The Student Room Group

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelzzz
This was the comment I was replying to.
If you are a graduate hiring manager, and you'd rather hire a geography graduate from UCL than a medicine/dentistry graduate from brighton, then you're an idiot.

Why? Someone doing a harder degree doesn't make them automatically more employable than someone else, especially not when it's a degree like medicine which is arguably the least useful degree to have, of the traditional degrees, if you intend on getting a job outside of medicine.
Original post by Noble.
Why? Someone doing a harder degree doesn't make them automatically more employable than someone else, especially not when it's a degree like medicine which is arguably the least useful degree to have, of the traditional degrees, if you intend on getting a job outside of medicine.

We're talking about the quality of graduates BASED on their academics. A medicine/dentistry graduate has proven far more than 95% of graduates.
1) medicine and dentistry are the two hardest courses to get into in the country, FACT. No other degrees REQUIRE as much work experience, volunteering etc as much as medicine/dentistry. Their academic requirements are VERY high. 2 of the only degrees that use GCSEs as a distinguisher, AAA minimum entry, UKCAT exam. Not to mention the level of competition, early application dates.
2) Their degrees have some of the most hectic timetables, and the largest amount of responsibility as a student by a country mile. A dentistry student will be performing invasive surgery on a person, this indicates a level of responsibility that no other graduates would have gone through.

These two factors alone indicate why a medicine/dentistry graduate is more employable in terms of ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS in comparison to the VAST majority of graduates.
We're talking about the quality of graduates BASED on their academics. A medicine/dentistry graduate has proven far more than 95% of graduates.
1) medicine and dentistry are the two hardest courses to get into in the country, FACT. No other degrees REQUIRE as much work experience, volunteering etc as much as medicine/dentistry. Their academic requirements are VERY high. 2 of the only degrees that use GCSEs as a distinguisher, AAA minimum entry, UKCAT exam. Not to mention the level of competition, early application dates I doubt it, I think it's far harder on an academic level to get into, say, Cambridge for Maths. What does getting into medicine show? You managed to get decent GCSEs and A-Levels, and Daddy is a surgeon so you got a lot of work experience. Big deal, these are hardly massive achievements.
2) Their degrees have some of the most hectic timetables, and the largest amount of responsibility as a student by a country mile. A dentistry student will be performing invasive surgery on a person, this indicates a level of responsibility that no other graduates would have gone through.

These two factors alone indicate why a medicine/dentistry graduate is more employable in terms of ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS in comparison to the VAST majority of graduates.

Besides, your point is completely redundant. No-one does medicine or dentistry unless they want to become doctors or dentists, no-one does it because it's highly regarded by employers. The clinical knowledge these grads will obtain is pointless to most employers. Medicine and dentistry aren't the types of degrees you do to then apply for general graduate schemes.
Original post by tengentoppa
Besides, your point is completely redundant. No-one does medicine or dentistry unless they want to become doctors or dentists, no-one does it because it's highly regarded by employers. The clinical knowledge these grads will obtain is pointless to most employers. Medicine and dentistry aren't the types of degrees you do to then apply for general graduate schemes.

I said the vast majority of graduates, and a medical/dental degree is harder to get into than a maths degree. Obviously a cambridge maths graduate is different.
There are medical/dental graduates who find they no longer want to be doctors or dentists, I know family friends who are dentists who their classmates went to work in IB.
My point is the things that employers are looking for, can be found in medical/dental graduates much better than the majority of graduates from RGUs.
1) medicine and dentistry are the two hardest courses to get into in the country, FACT. No other degrees REQUIRE as much work experience, volunteering etc as much as medicine/dentistry. Their academic requirements are VERY high. 2 of the only degrees that use GCSEs as a distinguisher, AAA minimum entry, UKCAT exam. Not to mention the level of competition, early application dates.

