Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Academia - What is your motivation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My motivation is the idea of studying at Oxbridge, I wouldn't mind not going there as I get decent grades out of the hard work nevertheless.
    I also enjoy learning and producing notes, especially with maths and the sciences.

I'm just wondering, what are your guys' motivation for working hard?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I tend to lack motivation which makes things hard, but I guess the thought of failure slightly pushes me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My motivation was that I wanted to get a scholarship and leave this stupid country but I'm starting to like it now so motivation began to lapse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I'm only actually motivated to do things that I already like, couldn't give a **** about any topics that don't catch my attention straight away

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i guess the primary source of motivation is the idea of failure... I tend not to be motivated but i still push myself because i know it has to be done... its motivation but not motivation in a way... I motivate myself to be motivated to do good XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelo12231)
    Yeah i guess the primary source of motivation is the idea of failure... I tend not to be motivated but i still push myself because i know it has to be done... its motivation but not motivation in a way... I motivate myself to be motivated to do good XD
    Whatever works for you
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strom)
    My motivation is the idea of studying at Oxbridge, I wouldn't mind not going there as I get decent grades out of the hard work nevertheless.
    I also enjoy learning and producing notes, especially with maths and the sciences.

I'm just wondering, what are your guys' motivation for working hard?
    Same actually! Pretty much for all of that. Also because I know I can do well so I don't really want to 'waste' that.

Completely random but... Is your username purposefully spelt like that?

(Original post by Arithmeticae)
    Tbh I'm only actually motivated to do things that I already like, couldn't give a **** about any topics that don't catch my attention straight away
    Surely that's pointless though?
    (Original post by Angelo12231)
    Yeah i guess the primary source of motivation is the idea of failure...
    I motivate myself to be motivated to do good XD
    Same

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have younger siblings.

I have to be a good role model and sheeeeet

ReputationRep:
    I'm motivated by the fact I love my subject, and that I want to perform exceedingly well in it, revising isn't a chore for me, especially when it comes to mathematics

ReputationRep:
    The idea of having a good future. People have way more fun that I do in their youth by partying all the time whereas I don't. I motivate myself by telling myself that in the future they will be the ones who are screwed in life whereas I will have prepared myself. (I am slowly believing this not to be true seeing as the ones who haven't worked as hard go straight into employment whereas I will end up massively in debt after university and maybe unable to get a job due to the economy)
    Maybe I am losing my motivation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    Same actually! Pretty much for all of that. Also because I know I can do well so I don't really want to 'waste' that.

Completely random but... Is your username purposefully spelt like that?

Surely that's pointless though?

Same

Posted from TSR Mobile

xD Yeah it is :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Volcanology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan95)
    I have younger siblings.

I have to be a good role model and sheeeeet
    Same:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Money is my motivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Money is my motivation.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spelly456)
    Why?
    Because I want a Bentley and they cost a fortune.

ReputationRep:
    I moved school from a place I was super average and I topped the first test after arriving. I got a bit of a high off of that and went more than a little crazy about doing really well in every test because I'm a competitive arse. I also liked my subjects, but I'm not sure whether that's because I was good at them or because I actually found them interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaNick)
    my motivation was other people in my year showing off about their good grades
    I also tend to get motivated by seeing other people do better than me and knowing that I'm also capable of doing that well. It helps that I get satisfaction out of doing well I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I literally have no motivation . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Seeing good results at the end of the year and getting university offers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.