The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham 2015 Entry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blitzkrieg15
That depends on how far they go with their expansion plans. At present they have been in full throttle with developments and new ideas for the UK campuses. Never thought leading companies would set their HQ on campus for one, and GSK funding building projects for two, and the GSK CEO running the university for three. Who knows, they may get Microsoft on board next!

As for new campuses abroad, they were looking at Shanghai a few years back, not sure if that will go ahead. I'd be surprised if they didn't go for more developments, they are really leading the way as a global university.

There are some impressive developments, I'm not denying that. It's why I firmed them. But you can't ignore the building boom happening at many universities at the moment. Sheffield for example with their Diamond and future engineering centre for 2050. And Manchester's graphene institute and redevelopment of the majority of its buildings by 2020.

I think Nottingham needs to do more to stay ahead in a very competitive world of higher education, though I think it's heading in the right direction. I hope it starts to gain a domestic perception of being closer to Bristol and Durham in terms of reputation and difficulty to get into, like it used to. Right now I think it's marginally above Manchester and Birmingham.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Exceptional
There are some impressive developments, I'm not denying that. It's why I firmed them. But you can't ignore the building boom happening at many universities at the moment. Sheffield for example with their Diamond and future engineering centre for 2050. And Manchester's graphene institute and redevelopment of the majority of its buildings by 2020.

I think Nottingham needs to do more to stay ahead in a very competitive world of higher education, though I think it's heading in the right direction. I hope it starts to gain a domestic perception of being closer to Bristol and Durham in terms of reputation and difficulty to get into, like it used to. Right now I think it's marginally above Manchester and Birmingham.

For their strongest departments, such as Economics, Law, Pharmacy, Medicine etc they ask for A*AA/AAA, so they are competitive. It is for their newer and lesser courses that they struggle to get people in with anything better than BBB/BBC. With an annual intake of 8,000 students per year, they won't all get AAA.
(edited 9 years ago)
For their strongest departments, such as Economics, Law, Medicine etc they ask for A*AA, so they are competitive. It is for their newer and lesser courses that they struggle to get people in with anything better than BBB/BBC.

Yeah, I think it's the sort of place that has the brightest students and more average students roaming its beautiful campus. I wish they'd close that gap a bit, instead of having so many thousands of students, considering most jobs don't require a specific degree and employers might notice a diverging ability in terms of its two Nottingham graduate interviewees.
Yeah, I think it's the sort of place that has the brightest students and more average students roaming its beautiful campus. I wish they'd close that gap a bit, instead of having so many thousands of students, considering most jobs don't require a specific degree and employers might notice a diverging ability in terms of its two Nottingham graduate interviewees.

In today's graduate job market you need a 2.1, ideally in a subject which employers value, plus AAB at A level. So regardless, most graduates are going to be disappointed later on in life, going into jobs that didn't require a degree.
In today's graduate job market you need a 2.1, ideally in a subject which employers value, plus AAB at A level. So regardless, most graduates are going to be disappointed later on in life, going into jobs that didn't require a degree.

And that's exactly why Nottingham needs to close the gap between the calibre of students it takes, because eventually employment rates will start to drop.
And that's exactly why Nottingham needs to close the gap between the calibre of students it takes, because eventually employment rates will start to drop.

They will do this by making it the most desirable university to come to, one with the best facilities, and one which the most employers target. Just bumping up the entry requirements for good measure will lead to a drop in applications, as what happened with Lancaster recently. Employers will only take the cream of Nottingham graduates.

With regards to grades on entry, Nottingham have said recently that they are moving in the right direction with AABB being the average grades a student comes with, but that they are determined to raise that higher gradually.

Bristol are at AAAA, Durham at A*A*AA, so some work to do, but amongst Nottingham's 8,000 annual intake they will have plenty with those grades.
(edited 9 years ago)
They will do this by making it the most desirable university to come to, one with the best facilities, and one which the most employers target. Just bumping up the entry requirements for good measure will lead to a drop in applications, as what happened with Lancaster recently. Employers will only take the cream of Nottingham graduates.

The number of applicants doesn't determine how good the university is - Manchester Met and Nottingham Trent are in the top 5 most applied to too, and that's because they cater for a wide variety of students. Being the cream of 33,000 students is harder at Nottingham than if it had less people studying there.

Surrey saw an increase this year in applications by 35% because the Guardian put them in some grossly hyperbolic rank up the league table, because most people, at my school anyway, see domestic league tables as an accurate representation of a university's quality, which is stupid. But these are the sort of people who'll be CEOs of top companies in another 20 years. Nottingham places in the top 3 by the High Fliers largely because many employing from these universities will have been from the 90s or so, when Nottingham was seen as a prime Oxbridge alternative. I want it to get back to that level and I just hope the university is doing enough to ensure that happens.
The number of applicants doesn't determine how good the university is - Manchester Met and Nottingham Trent are in the top 5 most applied to too, and that's because they cater for a wide variety of students. Being the cream of 33,000 students is harder at Nottingham than if it had less people studying there.

