The Student Room Group

Worried about Second Year Grade versus final year.

So I've just finished my second year and I'm a little worried after doing some calculation that I won't be able to achieve a 2:1 overall.

At the end of my second year I got a low 2:2 (52%) which is worth 25% of my overall degree. My final year is obviously worth 75% of my degree.

Essentially what I'm asking is if it is even possible for me to get a 2:1 overall now. These are my courses degree classifications by the way:

70% <=Honours total First Class Honours
60% <Honours total <70% Upper Second Class Honours
50% <Honours total <60% Lower Second Class Honours
40% <Honours total <50% Third Class Honours

The reasons (not excuses) is that in my second year there was a combination of "bad luck" events. I randomly had a seizure at work and have now been diagnosed with epilepsy which I now take medication for which effected me. I was also diagnosed with Dyspraxia and Dyslexia half way through the year as well but have had to wait till final year for my exam extensions to kick in. My epilepsy makes my hands shake so doing any exams in a certain time period was painful. Thankfully in my final year I'll get extensions and special equipment.

Anyway sorry for the sob story and thanks for any replies.
Reply 1
Original post by Knighted
So I've just finished my second year and I'm a little worried after doing some calculation that I won't be able to achieve a 2:1 overall.

At the end of my second year I got a low 2:2 (52%) which is worth 25% of my overall degree. My final year is obviously worth 75% of my degree.

Essentially what I'm asking is if it is even possible for me to get a 2:1 overall now. These are my courses degree classifications by the way:

70% <=Honours total First Class Honours
60% <Honours total <70% Upper Second Class Honours
50% <Honours total <60% Lower Second Class Honours
40% <Honours total <50% Third Class Honours

The reasons (not excuses) is that in my second year there was a combination of "bad luck" events. I randomly had a seizure at work and have now been diagnosed with epilepsy which I now take medication for which effected me. I was also diagnosed with Dyspraxia and Dyslexia half way through the year as well but have had to wait till final year for my exam extensions to kick in. My epilepsy makes my hands shake so doing any exams in a certain time period was painful. Thankfully in my final year I'll get extensions and special equipment.

Anyway sorry for the sob story and thanks for any replies.

You can do it quite easily i think, 25% isn't much. By my calculations you only need 63% in your final year to do it.
I was in a similar situation to you, i got 55% in my 2nd year but it was worth 33% and I managed. Given the changes they will make for your final year you should be fine.
The best option for you is make sure that the Uni are aware of all situations as they arise, take advantage of the help offered, look into peer support and take advantage of anything going.

Nightworld1066

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending