The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

City University London or University of Edinburgh for Law?

Hey there,

Been recently studying law at the University of Edinburgh for the past year. However, have had a really awful time over the year and was so bad I intended on dropping out, and also don't think doing a Scottish law degree was that useful. So very recently, applied to some other Universities in London for law, my IB scores were not high enough for UCL, got rejected from King's, LSE and Queen Mary and the only university that took me in was City University London. However, from reading league tables and other reviews City seems really bad? My parents really want me to go to London because they were worried about me in Edinburgh ( I hated it so much I was on antidepressants) but am very concerned about if I am making the right decision or not, or whether I should go back to Edinburgh and try everything out again. Am I making the right choice?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Im not sure if I can be of much help but City forums are not that active so I'd give it a try:

Not sure why you had a realty awful time - was it a lot of work and pressure, wrong type of crowd or something else....?

You've already tried Edinburgh once and if you hated it for good reasons then might as well go for City.

City is a decent uni. But after studying Law if you expect to make it to a graduate programme at a top law firm then it might be difficult. Having said that, it's not impossible if you work hard and smart. If City is your only choice excluding Edinburgh then better go for City.

There is so much to do while you study in London, it's such a great city.

Feel free to private message if you wish to discuss further in private. Uni should be a fun experience packed with excitement, fun and hard work. Your priority should be to move to a level where you don't have to depend on medicines : )

Good luck!
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Aww bless you!

Honestly If I was you I would go city (I am actually going in September). I had few choices like Aston, queen Mary and Kings but still decided on going city.

The reason was by far I liked the university much better! The people were nice and as long as I felt comfortable in a place I'm sure the grades depended on me I mean the teaching doesn't seem bad at all!

Being somewhere you hate and is taking effect on your health seems horrible you should honestly leave

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Edinburgh. Even if Law at city is good, Edinburgh is excellent. However, the taught law will be different, Edinburgh will be harder and longer with loads of different modules over 4 years. Without forgetting that you will be taught the details of scottish law.
Why didn't you like Edinburgh?
Reply 5
I have the same issue. I'm currently doing my 1st year of law at Reading. But I've got a transfer to City. I wanna know what's it like studying there? Are the lecturers helpful? Are the people friendly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending