Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just received a letter from my Sixth Form telling me that I can undergo a Level 3 Maths course, if I didn't pick Maths anyway and think that it's useful for me, which I do for 2 years for 2 hours a week and it's the same as an AS Level at the end of it. My question is: is this worth it as Unis only really look at A2 grades? But will this still be good along side 4 AS Levels/3A2s (time management wise and difficulty)? And will this benefit me as I want to do Biology/Chemistry at Uni but am not doing a 'solid' Maths A Level? THANK YOU I have until Friday 18th to decide.. aaah!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    All sciences at university are very mathematical, so the level 3 qualification would definitely be more useful than if you don't offer anything at all. In terms of time-management etc., that's really something only you can know - but it is certainly doable along with a normal load provided you're prepared to work hard at it.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry at least is supposed to be quite mathematical at undergrad level, to the point where a few unis require maths A level so it might be worth doing the full A level. However just going off this level 3 qualification, although uni's will usually offer additional maths help if needed, doing 2 hours a week extra of maths is good practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Chemistry at least is supposed to be quite mathematical at undergrad level, to the point where a few unis require maths A level so it might be worth doing the full A level. However just going off this level 3 qualification, although uni's will usually offer additional maths help if needed, doing 2 hours a week extra of maths is good practice.
    (Original post by tory88)
    All sciences at university are very mathematical, so the level 3 qualification would definitely be more useful than if you don't offer anything at all. In terms of time-management etc., that's really something only you can know - but it is certainly doable along with a normal load provided you're prepared to work hard at it.

Okay, thanks guys! What I think I will do is take the actual AS Maths course and drop another AS course at GCSE Results Day, meaning that I have 4 AS Levels (Bio, Chem, Maths and History), so the workload will be more manageable and more suitable for a Science Uni course. Do you think this is a good idea?

As my other option is to do the 2 years of the Level 3 Maths (and only get an AS), meaning that in Y13, I'd be doing at least 3 A2 Levels AND that Level 3 Maths course. Or I could drop the Level 3 Maths after Y12 (meaning that I will have some, but not much, experience with Maths, yet not getting any grade at all), but then only having at least 3 A2s to do in Y13.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMargetts)
    Okay, thanks guys! What I think I will do is take the actual AS Maths course and drop another AS course at GCSE Results Day, meaning that I have 4 AS Levels (Bio, Chem, Maths and History), so the workload will be more manageable and more suitable for a Science Uni course. Do you think this is a good idea?

As my other option is to do the 2 years of the Level 3 Maths (and only get an AS), meaning that in Y13, I'd be doing at least 3 A2 Levels AND that Level 3 Maths course. Or I could drop the Level 3 Maths after Y12 (meaning that I will have some, but not much, experience with Maths, yet not getting any grade at all), but then only having at least 3 A2s to do in Y13.
    Provided you think you will cope, and are prepared to work hard at it, I think taking maths is an excellent idea. It will strengthen your application, and be useful in your further studies as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    Provided you think you will cope, and are prepared to work hard at it, I think taking maths is an excellent idea. It will strengthen your application, and be useful in your further studies as well.

Thank you so much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.