The Student Room Group

How am I going to afford university?

Living with parents on around 30k a year which means I'll get around 5k in loans and grants. I'll have to get a train season ticket because I have no car and my parents can't drive me to uni every day. My first choice is Birmingham university, second choice Aston university, third choice Leicester university.

Train season ticket to Birmingham is £1200 a year :tongue: To Leicester, it's £6000 a year. What am I going to do? Basically if I fail to get into Birmingham or Aston, I'm completely screwed because I won't be able to afford to even get there, let alone pay for supplies etc...:confused::confused::confused:
You may get in. Don't worry yourself with the 'what ifs' - see what happens first and then deal with how things turn out. Do you think you have a good chance with Birmingham/Aston?
Reply 2
Original post by somethingbeautiful
You may get in. Don't worry yourself with the 'what ifs' - see what happens first and then deal with how things turn out. Do you think you have a good chance with Birmingham/Aston?

I need AAB for Birmingham and ABB for Aston and I'm awaiting my AS level results atm. I'm predicting 3/4 A's, 2/3 B's and 1 C :/ So I guess I just have to hope they'll offer a conditional, lol

I was thinking that it would be massively cheaper to commute rather than rent a house near the place, but apparently not :eek:
Original post by jf1994
I need AAB for Birmingham and ABB for Aston and I'm awaiting my AS level results atm. I'm predicting 3/4 A's, 2/3 B's and 1 C :/ So I guess I just have to hope they'll offer a conditional, lol

I was thinking that it would be massively cheaper to commute rather than rent a house near the place, but apparently not :eek:

You're doing a lot of AS Levels - 6 or 7? Most people drop to 3/4 in their 2nd year which I'd recommend so you can focus on them to get the best possible grades. A lot of times, universities accept people who firm them even when they slightly miss their grades - so just think positive and believe that you will get the grades you need but also remember that unis do sometimes let people in with less than what they were predicted (it's better for them to have a full course at the start of the year since there are always drop-outs).

I got into an AAB course with ABC. Don't stress too much - just work hard.
Train travel is really expensive but it probably does work out slightly cheaper than renting a place since you also have to pay for food/living costs too.
Reply 4
Original post by jf1994
Living with parents on around 30k a year which means I'll get around 5k in loans and grants. I'll have to get a train season ticket because I have no car and my parents can't drive me to uni every day. My first choice is Birmingham university, second choice Aston university, third choice Leicester university.

Train season ticket to Birmingham is £1200 a year :tongue: To Leicester, it's £6000 a year. What am I going to do? Basically if I fail to get into Birmingham or Aston, I'm completely screwed because I won't be able to afford to even get there, let alone pay for supplies etc...:confused::confused::confused:

I reckon £5000 a year would be doable if you were to arrange accommodation with other students at Leicester, But obviously getting into either of the other two universities are of paramount importance in order to commute comfortably and also afford course supplies.

What course have you applied to and what grades are you predicting?
maybe don't live at home?
Original post by jf1994

You can only have two confirmed choices, not three so I don't get that bit. If you were to go to Leicester you'd be better off moving out as you won't much in the way of savings and you'll get more than 5k from student finance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending