Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Medicine and dentistry are an obvious answer, after that it gets a little blurry and it depends on the university and courses.
    Wondering what you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    english, psychology, sociology, anything with studies in the name..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    english, psychology, sociology, anything with studies in the name..
    Sarcasm or...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    Medicine and dentistry are an obvious answer, after that it gets a little blurry and it depends on the university and courses.
    Engineers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasa)
    Engineers...
    yes, they're probably quite likely.
    Are they as likely as medics/dentists?
    From what I've seen earning 60k as an engineer is usually only for very experienced individuals ~15 years +

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics graduates have the potential to make loads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plusC)
    Mathematics graduates have the potential to make loads
    Potential being the key word. Im well aware of the world of investment bankers' earnings lol

ReputationRep:
    Potential being the key word. Im well aware of the world of investment bankers' earnings lol
    Yeah if they apply their maths wisely then they can go far beyond 50k depending on the career, hence why I said potential. If you want to go into academia/research, you won't earn that much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plusC)
    Yeah if they apply their maths wisely then they can go far beyond 50k depending on the career, hence why I said potential. If you want to go into academia/research, you won't earn that much
    That was the point of the thread though 'the most likely' I'd argue that mathematics graduates ON THE WHOLE are not likely to earn 50k+
    Would you agree?

ReputationRep:
    Starting salary for investment bankers is 50k so there's that...

Not necessarily about the degree, but the job. Many jobs don't have a set degree which they require, surprisingly this applies in finance quite a lot.

ReputationRep:
    That was the point of the thread though 'the most likely' I'd argue that mathematics graduates ON THE WHOLE are not likely to earn 50k+
    Would you agree?
    I would agree, but that's because all mathematics graduates aren't the same calibere due to the differences in teaching (whilst with medicine most of them become doctors), if you surveyed a prestigious uni for their mathematics graduates I imagine over 30years or so you'd see many top earners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plusC)
    I would agree, but that's because all mathematics graduates aren't the same calibere due to the differences in teaching (whilst with medicine most of them become doctors), if you surveyed a prestigious uni for their mathematics graduates I imagine over 30years or so you'd see many top earners
    Thats why I adressed this in the post apart from medicine and dentistry, all other degrees' worth is based on the university its from.
    I think a lot of people dont realise how much 50k really is on TSR too. Outside of London, 50k is a SERIOUSLY good salary.

ReputationRep:
    From a pharmacist's perspective: hospital pharmacists, industrial pharmacists, and some community pharmacists

ReputationRep:
    yes, they're probably quite likely.
    Are they as likely as medics/dentists?
    From what I've seen earning 60k as an engineer is usually only for very experienced individuals ~15 years +
    A ~37 year old on 60K? that's a very adequate amount. Realistically speaking, most RAES/Ceng and some IENG engineers can easily make over 50K a year.

ReputationRep:
    From personal experience, I know of people on around £50k who did chemistry, physics, biochemistry, computer science and engineering. Tbf I also know of people who didn't get a degree and they're on more as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeogBerry)
    From personal experience, I know of people on around £50k who did chemistry, physics, biochemistry, computer science and engineering. Tbf I also know of people who didn't get a degree and they're on more as well
    'Most likely' to earn.

ReputationRep:
    'Most likely' to earn.
    They look like degrees that are most likely to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    From a pharmacist's perspective: hospital pharmacists, industrial pharmacists, and some community pharmacists
    id say itd be industrial first

then community

I hear hospital is paid the worst:?

ReputationRep:
    highest earners will be the top end finance/maths grads. but there will be a higher % of medics who are 50k+
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Most graduates will earn 50k+ since wage increases are on the up. Considering how long we will likely work, the average wage could easily break 50k before we retire.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.