Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

It is possible to work and study engineering at postgraduate level at the same time? My savings for Msc course won't cover all fees so I'm considering a part-time job. Do you have any experiences? Do universities allow to take part-time job? I'm an EU student and I'd like to know how it looks like in the UK.

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Because most people do. The only Unis that don't 'allow' it are Oxford & Cambridge but many of their students do work anyway, because they have to.

Aim for something at weekends and so keep weekdays free for study. Its very do-able as long as you keep the job under 15 hours a week. Anymore than that and you'll be too tired. Bar work, shop work etc are all good options.

ReputationRep:
    I would probably prefer to work one year in between to get experience in a relevant job (does not have to be the dream job, but related to your degree) and then concentrate on the Master. If you have time, you can allways work. The other way round is more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanielle)
    I would probably prefer to work one year in between to get experience in a relevant job (does not have to be the dream job, but related to your degree) and then concentrate on the Master. If you have time, you can allways work. The other way round is more difficult.
    Thank you for your reply. I have experience-I was working during my final year at university. Graduate engineer in my conuntry earns approximately £250-£300 per month (full-time job). So I won't be able to save enough money for Msc course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Yes. Because most people do. The only Unis that don't 'allow' it are Oxford & Cambridge but many of their students do work anyway, because they have to.

Aim for something at weekends and so keep weekdays free for study. Its very do-able as long as you keep the job under 15 hours a week. Anymore than that and you'll be too tired. Bar work, shop work etc are all good options.
    Thank you. It's good idea to work just during weekends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathally)
    Thank you for your reply. I have experience-I was working during my final year at university. Graduate engineer in my conuntry earns approximately £250-£300 per month (full-time job). So I won't be able to save enough money for Msc course.
    If the salary difference is that big, it probably makes more sense to work in the UK.

Is it very difficult for you to get a work visa to work in the UK for a year? From what I heard for some occupations it's pretty easy. Eg. some civil engineering jobs are on the shortage occupation list (https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...istapril14.pdf).

I'm in somewhat of a same boat, but I am in Canada and salary here is about the same as in the UK, so I just decided to work here for a year before heading over.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on which branch of engineering you are looking at and where you are going to study. Some courses are extremely intense. I'm doing a taught civil (structural) MSc at Imperial and I would not recommend doing any type of job in addition to it. The work load is absolutely enormous. There just aren't enough hours in the week to get through all the material let alone time for job, friends, cultural activities etc.

You can always try to do a part time masters and stretch it over two years whilst working part time.

(Original post by Nathally)
    Hi,

It is possible to work and study engineering at postgraduate level at the same time? My savings for Msc course won't cover all fees so I'm considering a part-time job. Do you have any experiences? Do universities allow to take part-time job? I'm an EU student and I'd like to know how it looks like in the UK.

thanks in advance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.