Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'd like to study French or German alongside law at uni, but am unsure of some details. If I studied law with French or German law, would that cause employers to see my English LLB hons degree as worse than somebody who just took law without the added element of French or German law?
    Also, would it be more useful to take law with French, or law with French law?!

Sorry this is such a long post-I've got loads of questions!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I often thought about this (I study a Law and German LLB) and quite frankly I think it's a much better option than the straight LLB! So many people study straight law and it's a good way to differentiate yourself from the crowd. You get the year abroad in the third year, in which (well in my case anyway) you get to study whatever modules of law in your chosen country that you want (and also do two dissertations). Sometimes you may be doing 20 credit instead of 30 credit modules, but doing law alongside a language shows a great variety of skills.. It's hard work but worth it! You do have to be prepared to do more (they try to split the work so you do an equivalent amount to the normal LLB over your two subject, but this often is the uneven), so personally, I would definitely recommend the law and language programme!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fursey)
    Hey, I often thought about this (I study a Law and German LLB) and quite frankly I think it's a much better option than the straight LLB! So many people study straight law and it's a good way to differentiate yourself from the crowd. You get the year abroad in the third year, in which (well in my case anyway) you get to study whatever modules of law in your chosen country that you want (and also do two dissertations). Sometimes you may be doing 20 credit instead of 30 credit modules, but doing law alongside a language shows a great variety of skills.. It's hard work but worth it! You do have to be prepared to do more (they try to split the work so you do an equivalent amount to the normal LLB over your two subject, but this often is the uneven), so personally, I would definitely recommend the law and language programme!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much! This is the most useful advice I've been given about this topic It puts my mind at rest that I'm doing the right thing. So do you study straight German or German law?

ReputationRep:
    No problem , if you have any questions, just message me! I honestly think it's such an advantage to have the language... I do both German and German Law, I study German Language every year, German Law as a module in the second year (taught in German) and year 3 (year abroad) is spent abroad studying any law modules I want (in German of course - but you can literally choose any type of law) and write a legal dissertation and a German language dissertation. I will then do the fourth year with the normal LLB subjects and German Language

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.