Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

would you marry for money? Watch

So..iv been with my bf for over two years. we love each other a lot but its gonna take him many years to be financially stable and to be able to provide me with a house and stability for me to move into. it doesnt help me being older than him and being ill and not being to able to work full time to do all these things by myself

I could easily marry some rich suitor guy if I wanted... through arranged marriages.. simply for that house that ease of lifestyle.. but I wont do that

but the question is.. if most of you didnt have a partner.. if you could have suitors to see who were all financially stable.. if you clicked with one.. would you marry them.. simply for the money?

ReputationRep:
    No, you can buy it cheaper.

lol no but I want to be provided for by the guy..im one of those ppl who doesnt mind being a housewife whilst working like two days a week. im no feminist lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    lol no but I want to be provided for by the guy..im one of those ppl who doesnt mind being a housewife whilst working like two days a week. im no feminist lol
    You're just slightly ahead of your time.

A lot of girls on TSR will tell you how they won't be kept and want their careers etc. This is because they are generally 16-23 years old.

When it dawns on them that at around the age of 26-33 that many of them will basically be able to not work - they won't. Why would you work when you don't have to?

ReputationRep:
    Personally i find the aim to just one day sit back and be a "housewife" quite unattractive in a woman.

(Original post by Clip)

A lot of girls on TSR will tell you how they won't be kept and want their careers etc. This is because they are generally 16-23 years old.

When it dawns on them that at around the age of 26-33 that many of them will basically be able to not work - they won't. Why would you work when you don't have to?

(Original post by Clip)

lol im only 24. I basically cant work full time anyway cos of my health. but regardless.. I know deep inside me I cant sacrifice practicality and stability for love. my bf knows that as well. .. obviously I will try and wait.. hoping my bf becomes financially stable...but if not.. we will have to part ways.. I personally feel I deserve to get to live in a decent house.. and be stable in life. is the best thing for me and my health..

ReputationRep:
    There are too many parasitic women out there poncing off men and slowly bleeding them to death. Glorified prostitutes .

@pholdram1

thats fine you are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to mine. im just being honest with myself. obviously a person has to be good person rather than just having money... a marriage is more than just one person having money and some gold digger marrying him/her..

@limpoo

lol

what is wrong in being practical in life.. .. the most common reasons of divorces etc.. are always money problems.(also other problems like different values.. incompatability).. . I believe two ppl have to be matched financially..when the women has a baby.. the man has to support her...

ReputationRep:
    I'd actually love to be with a guy who works and I could just do like part time work, I'd take up a couple of hobbies which don't cost much (and maybe even provide extra income), I'd do everything around the house so that it turns out we're inputting a similar amount of work into the household. We'd maybe go travelling together or something, eventually once everything's established and he's reached near the top of his career, we'd adopt (or surrogates, they can be biologically his) and then I'd look after the kids during the day. I wouldn't be a typical stay-at-home 'mom', I'd raise them really well as actual people so that they develop at their full potential. Things would still be very romantic with my partner and I but I'd focus hugely on the kids, I keep them as happy as possible while also preparing them fully for the world, my husband would be dominating in his workplace and whilst we're not rich we'd be becoming well-off. The kids would accelerate through school and we'd go on family holidays all the time, eventually the children would flee the nest and go on to do what they want to do in life, my husband and I would have the place to ourselves and I'll realize that I've actually became 'me', I'll be a real person with real experiences and I'll finally be loved, but something will be missing. I'd start fantasizing again, I'll feel nostalgic and full of regret and despite my husbands' best efforts I'll no longer have the strength to stay with him. I'll move to a small flat somewhere and take up drugs, I'll be completely out of my head but one day I'll end up back with my parents, they'll moan at me rotten and somehow things will become me living in a secluded cottage somewhere where I'll tend the garden and reminisce about my better days. Eventually I'll die a regretful yet calm death, and my husband and children will be looking down on me and shed many tears, but no-one really cares about it, and I still won't have any friends.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't marry for money because chances are I won't need it and money isn't an important aspect of my life. But then again I'm a man and I've never really heard of a man marrying for money.

But something I've realised more recently is that I don't want a LTR with a woman who doesn't have a self-supporting career of her own, because people who allow themselves to be totally dependent on others I find hard to respect as an equal.

ReputationRep:
    @pholdram1

thats fine you are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to mine. im just being honest with myself. obviously a person has to be good person rather than just having money... a marriage is more than just one person having money and some gold digger marrying him/her..
    You're saying that the person is more important than money yet then stating that you'll leave your boyfriend if he doesn't get rich. It sounds like the better option would be to keep your boyfriend and get rich yourself

ReputationRep:
    @limpoo

lol

what is wrong in being practical in life.. .. the most common reasons of divorces etc.. are always money problems.(also other problems like different values.. incompatability).. . I believe two ppl have to be matched financially..when the women has a baby.. the man has to support her...
    I agree as long as you know the rules when you foolishly get married. I would happily marry someone a fair bit richer than me but someone poorer? I'd have to think about it a bit more. Life is tough enough without taking up an extra burden.

@limpoo

I agree. I earn a lot more than my bf atm.. but he and I are at different stages of our lives and I cant blame him thats just life. ..

c time though.. in years.. if financially I was still earning more than him practically things couldnt work it.. life is hard sometimes.. love vs practicality. .

we cant all be tamara ecclestone now and marry some banker guy who earns 0.0001% of her wealth just for LOVE.

(Original post by plrodham1)
    You're saying that the person is more important than money yet then stating that you'll leave your boyfriend if he doesn't get rich. It sounds like the better option would be to keep your boyfriend and get rich yourself

no I already studied worked hard got a career.. I can be rich if I work full time because I do a high paid job. I work part time and am saving my money and still earn decent as I am self employed. I cant work full time because my I have a condition which limits how much I can work.. hence im self employed lol.. so basically as you can see.. even if I saved for deposit and bought myself a house.. It just wouldnt work out. ..
    my bf knows I cant support him or us finanically if were to live together... im not some normal young person flying kicking working everyday .. I have to put my health first..

just saying when I reach the point in few years even a year or two.. it will be hard to decide what to do.. when you really love someone but u know it wont work out.. practically..

I think I worded this thread wrong.. MONEY is one IMPORTANT factor in deciding LTR/MARRIAGE DURATION

other things which are important.. basically sharing the same point of view in life//same views on most things.. . if you dont have that. no matter how much money there was.. there would be conflicts 24/7 and game over.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like quite the *****.

ReputationRep:
    the hell is wrong with you? lol

dumps bf because he aint rich but would happily marry a rich guy because you "deserve" a decent house and lifestyle? :rolleyes: wtf

(Original post by a10)
    the hell is wrong with you? lol

dumps bf because he aint rich but would happily marry a rich guy because you "deserve" a decent house and lifestyle? :rolleyes: wtf

whats wrong with wanting just a simple house... were not talking mansions here but being able to live in a financially stable enviroment.. dont kid me everyone wants to be able to one day live in a house and be comortable.. I wouldnt just HAPPILY marry some rich guy.. I want things to work out with my bf SOO much but JUST me cant support us and he cant support me atm.. just being honest..

(Original post by College_Dropout)
    You sound like quite the *****.

LUCKY then we never have to encounter each other.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.