Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone receive any accomodation offers as of such for UCA Epsom.. I received mine last week however I am sceptical about the accomodation I was allocated as I did not get a chance to view it when I went on for my interview is anyone able to offer their perspective of any of the UCA accomodation they viewed in Epsom?? It sure would be a great help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I lived in Wilberforce Court from November 2013 - June 2014.
    WILBERFORCE COURT NORTH PROS AND CONS
    (PROS)
    - Lovely building. Incredibly homely atmosphere inside and out.
    - Very clean communal area (kitchen) and I like how there's a couch too for you to just chill out and talk to flatmates
    - Modern appliances i.e. 8 cookers (hobs), 2 ovens, 1 microwave, 1 fridge/freezer, several cupboard spaces, overall a very well equipped kitchen
    - Girls and guys separate bathroom
    - Telephones in each individual bedroom which students can top up credit on and call other users or make calls internationally or to home etc - (This was very convenient to me because my phone stopped working for like 2 months and i had no immediate replacement plans due to funding)
    - You never feel alone when you're in halls
    - Cleaner comes every week to clean bathrooms and communal area (kitchen) and corridor

CONS
    - The cleaner makes a racket when cleaning the showers every week. If you have no class one day and you plan on having a lie in, don't count on it if the cleaner's coming that day. You can hear quite a lot from your room, and the corridor echoes. Having a hoover being slammed against you door as she cleans the corridor isn't the best of experiences.
    - When people talk in the corridor, you'll hear them and they'll hear you.
    - Rooms that are next to each other: you'll be able to hear your flatmate talking on the phone or getting freaky if you catch my drift lol
    - It's a shared flat. There's bound to be someone who doesn't carry their weight in the kitchen. The cleaner does not clean the kitchen if the counter tops are cluttered and the sink is full with dishes. Then you'll have to go another week with a dirty kitchen lol. OR you could take it upon yourself to clean the kitchen i guess lool. Me and my flatmates had a few rows about dishes in the past, but we eventually got through it.
    - The floor tends to get quite sticky lol, i dunno if this was just a thing with my flat or.. but yeah. sticky floor.
    - You have to empty the kitchen bin yourself (share the responsibility among your flat) but as always, there's gunna be someone who's difficult to live with and yeah, you end up with a queue of bin liners waiting for someone to take it downstairs to the rubbish crates. (My flat was on the top floor, which was the 2cnd floor, and dragging the bins all the way down wasn't the best of experiences.)
    - Be prepared for the endless number of wasps/bees or the rare bird that flies into your room despite you being on the 2cnd floor
    -People can see you in your room from the building across the street which also has multiple floors, so make sure those curtains are kept shut in the evenings LOL
    -Carrying food shopping up the stairs was one of the worst memories of halls i have.
    -Accomodation will charge you for the smallest of things! I moved in late and forgot to give in a sheet stating the room inventory. When i moved into my room i noticed my chair had a slight burn in it, COMPLETELY NOT DONE BY ME. I kinda shrugged it off and assumed they CHECKED the standard of the rooms before letting students move in... nope. The *******s charged me last month (July 2014) but after writing a very long and angry letter of complaint about how i moved in late and my door was LEFT UNLOCKED before i arrived (meaning my flatmates or ANYONE coming into the flat had access to my room) they dismissed the charge B) oh yeaaaahhh! so yeah dont make my mistake and give in ALL the forms when you get there, and make sure your room is in the best shape. trust me when i say they will find ANYTHING to charge you for.
    for example: my flatmates, they told me about how they all used to wonder into my room before i arrived just out of boredom. my room had this small shelf that my flatmate thought would be helpful for her because she has literally 100s of books. now at this point, it was november and still no one had moved in yet, so i would have done the same thing. my flatmate took the shelf and had been using it in her room. now when i arrived, obviously i didnt notice anything different. although bear in mind i didnt properly look through the inventory sheet they gave me, i was just relieved too finally be in halls! so throughout the year my flatmates told me about their wondering through my room when bored, and the shelf that my flatmate now uses and i found it quite funny. now, at the end of our stay in halls, my flatmate did not return the shelf and was charged for it simply being in her room. lol. need i say more?

Now, despite all these cons, even though there was an awful lot, I loved every minute of my stay there! It's a wonderful experience; living in halls, the lecture room is literally a 20 second walk away, and you could run and hide in your room during the first few days if you dont like your coursemates hahaha. But yeah, Wilberforce Court North is the best accomodation. Ensuite isnt worth the extra money. The only pro from the ensuite accomodation is that its the closest to the laundry rooms. anymore questions for me? please feel free to ask, i love talking about my time in halls lol i have loads more stories of the things about people in the building, the security guards, the wardens, other residents LOL. so many. hope this was useful.

Bernadette

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bishbashboshboo)
    Anyone receive any accomodation offers as of such for UCA Epsom.. I received mine last week however I am sceptical about the accomodation I was allocated as I did not get a chance to view it when I went on for my interview is anyone able to offer their perspective of any of the UCA accomodation they viewed in Epsom?? It sure would be a great help!

Hi there, I am a second year UCA student working with the marketing team today just wondering have you looked at the video for UCA accommodation just to get a rough idea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZArIBLqeJiI

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.