Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Hope everyone is okay?
    Mainly looking to get to know or chat to people before starting at Aberystwyth (2014)...specifically looking for anyone who isn't too bothered about partying :P and any mature students as I will be 25 when I start, want to know if there'll be anyone else around my age.
    I am going to be studying Business and Management and History
    Would be great to hear from people
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Buzzatron4000)
    Hey,
    Hope everyone is okay?
    Mainly looking to get to know or chat to people before starting at Aberystwyth (2014)...specifically looking for anyone who isn't too bothered about partying :P and any mature students as I will be 25 when I start, want to know if there'll be anyone else around my age.
    Hi Buzzatron,

I did my Masters in the School of Management. It's a great place.

Hopefully some fellow students will reply to you on here... however, if they don't we have a great community on Facebook. Just search for: 2014 Aberystwyth University Social Group.

You'll be able to chat to lots of people on there.

Cheers,
    James

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buzzatron4000)
    Hey,
    Hope everyone is okay?
    Hi! Was pointed to this by someone, since I feel similar to this.

I'm going to be 24 this year and studying Computer Science. I've worked on and off since I left college and been to university locally to study counselling but it ended up becoming awkward to train in due to age and I didn't continue after that course, but I've found my new goal to progress into programming and have a small head start in that. I used to go to parties a lot when I was in school but as I've matured I've gradually become more introverted and can't really relate to a heavily social, party lifestyle anymore; it just makes me feel uncomfortable and I haven't really drank alcohol in 5 years. Even back then I relied on my friends to take the lead, I just happened to know enough people back then that it was easier to enjoy myself. I've always been more into spending my time learning or improving. What hobbies do you have?

ReputationRep:
    Hey there :-)
    Thanks for the reply. My problem is I can be a bit eccentric with things so if I start "partying" it wont stay that way...and it just isn't what I am doing this for.
    Hobbies wise I am pretty big into fitness...and now also cooking a bit.
    I used to do art, been struggling to get my creative flare back though...but something i want to start doing again.
    I enjoy gaming (playstation) but i suck at it lol. Also enjoy reading and i am big into watching films...but i am hoping to do new things tbh...how about you? :-)

ReputationRep:
    What's your fitness focus? I have a phase once a year, usually, of losing a stone or so and doing bodyweight exercises but I'm dropping to the weight I want and then I'll get back into it around the time we start at uni. What sort of art did you do?

Which Playstation? I primarily game on PC but I get the console exclusives that I want (mostly Playstation, but there are the odd Xbox ones that have been good). Which games do you like?

I'm reading (just finished Lord of The Flies and moved on to Catch-22) and watching classics (just watched It's a Wonderful Life) at the moment, but I'm alternating and a bit slow =( What sort of books and film do you like? I generally like things with quite a bit of depth to chew on, but even simpler stories and themes have a part in the larger context of industries which are nice to look at.

My main hobbies are playing games, reading, watching film, music, trying to get into opera and musical now, and just enjoy learning things. I'm working on my maths slowly to help me with my degree, even though it's not bad already, but I've always been interested in learning more. I like to walk quite a bit, so I normally get through about 10 miles a week. It would be nice to look at new opportunities with the societies, though! Moving to Aberystwyth is a big step for me because I'm really close to family, but I'm even considering studying abroad for the second year.

ReputationRep:
    I am at the gym, I do between an hour to 2 hours a day, a mixture of different classes, such as body combat, body pump, zumba and toning classes. I am mainly focusing on toning now though...and lost 5 stone over the space of 3 years....Though I would like to perhaps get involved in a specific sport as opposed to using just the gym.

mainly drawing and some painting, though my painting skills are probably similar to a childs now haha, it's been awhile...I have no particular style, I really struggled with doing any after art college, it sort of ruined it for me.

I have a ps3, I like mainly rpgs like final fantasy, and I like fighting games, but I do tend to get gamer rage lol so anything not too aggravating..I still play a lot of ps1 games as well like crash bandicoot and spyro.

I have been getting reading in related to the uni course recently, and I am half way through a lot of books, a bad habit to get into, can't remember the last time I finished a book, but currently reading Do androids dream of Electric Sheep. I also like to read anything to do with exercise and nutrition.

I will be honest I can't wait to move away, I think because I have moved a lot over the last few years it will be interesting to go a bit further afield, and I would deffo go abroad I need a passport though always give up filling in the forms, they seem so complicated. I bet it'd be great though. I might take a work placement offer and do the 4 years, it depends, I am more tempted just to do the three years straight. Will probably try and get part time work whilst I am in Aber as well.

ReputationRep:
    That's a lot of work! I used to work with a girl who's obsessed with Crossfit and loved it, but I heard that they don't put much focus on form =S not sure how true it is.

Have you ever played Chrono Trigger? I highly recommend you try to get a copy; it's a brilliant classic RPG. The Persona series is quite popular as well for Playstation RPGs, but a lot of them were on PS2.

Do you like sci-fi books, then? I haven't read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep yet, but Valis by PKD is quite good. Blade Runner is possibly my favourite film, so I feel like I should really read it.

What accommodation are you going for?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Great to hear you're both into fitness and gaming I'm the same train much more than game during the summer though hehe.

You'll have lots of opportunities to train in aber. Although I'm not into crossfit (prefer to focus on form than trying to do things as fast as possible). However if you can combine speed and form you're onto a winner. The Uni offers lots of varying classes so give them a go! If you want to try something new or get into a sport then make sure you go to the sports' fair during freshers. You can do so many sports: http://www.abersu.co.uk/sports/clublist/

You may be interested in sports' week too: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/applicants/...e/sports-week/

Gaming wise you can bring your consoles to uni and get them online. There is also a gaming society you can join.

Buzzatron- I would recommend a sandwich year if you can take one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.