The Student Room Group

A-level results are published way too late.

Poll

Does it take too long?

This is 2014, we have computers, internet and easy access to them. I dont get why millions of children should become the victim of exam boards wanting to save money. They need to recruit more examiners so that they can get the job done faster. This is ridiculous to wait 2 1/2 months for results that are so incredibly important to us. Do you agree that a lot of us spend the whole summer anticipating, worrying and guessing the results? How difficult would it be if they could get the results a month sooner?
I'm sorry, but I think you're being incredibly naive and I really don't think you have a clue about the scale of the exams process. Examiners have to mark GCSE exams as well as AS exams and A2 exams. For each of these three series, you've got about a million students. For GCSE, they'll be sitting between 10-20 papers. At A Level, it'll probably be between 6-10. Doing an incredibly rough calculation, that's 31,000,000 exam papers. I'm not saying this is an accurate figure, but it'll be within the correct order of magnitude. Exam boards are already strained with getting exam papers marked in time and many people already commit a lot of their time to marking exam papers for very, very little money.

If you've got a financially and practically viable suggestion as to how to speed up the process in a way that doesn't reduce the quality of marking, please go ahead. Otherwise, stop complaining and stop being so self-entitled.
Reply 2
It is not fair to put this problem back to students to resolve. Fact is that in other systems (scotland, IB) and in most other countries the feedback on results is provided MUCH earlier.

Not providing the results until mid August puts both students and parents on the back foot when looking for work, universities, accommodation, etc. it is time that education authorities start seriously looking into solutions for this, rather than accepting the current status quo. I am confident that a lot can be learned from looking at what other system / countries do to resolve this issue.

Quick Reply

Latest