Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just a place for pepole to discuss their views on Education and the Education Sytem.

It seems as though we all get taught the same thing (near enough) through primary school up to secondary school, and even when you take you A-Levels/BTECS, the subjects you choose also follow a curiculumn.

Is this the best way ?

Make everyone learn the same thing, then test them on how well they store information/revise ?

Are there any better ways to exmine students?

Are exams even the best option ?

Is this why the majority of the population lack creativity skills?

I believe that the best way to learn, is to take onboard what you get taught, but question it.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination."

“The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.”

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.”
    Albert Einstein

DISCUSS !

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that exams are the best option. Exams and tests have a place, yes, but it shouldn't be as big as Gove has made it (tg he's out).

Mark Twain said "I have never let my schooling intefere with my education". I think that this distinction between education and schooling is really important. It seems like the best qualifier for people who 'do well' at school are being good at exam technique and memorising lots of information off by heart. What life skills do pupils gain from that? None. Let people study what they love and give them help when they need it. Here is a really interesting TEDx talk on the subject.

I read a book by Lord Baker, an ex-education secretary, which is effectively summarised in this article. I think that this would make a pretty good education system.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do the shamelessly lazy thing and link a TED talk on this very subject.

I can't help it, they're brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flopsybunnybell)
    I don't think that exams are the best option. Exams and tests have a place, yes, but it shouldn't be as big as Gove has made it (tg he's out).

Mark Twain said "I have never let my schooling intefere with my education". I think that this distinction between education and schooling is really important. It seems like the best qualifier for people who 'do well' at school are being good at exam technique and memorising lots of information off by heart. What life skills do pupils gain from that? None. Let people study what they love and give them help when they need it. Here is a really interesting TEDx talk on the subject.

I read a book by Lord Baker, an ex-education secretary, which is effectively summarised in this article. I think that this would make a pretty good education system.

Yeah, I see where you are coming from with this, examination is needed or some form of scoring system maybe ? but it should not be relied on, i don't think, and yes doing something you enjoy doing really helps with succeeding in it, but will you be able to survive off doing the things you love ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedd)
    I'm going to do the shamelessly lazy thing and link a TED talk on this very subject.

I can't help it, they're brilliant!

Yeah, I watch a few of this, and i think this is the one thank kind of stimulated the start of this thread

ReputationRep:
    It's going to be a STEM vs arts thread...

STEM ftw

ReputationRep:
    I think we need a balance between STEM and arts - interdisciplinary learning is the future. For example, learning about the maths and the physics behind music or combining the study of history and literature.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.