The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Fair enough.

On a side query, do people take A Levels because they actually 'like' their subjects, or because they work hard and get good grades in them.

A bit of both really. Personally, the subjects I enjoyed the most were also the ones I felt I was most likely to get good grades in, so my choices were an easy decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JAIYEKO
French or a MFL is extremely well looked up by top top Universities even when you achieve an A* in it, so your first point is invalid.

Geology is advisable for (Petroleum) Engineering and so your second point is also invalid.

If you don't know me, you'll know that I capable of achieving 99% at all 7 A-Levels.

Au revoir

do them pal, 7 A-Levels is piss easy. quite frankly, it's a bit disappointing that you're not doing anymore!

may i suggest some extra A-levels that you can do that will ideally give you an advantage over other candidates for Medicine? they are the following:

Bra Studies
Textiles
Fire Studies
Glass Studies
Holocaust Studies

you ****ing idiot.
It won't give you any advantage, end of. Do it if you want.

However, please do come back next year and the year after to let us see if you really are capable of it. I'm sure we would all be interested.

oh my I needed that laugh today, thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JAIYEKO
Hiya, I went to my Sixth Form open day recently and contemplating on doing the following A-Level subjects, should I have any chance of achieving all A*s at A2.

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

I'm aware GCSEs is ridiculously easy compared to AS let along A2 and they're almost irreverent to University applications, but I'm determined to get 6A*s at A2 and overall before making my way to Oxbridge to study Medicine or Engineering, or in order words whatever profession can make me the most.

I'm going to a private SF and so timetable would be personified for me to fit the above subjects.

If you want to do medicine, do 4 or 5 AS and spend the rest of the time making your personal statement look good i.e. volunteering at care homes, wide reading etc.
Original post by JAIYEKO
Hiya, I went to my Sixth Form open day recently and contemplating on doing the following A-Level subjects, should I have any chance of achieving all A*s at A2.

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

I'm aware GCSEs is ridiculously easy compared to AS let along A2 and they're almost irreverent to University applications, but I'm determined to get 6A*s at A2 and overall before making my way to Oxbridge to study Medicine or Engineering, or in order words whatever profession can make me the most.

I'm going to a private SF and so timetable would be personified for me to fit the above subjects.

*sniff, sniff* Do I smell a troll?
6/7 won't out you at an advantage, nor will it be particularly manageable. I somehow doubt that they would fit 7 A levels in since that would be 26 contact hours just for the lessons each week.
Original post by ✈ ✈
If you want to get into Oxbridge, or any other high ranking universities, then I suggest you focus on your extracurricular activities, and attend seminars, summer schools and events related to your chosen field.

Whilst the OP of the thread is a clear troll this post sounds serious and I felt I should add something on to it:

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/parents/faq.html

In particular, I feel the important bit is this:

"Your son's or daughter's participation (or not) in specific extra-curricular activities that are not relevant to the course applied for are not taken into account and do not affect their chances of being made an offer of a place at Cambridge."

Something which I felt your post didn't address and could in fact have been easily interpreted the other way, and the idea that Cambridge want vast swathes of non relevant extra curriculars is an unfortunately all too common myth.

(To the OP; in the off-chance that you are serious that website also answers your question)

Also, a brief 5 minute look tells you that several of the people replying here have nothing to do with Oxbridge and are citing information that in some cases flatly contradicts the readily available literature Cambridge (And I'm sure Oxford) have online. If you want reliable information then I would really suggest getting in contact with the university themselves, asking for citations, or looking at one of the excellent "Ask an Admissions Tutor" threads here to avoid getting caught up in the spread of complete misinformation of info about either of the two unis and to get some really useful answers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes

Thanks for clarifying this!

Looking through the Cambridge Applicants articles here through the years it did seem that for some courses, medicine/engineering in particular, most of the offers given were to candidates with experience within the industry, or awards, such as in STEM fairs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by Pectorac
Your first year of being a doctor will earn you 22k. The second year 28k, and you won't reach 40k until you're about 30. The very top consultants 'only' earn about 100k, which is not rich.

I understand the need to combat the idea that doctors are immediately rolling in it and that they earn far more than everyone else (their initial earnings compared to the earnings of people their age who did other subjects and then started graduate roles two to three years earlier are obviously not necessarily lightyears ahead, depending on the field the others are in), however, this is simply not true.

