Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone's ever read a genuinely bad book (by your own standards). Then for some reason, just ended up liking it or got used to terribleness of it and continued to read it.

I read this series called 'Hush, Hush' and it became one of those books I loved to hate mainly because of the irritating characters and the predictable plot where nothing much happened in terms of action or conflict. I don't know why I continued to read it but it was an easy read so that may have been it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocfudge)
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone's ever read a genuinely bad book (by your own standards). Then for some reason, just ended up liking it or got used to terribleness of it and continued to read it.

I read this series called 'Hush, Hush' and it became one of those books I loved to hate mainly because of the irritating characters and the predictable plot where nothing much happened in terms of action or conflict. I don't know why I continued to read it but it was an easy read so that may have been it.
    'What I loved' by Siri Hustvedt.

I don't know how I managed to get through the entire thing. Probably because I was on a 3 day train journey with nothing else to read. Endless pages of descriptions of paintings which was dull to the point of tears. Plus, the paintings sounded awful from the description, which ruined my immersion in the overall story as this character was supposed to be a successful artist.

I wouldn't wish that book upon anyone.

This isn't really a love to hate. It's a hate to hate. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much anything by Thomas Hardy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    'What I loved' by Siri Hustvedt.

I don't know how I managed to get through the entire thing. Probably because I was on a 3 day train journey with nothing else to read. Endless pages of descriptions of paintings which was dull to the point of tears. Plus, the paintings sounded awful from the description, which ruined my immersion in the overall story as this character was supposed to be a successful artist.

I wouldn't wish that book upon anyone.

This isn't really a love to hate. It's a hate to hate. Sorry.
    No worries. The discussion can be expanded to books you blatantly hate too

The book you described sounds like a hybrid of an Art History textbook and The Picture of Dorian Gray
    You have some stamina :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocfudge)
    No worries. The discussion can be expanded to books you blatantly hate too

The book you described sounds like a hybrid of an Art History textbook and The Picture of Dorian Gray
    You have some stamina :yy:
    Apart from The Picture of Dorian Gray is good, and Art History textbooks might teach you something worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    Fifty Shades of Grey. An up-jumped piece of poor quality smut.

ReputationRep:
    The Fault in Our Stars - overrated piece of cr*p that it is.
    Also the Flynn series by Sophie McKenzie; the books are horrific, but by a normal good author, to the point that when I started reading I almost expected the main character to turn around and say 'Hey, maybe it isn't good to chase after this boy with anger management issues like an obsessive stalker. Also maybe I shouldn't constantly ***** about my friends!'

She never did.

ReputationRep:
    Fifty Shades of Grey :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    The Bible / any holy book.

ReputationRep:
    Typical of a Potterhead, I love to hate on the 'Twilight Saga'.
    I read all 4 books when they came out but later realised how stupid they were (especially when the film came out, Kristen Stewert's terrible 'acting' made me see the light) and now I just take the mick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey, anything that is a flavour of the month...

ReputationRep:
    I hate books in general...so boring!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBlueBiro)
    Typical of a Potterhead, I love to hate on the 'Twilight Saga'.
    I read all 4 books when they came out but later realised how stupid they were (especially when the film came out, Kristen Stewert's terrible 'acting' made me see the light) and now I just take the mick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was thinking the same thing!
    Loved the books at the time (and still have a soft spot for Breaking Dawn), but now, I wouldn't even consider reading them again. Just bleh!
    I suspect that fanfiction ruined it for me. I think the fanfics were better than the books.

Thankfully, this hasn't yet happened for Harry Potter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykee93)
    I was thinking the same thing!
    Loved the books at the time (and still have a soft spot for Breaking Dawn), but now, I wouldn't even consider reading them again. Just bleh!
    I suspect that fanfiction ruined it for me. I think the fanfics were better than the books.

Thankfully, this hasn't yet happened for Harry Potter
    I would never consider reading them again either but I still think they were written quite well, the story just wasn't so good- I felt it was too cliche and make-belief, and I hated Bella's character!
    I love reading HP fanfic!!! Especially the Dramione ones, hehe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBlueBiro)
    I would never consider reading them again either but I still think they were written quite well, the story just wasn't so good- I felt it was too cliche and make-belief, and I hated Bella's character!
    I love reading HP fanfic!!! Especially the Dramione ones, hehe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I admit that they were well written I guess the story was decent, but there was too much fluff!
    And I hated the bit in New Moon where you have a page for each month. That was way too weepy for my liking :P

Have you ever read the leaked book she started from Edward's POV? Much better than the originals

ReputationRep:
    Twilight books, without a doubt. Divergent trilogy, ugh. I mean the last book has to be the greatest literary disaster of the 21st century.

Tangled Lives by Hilary Boyd, as I discovered it was granny chic lit halfway through but stuck with it anyway. But mainly Twilight.

Did I mention Twilight?

ReputationRep:
    This is annoying me now as I can't remember the title, but a book we were forced to read in S2 was utter crap, but that was some heartwarming s*** :/

ReputationRep:
    As a diehard Potterhead, I'd have to say Twilight, without a doubt!
    Terrible, one dimensional characters, awful plot and really badly written. Ashamed to admit I like it the first time a read them!
    Started hating on them after I watched the films with Kristen Stewart's so-called acting and after an attempted re-read of them and realised it's basically a story about a teenage obsession and how good it is to have a dead stalker boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykee93)
    I admit that they were well written I guess the story was decent, but there was too much fluff!
    And I hated the bit in New Moon where you have a page for each month. That was way too weepy for my liking :P

Have you ever read the leaked book she started from Edward's POV? Much better than the originals
    Nope, maybe I'll have a look at them sometime. I don't really bother with Twilight since the first movie release, I hated them from the day I watched it.
    Ugh yeah, I thought New Moon was pretty boring and Bella just made me angry. She was being so pathetic. And she completely used Jacob (he was my favourite character).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittKatt)
    As a diehard Potterhead, I'd have to say Twilight, without a doubt!
    Terrible, one dimensional characters, awful plot and really badly written. Ashamed to admit I like it the first time a read them!
    Started hating on them after I watched the films with Kristen Stewart's so-called acting and after an attempted re-read of them and realised it's basically a story about a teenage obsession and how good it is to have a dead stalker boyfriend.
    Ugh Kristen Stewart is the worst, it really annoys me that she's won awards over Emma Watson, I can't believe what the world's come to. *shakes head in disgust*

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.