Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What transferrable skills can you show from your fitness training? Watch

ReputationRep:
    "Determination? Competitive spirit?

Stuff like Overcoming Adversity when i was injured and had to take a step back, reassess what i could and couldn't do and then slowly reintroduce the other things when my body was ready and then overtime making the slow/steady improvements until i beat my previous PBs.

People think of other good things about training over a few years and competitng and what it says about them?

ReputationRep:
    If you have ever trained other people, it shows motivational and communication skills if you're looking for CV/Cover Letter filler material

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)
    If you have ever trained other people, it shows motivational and communication skills if you're looking for CV/Cover Letter filler material

Not CV/cover letter. I'm looking to give a presentation and need to find ways to make it look reallly good and show useful skills. that's good though, i approve of teaching others. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Learning to assess your strengths and weaknesses, and even come to terms with them
    Planning and preparation (think before a big game or race)
    Motivating self and others
    Learning how to be competitive, but fairly
    Reinforcing positive actions and learning from experience (how you took that free kick, what decisions you made that paid off).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Learning to assess your strengths and weaknesses, and even come to terms with them
    Planning and preparation (think before a big game or race)
    Motivating self and others
    Learning how to be competitive, but fairly
    Reinforcing positive actions and learning from experience (how you took that free kick, what decisions you made that paid off).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awesome reply! Just what i was looking for! :five:

ReputationRep:
    Tolerating ****wits?
    Time management- work, uni, social life still fitting in gym
    Able to react positivity to negatives- like you miss a lift, you don't go off in a huff, you keep going and learn from it
    Similarly, being able to take constructive criticism
    Mental focus on task

ReputationRep:
    discipline, perseverance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Tolerating ****wits?
    Time management- work, uni, social life still fitting in gym
    Able to react positivity to negatives- like you miss a lift, you don't go off in a huff, you keep going and learn from it
    Similarly, being able to take constructive criticism
    Mental focus on task

I like these as well. Thanks guys.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Self-reflection is the biggest one for me, I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Self-reflection is the biggest one for me, I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you expand on that one for me? not really sure what you mean.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Well, the martial arts I do has had a lot of transferable skills. Balance, posture, confidence, teaching skills, concentration, reflection, social skills, perseverance, etc. The most valuable I think has been discipline.

ReputationRep:
    Commitment? When you're tired, not feeling it, or just having a few bad sessions, forcing yourself to go in and keep at it (kinda crosses over between determination and willpower)

Not sure if there's a better way to put it, but being able to take criticism (technique, diet, w/e), and build upon it, put it to use etc.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Can you expand on that one for me? not really sure what you mean.
    So the ability to look at and reflect on your own performance, to learn what went wrong, what went right, and plan to improve for the future and set or adjust goals.

ReputationRep:
    Increased forearm grip strength can be translated into better fapping sessions.

ReputationRep:
    ability to commit and stay committed through tough times (e.g. still going for that 10 mile run when it's freezing and raining outside)
    motivation, similar to commitment but the sort of person who will feel like going out for a cycle on a sunday morning is the sort of person who will help out on that extra project at work
    fitness itself is a transferrable skill in my opinion as it will mean you have more energy for day to day tasks and work (particularly applicable if you do a job that involves physical tasks)
    self belief
    to set realistic goals and to work within your own limits
    ability to rise to challenges and focus on problem solving rather than losing confidence/becoming overwhelmed (as in, if you become injured you have to step back and look at what you did wrong and what you can improve on in order to fully recover)
    self control, whether it's getting out for a run on a day you're not feeling it, or forcing yourself to take that rest day you know you need

ReputationRep:
    ^ further to the above post, setting SMART targets/goals, - specific, measurable, attainable (or appropriate), realistic (or relevant) and time bound. E.g. By the end of the year, I would like to Snatch 10kg more.

Everyone seems big on SMART goals, in school/college, work places etc.

ReputationRep:
    cool post

confidence
    organisational skills
    time management
    competitive drive
    self belief
    communication
    social skills
    acceptance of other peoples knowledge and captivation.
    listening and learning skills.
    commitment

ReputationRep:
    Mental resilience
    Motivation
    improves stamina
    to add a few more

ReputationRep:
    If we're doing physical stuff too then my ability to chase the bus has improved significantly without ever doing cardio. I'm better at carrying shopping, I don't need to get my 10l of soy milk on a separate trip from my tins and general shopping any more for it not to be a workout. I worked as a bar assistant as a ****ty traveling job and was much better than the twig shaped teenagers because stuff like running down stairs with a full glass bin isn't something I think twice about so I was first pick on extra shifts.

Individually those sorts of things don't make a difference but overall being stronger and (accidentally) fitter is just useful.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I'd say the biggest thing is consistency. Most people don't keep hobbies up for very long. Cue the whole Woody Allen thing: 80% of success is just showing up etc.

The rest of my thoughts are pretty disordered so here we go. I suppose if you really want to get into it there's plenty of material in terms of:
    Critical thinking [plenty of material on the web but how much of it is total bull****]
    Technique
    Programming (Periodisation etc)
    Rehab (mental/physical/just learning anatomy)
    Nutrition (both in terms of science and in practical terms)
    In relation to the above: a problem solving mindset
    The mind game (knowing when to push and hold back)
    Being open to new things/leaving your comfort zone (especially in strongman due to varying movements)
    If you ever train with other people motivation/people skills/pedagogical aspects of the iron game
    An appreciation of equipment from an engineering perspective (how are bars/racks/platforms/dumbells etc made and how could they be improved)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.