Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Over 25's Maintenance Loan/Grant if living with parents Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I’m applying to University full-time to start from September 2015.

I understand that there are two different rates for the Maintenance Loans/Grants – one if you are living with parents and a higher one if you are living away from home.
    I will be over 25 when the course is in it’s second year. I have read somewhere that over 25’s, by default, get the higher ‘living away from home’ rate, regardless of the fact that they are actually still living with parents. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Tom

ReputationRep:
    Not quite.

If you're 25 or over, you're automatically assessed on your income (which will be nil if a full-time student) and not your parents' income, even if you still live with them. This usually results in you getting the highest rate of income-assessed Maintenance Grant.

You will be deemed to be 'Living At Home', as you are living at home. This will result in a slightly lower Maintenance Grant/Loan combo. However it will be more than compensated for by you being independently assessed.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same situation as the OP, I turn 25 just before the start of year two, am living with my parents and have just filled in my finance form. Why then is it still asking my parents to support the application ? Have I clicked something wrong ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.