Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start going to the gym try to build some muscle. I'm currently 6'2 90kg and in pretty good shape - I've always done quite a lot of sport, but I've never been to the gym. From looking at pictures I'm about 20% body fat, a bit higher than normal due to the football season finishing 2 months ago and doing very little since then. Would it be better to bulk or cut first?

ReputationRep:
    bulk up and lift big

ReputationRep:
    pls respond
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    20% bf means you're right on the edge of the healthy range, wouldn't hurt to cut for a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I used to bulk then cut. But during the rugby/football season at uni it was impossible to eat enough and build muscle whilst trying to maintain fitness. During summer, I didn't want to bulk because I'd look fat for beach and what not. So I just do both at the same time by clean bulking.

You've just got to work out your diet before you start. You can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, it just means that you've got to only eat the carbohydrates that you need (for energy/going to gym). Eat protein like a mad man and you'll have what you need to gain the muscle and the carb 'deficit' will help lose the fat.

It's not that hard once you get into it.

I started out my first year at uni at 100kg, 14% BF (6'4") and at the end of year two I'm 115kg 10%. It can be done, it just takes commitment.

(It's a slow process though. Gaining muscle is as normal if you're training and eating enough protein. But the fat loss will take longer because you do need to eat a fair amount to build that muscle. Bodybuilding/dieting is usually about extremes. But I don't see why people can't do both. It just takes a lot of dedication and strictness).

ReputationRep:
    at the moment i reckon you should bulk and do a 5x5 routine such as 'stronglifts 5x5' or 'rippetoe's starting strength'. (5x5 means 5 reps 5 sets ) that will help you to build a good foundation of dense muscle and will help to train your central nervous system to adapt to building muscle and maximising the ammount of weight you can lift. in the long run that will help you to pack on muscle more efficiently if/when you want to move into bodybuilding/powerlifting/strongman training.

theres a stronglifts app that you can download to track your progress.

http://stronglifts.com/
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

as you build more muscle, the fat will take care of its self (as long as you dont overeat too much)

i would reccomend having a look at omarisuf's youtube channel for advise on technique

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael!)
    I used to bulk then cut. But during the rugby/football season at uni it was impossible to eat enough and build muscle whilst trying to maintain fitness. During summer, I didn't want to bulk because I'd look fat for beach and what not. So I just do both at the same time by clean bulking.

You've just got to work out your diet before you start. You can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, it just means that you've got to only eat the carbohydrates that you need (for energy/going to gym). Eat protein like a mad man and you'll have what you need to gain the muscle and the carb 'deficit' will help lose the fat.

It's not that hard once you get into it.

I started out my first year at uni at 100kg, 14% BF (6'4") and at the end of year two I'm 115kg 10%. It can be done, it just takes commitment.

(It's a slow process though. Gaining muscle is as normal if you're training and eating enough protein. But the fat loss will take longer because you do need to eat a fair amount to build that muscle. Bodybuilding/dieting is usually about extremes. But I don't see why people can't do both. It just takes a lot of dedication and strictness).
    Wow that is some good advice! I am currently trying to clean bulk as well, just got to see how it goes now.

ReputationRep:
    I say cut and clean bulk. It takes time to get big and it's pointless building then trying to cut the fat cos you'll lost some of that hard work. May as well remove the fat to the level you want it then clean bulk. If you work hard enough, you shouldn't need to cut for longer than a month.

ReputationRep:
    Your going to be a newb so lift at maintenance and lift.

ReputationRep:
    Your bodyfat will drop down to normal levels just by getting active again. Eat clean as you normally would and just get strong.

ReputationRep:
    Is that all anyone gives a **** about these days, bulking? No one interested in strength training anymore lol.

Yeah OP as has been said just start lifting, you don't sound grotesquely fat or anything so no reason to start a good weightlifting program and building muscle.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.