Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have chosen to apply through clearing which I know is hugely risky, but I don't like my firm choice any more, and kinda have personal reasons for not wanting to go there and have been released from both my firm and insurance...
    I was wondering how likely it would be to get a decent place through clearing somewhere like Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham or Leeds for a bioscience course like biochem, biomedical or genetics as that's what my PS is for and what I aim to do - My predicted grades are AAB...
    Any one got any idea?

ReputationRep:
    No-one can predict this is advance for any Uni/course as it depends on a) how many people at that Unis don't fulfill their offers/get rejected and b) if the Uni bothers to put that course into Clearing or just offers any spare places to either 'near misses' or Adjustment applicants. Relying on Clearing is a very risky strategy, especially if you are aiming at an RG Uni - you could end up with nothing.

A much better plan would be to drop your entire application now and reapply in October for the Unis/courses you do want - that way you will be applying with known results and be able to target your application for exactly the course you want, no compromises. And you'll get a quick answer - no waiting for Results Day.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessrscott95)
    So I have chosen to apply through clearing which I know is hugely risky, but I don't like my firm choice any more, and kinda have personal reasons for not wanting to go there and have been released from both my firm and insurance...
    I was wondering how likely it would be to get a decent place through clearing somewhere like Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham or Leeds for a bioscience course like biochem, biomedical or genetics as that's what my PS is for and what I aim to do - My predicted grades are AAB...
    Any one got any idea?
    Hey I've just moved this to the applications and UCAS section

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any one got any idea?
    Have a look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2735139 but also consider starting over and reapplying for 2015 rather than hastily accepting a course through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Have a look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2735139 but also consider starting over and reapplying for 2015 rather than hastily accepting a course through clearing.
    Hey, it won't lemme look at that link...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    No-one can predict this is advance for any Uni/course as it depends on a) how many people at that Unis don't fulfill their offers/get rejected and b) if the Uni bothers to put that course into Clearing or just offers any spare places to either 'near misses' or Adjustment applicants. Relying on Clearing is a very risky strategy, especially if you are aiming at an RG Uni - you could end up with nothing.

A much better plan would be to drop your entire application now and reapply in October for the Unis/courses you do want - that way you will be applying with known results and be able to target your application for exactly the course you want, no compromises. And you'll get a quick answer - no waiting for Results Day.
    I'm gonna try to get a decent course through clearing but if I can't then I will reapply for next year but I reaaalllyy wanna go to uni this year so that sucks but I guess I will probably have to :/

ReputationRep:
    Hey, it won't lemme look at that link...
    It had to be removed for copyright reasons.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.