Surrey saw an increase this year in applications by 35% because the Guardian put them in some grossly hyperbolic rank up the league table, because most people, at my school anyway, see domestic league tables as an accurate representation of a university's quality, which is stupid. But these are the sort of people who'll be CEOs of top companies in another 20 years. Nottingham places in the top 3 by the High Fliers largely because many employing from these universities will have been from the 90s or so, when Nottingham was seen as a prime Oxbridge alternative. I want it to get back to that level and I just hope the university is doing enough to ensure that happens.

I think most students, especially those from good schools, are told to aim for the Russell Group, and then to pick the ones they feel most happy with. League tables play a part, but over the years even Durham (once ranked 17th) and St Andrews (once ranked 26th) have had blips. The good name a university has usually shines through, and Surrey is a minnow compared to some in the Russell Group.

Also, most students don't want to go too far, usually only within a couple of hours drive from home. I also have noticed many students visit about 5 major universities and fall for one which stands out, often Nottingham and Birmingham, largely because of the prestigious campus buildings (the Trent building and Old Joe clock tower etc). Surrey doesn't have that kind of set up.

Incidentally, Nottingham only uses the QS World ranking to measure itself against competitors. Durham also is going down this road from what their website shows. Students will eventually follow suit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just to confirm, Nottingham had the following to say on their website on the new campus development plan for Shanghai:-

Longer term aims include exploring opportunities for a new development in Shanghai to support further expansion in areas that are complementary to UNNC.

Actually, they wouldn't, not for proper graduate jobs where the 2.1 and AAB requirements are in place. The weaker graduates would be weeded out by the entrance requirements. The problem would be for the 30-40% of weaker students who scored BBB or got a 2.2 or less, they would be confined to the jobs that didn't require a degree. Some courses are tailored to particular industries with the backing and involvement of companies at Nottingham, it isn't just random courses.

Nottingham and Manchester are two of the most targeted universities by graduate employers, and I don't recall Manchester ever being in the UK top 10 ever. UK league tables are overrated in value, they don't measure prestige or quality of teaching. If they included the REF and TQA results, then we could see more value out of them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Right! Anyone here know the link to medicine at nottingham? i wanna know more about nottingham and how medicine is taught there!!! please reply asap! got an interview coming!!!!!
Reply 1011
Hello everyone, I was wondering, do Nottingham Uni send you an email when you get an offer? I have a conditional offer on Track, but I haven't received an email yet and it's been like 6 days.
Original post by razo96
Hello everyone, I was wondering, do Nottingham Uni send you an email when you get an offer? I have a conditional offer on Track, but I haven't received an email yet and it's been like 6 days.

I think I just got the update on track and then a letter in the post a couple weeks later

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by razo96

Got an update on Track, a package in the post and now they're corresponding with me regarding open days, Twitter Q&As etc
Reply 1014
Oh, I see. It seems they don't send offer emails at all. Can't wait for the package then :biggrin:
Original post by KarMa611
Got an update on Track, a package in the post and now they're corresponding with me regarding open days, Twitter Q&As etc

what's their twitter
Reply 1016
Original post by EMassey
It may have been given a Royal Charter post WW2 but it's been awarding degrees since the 19th century.

Also Ningbo is a city which is only slightly smaller than London which exceptional trade links. It also is home to one of the world's busiest ports.
Furthermore I'll forget how outdated your country categorisation is, however Malaysia has the world's 29th largest economy with a GDP growing at a rate of 6.5% a year until 2005.

If you're going to insult the university at least use facts.

Royalcharter = real university. End of , stop trying to hide the fact you are a post war uni. Get over it.

Beijing , Shanghai, HK and Guang Zhuo are 1 tier cities, Ning poo is a 3rd rate hole. Get over it.
Reply 1017
A New World Order of universities, integrating the World's best businesses on campus, and building developments overseas to spread their power across the World. This is just the start, Nottingham will have a footprint in every continent in the future, they have recently entered the USA with a partnership with Birmingham. They are running the university like an entrepreneurial institutional empire, doing things that others can only dream of, and building more income streams in order to be self sufficient and challenge the cash-rich Ivy league universities in coming years.

Without more funding, minnows Durham and St Andrews are in trouble in future years.

LOL. what a joker, what's the point of having a foothold in 3rd world holes ?

Anytime better to be a smaller uni with prestigious rep and alumni.
Original post by mrkl
LOL. what a joker, what's the point of having a foothold in 3rd world holes ?

Anytime better to be a smaller uni with prestigious rep and alumni.

Ah but you obviously haven't heard, Nottingham announced they are increasing the entry requirements to get into Nottingham every year from now as part of their overall strategy to improve. They will announce the target tariff score later on this year, expected to be 480 points. That's pretty awesome for a university taking 24,000 students. The spending on facilities, new buildings and refurbishments only makes Nottingham genuinely one of the most nicest and most attractive universities to come to. They've even done away with pretty decent buildings for spectacular ones.
Original post by shackfu9
I am so frustrated.. I applied last year, it's been more than 2 months since I applied. They told me before the Christmas break, that I would get a response. I didn't. Then they said I would get it by jan 15th, I didn't. Then they said I would get it now by jan 22nd. But nothing yet. What's happening?! Is anyone else in the same boat as me??

I have applied for marketing by the way

We're sort of in the same boat. But they never told me a date to hear from them. I have been waiting from last year since I applied and 2 months since they've told me I will get a response soon. I'm going crazy with the waiting :/. I applied for their psychology program

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending