better, English lit and Russian:daydreaming: What made you change your mind?? I don't like any science, well maybe physics:smile: I never understood biology/chemistry in high school:colonhash:
Reply 41
English Literature (ironically) at Edinburgh AAA but I'm still in a bit of an undecided stage, we'll see!
What about you?

Haha, for me History at Essex BBB (though I think I failed my retake :frown:)
Reply 42
Original post by arfah
Yea, it really isn't, it's basically a memory test which I suck at:lol:
Law is a very good degree:yes: but I plan to go into politics eventually:smug:
I agree with the analysing part! Seems like I'd be suited to do Law then.
Oooh that's sounds even better, English lit and Russian:daydreaming: What made you change your mind?? I don't like any science, well maybe physics:smile: I never understood biology/chemistry in high school:colonhash:

I just figured I didn't want to stop studying a language once I picked it up, I did Spanish before but I had to drop it because of timetabling issues, it was quite sad.
Politics is great, I essentially want to go into journalism so I might be dealing with that as well!
Lol, Physics is literally the only science I can't stand and maths (I think its considered a science as well) its ironic because chemistry is probably my fave but I couldn't take that either because of timetabling! :frown:
Reply 43
Original post by Ndella
Haha, for me History at Essex BBB (though I think I failed my retake :frown:)

History sounds great, I wish I could have continued with it but English also has a lot of history involved, possibly even more at uni. BBB doesn't sound that bad, hopefully you'll get what you want!
Original post by Marky Mark
What's worrying? That you actually have to be apply your knowledge instead of rote learning entire specifications?

I think it's a good thing that people who study 24/7 will find it harder to maintain top grades through-out all their subjects in favour of reserving the top grades to students who actually deserve it.

I sat my A-levels nearly 4 years ago and I have to say that since then exams have been a complete joke.

I do all science related subjects and I can honestly say if I sat the paper's 4 years ago I would've got A's. 4 years ago paper in comparison to this years paper's was so easy. :frown:
Just praying for lower grade boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in AS, and was predicted AABB....lol no...those exams were horrible :frown: Results day is my birthday.....so i guess i'll be drinking my troubles away xD I just hope it's not like that for A2 :redface:
Reply 47
I just figured I didn't want to stop studying a language once I picked it up, I did Spanish before but I had to drop it because of timetabling issues, it was quite sad.
Politics is great, I essentially want to go into journalism so I might be dealing with that as well!
Lol, Physics is literally the only science I can't stand and maths (I think its considered a science as well) its ironic because chemistry is probably my fave but I couldn't take that either because of timetabling! :frown:

I understand, I love languages as well, I can speak about 5 fluently:smug: Dutch is my absolute favourite, and I wish I could speak Russian:daydreaming:
You probably will encounter political events!:lol:
Well, ironically, I don't like maths but have a thing for physics:sexface:
Poor you! But the A levels you've chosen are brilliant! So don't worry about it:smile:
Original post by arfah
I understand, I love languages as well, I can speak about 5 fluently:smug: Dutch is my absolute favourite, and I wish I could speak Russian:daydreaming:
Poor you! But the A levels you've chosen are brilliant! So don't worry about it:smile:

You can't speak English properly though :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by daindian
You can't speak English properly though :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, Milan bhai, where you been?:lol:
Reply 50
Original post by infinitytheory
I'm in AS, and was predicted AABB....lol no...those exams were horrible :frown: Results day is my birthday.....so i guess i'll be drinking my troubles away xD I just hope it's not like that for A2 :redface:

lol I seen a meme about exam results once, it pictured a bottle of vodka and a bottle of bleach with the caption 'it can go either way'.
Hope your birthday will be a good one. A horrible thing to have a ****ty birthday!
Reply 51
Original post by arfah

5 is amazing, I want to be a polyglot!! It must be so brilliant.
lol I seen a meme about exam results once, it pictured a bottle of vodka and a bottle of bleach with the caption 'it can go either way'.
Hope your birthday will be a good one. A horrible thing to have a ****ty birthday!

hahaahahah xD mine will be cider in 1 hand and vodka in the other...it will depend on how much alcohol i need xD
Reply 53
5 is amazing, I want to be a polyglot!! It must be so brilliant.

I think it was easy for me to be a polygot:lol: I mean, I was born in Amsterdam, so I learnt Dutch and Flemish, my parents are Asian, so I can speak Urdu and Punjabi and finally I speak English, oh and I can understand German/French:smug:
It is cool:cool: You could be one, just travel the world!:woo:
Reply 54
Original post by arfah
I think it was easy for me to be a polygot:lol: I mean, I was born in Amsterdam, so I learnt Dutch and Flemish, my parents are Asian, so I can speak Urdu and Punjabi and finally I speak English, oh and I can understand German/French:smug:
It is cool:cool: You could be one, just travel the world!:woo:

That's amazing, yes, there is no better way to learn a new language than to practice it in the actual country. :smile:
Reply 55
Thank you:hat2:
Agreed, I'd like to learn Chinese as well:lazy:
Reply 56
They were different for sure. In most of my exams, they were far different from any past papers I've seen. It's probably the feeling that people have no preparation once they look at the exam paper that probably made it hard. But hey that's just me.
Reply 57
Original post by Trainz
They were different for sure. In most of my exams, they were far different from any past papers I've seen. It's probably the feeling that people have no preparation once they look at the exam paper that probably made it hard. But hey that's just me.

Which exams did you do? AS or A2?
I got the feeling that AS was harder than A2 because I did both this year, may be they are preparing the current Year 12's for harder A2's that way?
Reply 58
Which exams did you do? AS or A2?
I got the feeling that AS was harder than A2 because I did both this year, may be they are preparing the current Year 12's for harder A2's that way?

I just did AS. I think that you're right about preparing us for harder A2s, although I wish it isn't like that. Having to work harder than previous years will suck though. Oh well.
You have to remember that the new comers found it extremely difficult. I remember I saw people on twitter singing petitions to lower the C1 grade boundaries saying it was 'extremely difficult', and the same for other exams. But as an A2 student I found the test papers quite fair and there were only a few questions I thought were tricky. They'll lower the grade boundaries for sure

Quick Reply

Latest