Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Learned something interesting tonight...

Was speaking to one of the top bods at Rover before BMW asset stripped Rover and sold it off... Apparently the original 1 series was original set to be sold as the Rover 35 and was to be front wheel drive.
    Apparently Rover had a working driving concept car and BMW buggered off with the design and converted it to RWD when they split.

ReputationRep:
    I'll bet it won't have sold half as well as a Rover compared to what it has as a BMW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    I'll bet it won't have sold half as well as a Rover compared to what it has as a BMW.
    Rovers never sold well beyond the shores of UK anyway.

ReputationRep:
    BMW literally stole the design.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Jargen)
    BMW literally stole the design.

They didn't exactly "steal" it since they owned it when they bought the parent company. That's not what a Rover 35 looked like anyway... that's a photoshop. It actually looked more like a big rover 25.
    They did however, strip Rover of everything of value - the brand new assembly plant and the MINI are prime examples as are Jaguar and Land Rover - the sale of which to ford covered the whole cost of buying the parent company in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    They didn't exactly "steal" it since they owned it when they bought the parent company. That's not what a Rover 35 looked like anyway... that's a photoshop. It actually looked more like a big rover 25.
    They did however, strip Rover of everything of value - the brand new assembly plant and the MINI are prime examples as are Jaguar and Land Rover - the sale of which to ford covered the whole cost of buying the parent company in the first place.
    Yep BMW pretty much ruined mini, if they had done something like singers Porsche it would have been better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Jargen)
    Yep BMW pretty much ruined mini, if they had done something like singers Porsche it would have been better.
    How exactly did they ruin it?

I'd argue that as business go they have actually been very successful considering the numbers they had shifted since.

End of the day they are a car manufacturer and they need to sell cars to as wide an audience as possible rather than have something like this as a niche.

ReputationRep:
    you have just ruined it for me was thinking about buying a 1 series e87 but just knowing its a rover design i have been put off it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vision1)
    you have just ruined it for me was thinking about buying a 1 series e87 but just knowing its a rover design i have been put off it
    Nothing wrong with Rover :P

The 1 series came out 3 years after BMW sold Rover so it's unlikely it has anything Rover related left in it.

The BMW mini was mostly Rover though http://jalopnik.com/unique-bmw-mini-...-or-1474761064

This is the Rover 35 that the 1 series is supposedly based off Name:  rovr30_03.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  34.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    As a whole, Rover designs were generally good designs. It was the manufacturing and product components that were less than stellar.

ReputationRep:
    Rover were always ahead of the competition - it took 10 years for the competition to compete seriously with the 90's offerings from rover. It's just a pity they stopped developing things and were allowed to rest on their laurels. They fell behind and then the company died from lack of investment. Quite why they thought putting the the MG SV was more important than the 45 / zs replacement I'll never know.
    It turned out that when they went under they were only a couple of months away from launching the new car too.
    Then there's the 75 / ZT coupe. Only 1 was built and it looked fantastic.
    I'm not really one for buying new cars, but even I would have been tempted enough to buy a R75 coupe - v8 of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Rover were always ahead of the competition - it took 10 years for the competition to compete seriously with the 90's offerings from rover. It's just a pity they stopped developing things and were allowed to rest on their laurels. They fell behind and then the company died from lack of investment. Quite why they thought putting the the MG SV was more important than the 45 / zs replacement I'll never know.
    It turned out that when they went under they were only a couple of months away from launching the new car too.
    Then there's the 75 / ZT coupe. Only 1 was built and it looked fantastic.
    I'm not really one for buying new cars, but even I would have been tempted enough to buy a R75 coupe - v8 of course!
    Probably because it was a virtually free car to develop since it was a DeTamosa Mangusta under the skin. They owned the company that had the rights to it. Granted that clearly was pumping good money into bad causes.

The R75 V8 was also a silly car to develop, not sure what they were thinking when they penned that one down. Money could have been better spent on shrinking the 75 for a 45 replacement.

I suppose they needed a "halo car" just that they made some very poor choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Probably because it was a virtually free car to develop since it was a DeTamosa Mangusta under the skin. They owned the company that had the rights to it. Granted that clearly was pumping good money into bad causes.

The R75 V8 was also a silly car to develop, not sure what they were thinking when they penned that one down. Money could have been better spent on shrinking the 75 for a 45 replacement.

I suppose they needed a "halo car" just that they made some very poor choices.
    The 75V8 was really a back room project much like the original MK1 golf GTI.
    I'm glad they made that. It's the modern century P6 V8 / Vittesse.
    Still, it is what it is. It's a shame that such a forward thinking company lost its way in recent times with poor management.

ReputationRep:
    Well if the Rover 35 did morph into the BMW 1 series all BMW did was put the Rover body on a shortened 3 series what have they produced?well doesn't it rather seem like how Chrysler UK produced the Sunbeam from the Avenger. So by reverting to a RWD configuration they built a car in which rear seat accommodation was somewhat minimal at best. So at least BMW got an entry level model for wannabes who coveted the blue propeller badge but couldn't quite afford the 3 series. BMW had actually dipped a toe in the water in this market with the 3 series compact model but this rather cynical attempt didn't really make the grade, but now what appeared to be a brand new car was made from already developed components.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.