Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Paid Teacher roles for returning Gappers Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I'm going on a TEFL trip to Uganda later in the year, and a friend of mine has just told me about this charity www.Teachfirst.org.uk anyone know it? It offers paid teaching roles to grads, even if not-qualified!?

She's planning to apply now, and then come back from travelling for September 2016 and go straight into a paid teaching role. Apprently they value gap year teaching experience loads... Does anyone know anything about Teach First as a programme, do a lot of gappers go for it - it seems ideal to me!?! Too good surely?! Any insight anyone?

Thanks!
    Luce

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyAiy)
    Hiya,

I'm going on a TEFL trip to Uganda later in the year, and a friend of mine has just told me about this charity www.Teachfirst.org.uk anyone know it? It offers paid teaching roles to grads, even if not-qualified!?

She's planning to apply now, and then come back from travelling for September 2016 and go straight into a paid teaching role. Apprently they value gap year teaching experience loads... Does anyone know anything about Teach First as a programme, do a lot of gappers go for it - it seems ideal to me!?! Too good surely?! Any insight anyone?

Thanks!
    Luce
    You will find a lot more information on Teach First in the Education and Teaching forum. I'll move this there. Look carefully at all the threads there to see if it is right for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyAiy)
    Hiya,

Thanks!
    Luce
    Teach first is a teacher training programme that is two years long. You are paid for the two years and get a pgce qualification when you finish. You are given 6 weeks training in summer and then you start teaching in some of the countries most underprivileged schools. You can be placed anywhere in the country (although you get to give a preference) and can be asked to teach any subject. If you have any a levels in a shortage subject (maths, science, mfl) you will likely be asked to teach one if those, although again you can express a preference.

It is a gruelling two years and a very difficult way to train to be a teacher. Look at the threads on here for teach first last year to get an indication of what it is like.

ReputationRep:
    Entering into any teacher training programme is not a decision to be taken lightly. It is commonly referred to as the most difficult year(s) of your life.

If you want to be a teacher and like the aims and style of Teach First then go for it, but if it just sounds like a bit of an interesting idea that you're curious about, then I would do some serious thinking before applying.

Look for the recent BBC 3 documentary called Tough New Teachers (or was it Tough Young Teachers) for an idea of what it involves.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.