Those are the basic, unbanded salaries. It's incredibly unlikely that a newly-qualified doctor will have only unbanded jobs. They will earn a certain percentage (20-50%) above that for at least a third of the year, generally more than a third from what I have seen doctors mention on here. The most recent one I saw mentioned was 3x 1b jobs, which is 40% for the entire year, ie £32k.
I think you're insane. Just do 4 AS subjects, drop one, and then get 3A*'s if you're capable. You don't need that many subjects. To me, you sound far too confident, getting A's is tough you know, let alone A*'s. Doesn't mean you can't do it though. Especially with no January exams, life will be tougher. I disagree with getting rid of jan exams. Big mistake
Original post by JAIYEKO
French or a MFL is extremely well looked up by top top Universities even when you achieve an A* in it, so your first point is invalid.

Geology is advisable for (Petroleum) Engineering and so your second point is also invalid.

If you don't know me, you'll know that I capable of achieving 99% at all 7 A-Levels.

Au revoir

French is one of the hardest A-Levels, ridiculous workload.
Don't do it, this coming from someone who did AS this year. I'd do all but French & Geology.
If the person is up for doing 6/7 A-Levels, its up to them. However their social life and extra-circulars will be affected later in life...

Spoiler

Original post by ✈ ✈
Thanks for clarifying this!

Looking through the Cambridge Applicants articles here through the years it did seem that for some courses, medicine/engineering in particular, most of the offers given were to candidates with experience within the industry, or awards, such as in STEM fairs.

Experience relevant to the degree is important, I agree, and I think Cambridge states that in the FAQ I just posted. However, "extra-curriculars" is an exceptionally broad umbrella and there is a definite myth that extra-curriculars that are not directly relevant, like Music and Sports, are vital. I help out at Open Days for my college and there is always a steady stream of people who are worried Cambridge is not for them because of their lack of irrelevant extra-curriculars, and (having been put off by similar issues before I applied; as I literally do very little other than my subject of any interest) it is a myth I am keen to dispel.
Reply 93
Original post by SinaPars
How so?

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/doctors/pay-for-doctors/

I would not call £100,000 rich by any means. :smile: Although it is very good pay, it is not what OP is expecting.

You can of course make lots more in private practice, especially in cosmetics, and although they can earn a lot more than they would working for NHS you have got to take into consideration legal insurance and the cost of practicing. After you have taken out the various expenses for private practice they probably earn a lot less than you would expect. That being said they do very well for themselves, but as above probably not what OP is expecting.

I suspect that OP would only be satisfied with making what a hedge fund manager makes! :biggrin:
Reply 94
The average entry tariff for Oxbridge and other top Universities appear high (500+) which suggests that the average applicant has more than 3 a levels at grade A or above.
I know 2 people who did 5 A2s, both had brilliant GCSEs and high UMS averages and neither of them got into Oxbridge, yet I know people who only did 3 and even one of them was a soft subject and they did so if you're not Oxbridge material, no matter how many A2s you do you won't get in.
Reply 96

wow, I was expecting more, thanks for the enlightenment lol
Reply 97
This guys narcissistic personality infuriates me. He asks for a bit of input which everyone is giving him and he is shooting everyone down. Alienation at it's finest. :mmm:
Original post by Pectorac
Your first year of being a doctor will earn you 22k. The second year 28k, and you won't reach 40k until you're about 30. The very top consultants 'only' earn about 100k, which is not rich.

Original post by Ronove
I understand the need to combat the idea that doctors are immediately rolling in it and that they earn far more than everyone else (their initial earnings compared to the earnings of people their age who did other subjects and then started graduate roles two to three years earlier are obviously not necessarily lightyears ahead, depending on the field the others are in), however, this is simply not true.

Those are the basic, unbanded salaries. It's incredibly unlikely that a newly-qualified doctor will have only unbanded jobs. They will earn a certain percentage (20-50%) above that for at least a third of the year, generally more than a third from what I have seen doctors mention on here. The most recent one I saw mentioned was 3x 1b jobs, which is 40% for the entire year, ie £32k.

In addition, its worth remembering that the vast majority of 100K+ jobs in the UK are in London, where costs have become absurd. If you're achieving a 100K salary outside of London you're effective wealth is much higher - only the most out of touch would not call that rich.
(edited 9 years ago)
Realistically, do you think you're Zlatan?

Latest