Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at transferring universitities but the one I want to go to would require me to transfer to the MPhys (instead of staying on the BSc). I'm slightly worried that it would be a big step up and the fourth year project sounds pretty intense. Has anyone done the MPhys, and what did you think of the final year? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I just finished my MPhys degree from Oxford. Every University does it slightly differently and you need to be aware of how their course is structured.

Mine for instance involved two chosen examined modules and a final year project. However, i have heard other universities just have you focus on a project etc.

The final project is really not that intense. From my own experience, and many of my friends, the project is far easier than having to learn and revise for an exam, and typically it is easier to get a good mark in a project than an exam (60~80) (that being said it is more difficult to get an excellent mark, 80+ in a project than the exam).

Also, you may be concerned that having done a BSc you may not have the required knowledge to do certain projects. This is not the case, you can very easily get the expertise to do any project in the summer. In fact, I had no prior knowledge about my field and was able to build the knowledge throughout the first term to ensure I could complete the project and move to publish it.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions I may be able to help with, let me know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.