Erm, you do realise the majority of what you've written means diddly-squat once you've graduated? Employers aren't going to care that you helped serve tea to elderly people 6+ years ago, or that you followed a doctor around at a hospital. The kind of work-experience you do before applying to medicine is generally not the kind of work-experience a (non-medical) employer is going to find very valuable. You also seem to be missing the point, at no point am I denying that people studying medicine have to work hard, I'm simply pointing out that because medicine is a degree very much geared towards making a good doctor, it's debatable how valuable this training is in other, non-medical, areas.

As for pointing out that you know someone who knows dentists doing IB, that's hardly a revelation considering generally in IB they don't care about your degree subject, just where you got it from.

It is also blatantly obvious you're a pre-unversity student though, because you're so hung up on academic achievements, and hoop-jumping, you have to do prior to attending university. Once you're halfway into a degree you'll realise how little previous qualifications, and experience, actually stand for.
Reply 565
Employers do.

Very very few care so long as you beat the filter... Which is often AAB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Key123
Very very few care so long as you beat the filter... Which is often AAB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was my point from the start. The poster said that employers would always take an RGU student over an ex poly student.
I argue that a medical/dental student from an ex poly will be more academically able than the majority of RGU grads.
Employers will realise this when they see an ex poly grad dentistry has A*AA in their a levels.
Reply 567
This was my point from the start. The poster said that employers would always take an RGU student over an ex poly student.
I argue that a medical/dental student from an ex poly will be more academically able than the majority of RGU grads.
Employers will realise this when they see an ex poly grad dentistry has A*AA in their a levels.

Got any evidence...?
Original post by Quady
Got any evidence...?

Evidence of what? a medicine/dentistry student being more academically able than the majority of RGU students? Just have a look at entry requirements and the level of competition to medical/dental schools. Not to mention the UKCAT exam. Getting into most degrees is a walk in the park compared to medicine/dentistry.
If an employer would rather take a geography grad from UCL with ABB a levels than a DENTIST/DOCTOR from an expoly with AAA+ a levels then they shouldn't be in HR. (obviously excluding all other factors)
Reply 569
What's the point if you're getting taxed at 50%
Reply 570
Original post by J1mmy

Original post by J1mmy

Does this mean you think the most anybody should aim for is 10k?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 572
Evidence of what? a medicine/dentistry student being more academically able than the majority of RGU students? Just have a look at entry requirements and the level of competition to medical/dental schools. Not to mention the UKCAT exam. Getting into most degrees is a walk in the park compared to medicine/dentistry.
If an employer would rather take a geography grad from UCL with ABB a levels than a DENTIST/DOCTOR from an expoly with AAA+ a levels then they shouldn't be in HR. (obviously excluding all other factors)

Evidence medicine/dentistry grads from lower ranking unis/ex-polys, get generalist graduate jobs with a higher sucess rate than grads not in medicine/dentistry from RG unis...

Or is it just a thought experiment?
Reply 573
Original post by Jammy Duel
Does this mean you think the most anybody should aim for is 10k?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still taxed at a marginal rate of 12%. Need to be 7k to be tax free.
Original post by Quady
Evidence medicine/dentistry grads from lower ranking unis/ex-polys, get generalist graduate jobs with a higher sucess rate than grads not in medicine/dentistry from RG unis...

Or is it just a thought experiment?

Jut a thought experiment. Never said that I had evidence.
FYI, if you didn't know, RGUs and Expolys have the same entry requirements for med/dentistry
Graduates of the university of life.
Original post by Quady

Add national insurance brah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 577
Original post by will2348
Add national insurance brah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you think the 2 was in 42...?
Reply 578
Jut a thought experiment. Never said that I had evidence.
FYI, if you didn't know, RGUs and Expolys have the same entry requirements for med/dentistry

I did but its somewhat irrelavent.
Original post by Quady
What do you think the 2 was in 42...?

That's my point. It comes to over 50% if you include both. I might be wrong since I'm no income tax expert but that was my understanding, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending