Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opinions on arrested development?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was really excited to watch this show on netflix because it's so high rated e.g. the 9.2/10 on IMDb although I was disappointed...

Some of the reviews include comments such as
    "incredibly hilarious writing"
    "
    such a truly genius show"
    "
    laugh out loud hilarious."

Am I not getting something? I've seen 3 episodes but really can't get into it. I am not saying it is unbearable and I can sit and watch it but I didn't laugh once and frankly I found all the characters to be too stupid for it to be funny?

In good tv shows there will always be that one stupid character who gets the laughs for being idiotic (Phoebe and Joey in Friends, Jake in two and a half men, Penny in the big bang theory etc etc) but in this show it seemed that every character except one was the stupid character and that just wasn't funny for me.

Anybody agree or disagree?

ReputationRep:
    Well yes, every character acts stupid. That's why it's called "Arrested Development" because they still act like they are immature adolescents.

I personally think it is hilarious, just thinking about it now has put me in the mood to watch it.

OMG one of the best series ever made!! Season 1 to 3 are by far the best, Season 4 is hit and miss as the change of format slightly ruined it although aside from that it's brilliant

ReputationRep:
      Typical un-funny American ****e

ReputationRep:
      Give it a little more time, I don't think you'll regret it in the long term. The writing is magnificent, weaving in many running gags, ridiculously funny stories and some brilliant guest/cameo appearances from the likes of Amy Poehler, Charlize Theron, Ben Stiller and Henry Winkler (Da Fonz). Honestly, I can't sell it enough. I wasn't too bothered about it after a few episodes but having watched the entire series, it's one of my favourite comedies.

I haven't seen Season 4 but I loved the original run, mainly for the wordplay and the running gags and the way several characters seemed to be in the same place at once but never met! I'd say Season 3 got a bit weird though, and maybe it seems a little dated now because we no longer have the backdrop of the Iraq war and the kerfuffle over WMDs any more...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.