Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, is a tablet good for uni? I'm starting uni next year doing a computer science degree and currently have a desktop and a laptop that I can use. However, carrying a tablet to lectures and around uni would be easier. Will a tablet be useful for this course's content??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeembx)
    Hi, is a tablet good for uni? I'm starting uni next year doing a computer science degree and currently have a desktop and a laptop that I can use. However, carrying a tablet to lectures and around uni would be easier. Will a tablet be useful for this course's content??
    I had an iPad that I used for my 1st year in Computer Science although I barely used it within lectures, I did experiment and try and use my iPad but I felt like it wasn't helping me note things down as quick as I could be doing. I'd stick to a laptop if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, tablets are useless for university. Depending on what type of tablet you get you will have a limited usb and hdmi ports. Also take into account tablets are no wear near as powerful as laptops at the same price and they also have limited storage capacity.

Get a ultrabook, light and very portable and has a dedicated keyboard as well.

Several of my classmates have ipads and the surface pros, they may look cool and fancy but trust me when it comes down to actually doing course work and using it as a study tool in the library, it is useless

ReputationRep:
    Disagreeing with the poster above, I know loads of people for whom a surface pro was their only PC (let's not forget it's much more an actual computer than a tablet) and they were just fine. I'd still recommend a laptop over an iPad though, they can be frustrating while you're taking notes and you can get laptops with similar battery life if that's the issue.

ReputationRep:
    Also if your course requires use of specific software you can't install it on an ipad. There are some apps but options are limited especially for programming, engineering, etc

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.