The Student Room Group

City University London or University of Edinburgh for Law?

Hey there,

Been recently studying law at the University of Edinburgh for the past year. However, have had a really awful time over the year and was so bad I intended on dropping out, and also don't think doing a Scottish law degree was that useful. So very recently, applied to some other Universities in London for law, my IB scores were not high enough for UCL, got rejected from King's, LSE and Queen Mary and the only university that took me in was City University London. However, from reading league tables and other reviews City seems really bad? My parents really want me to go to London because they were worried about me in Edinburgh ( I hated it so much I was on antidepressants) but am very concerned about if I am making the right decision or not, or whether I should go back to Edinburgh and try everything out again. Am I making the right choice?

Thanks!
Edinburgh is a great British university with an established reputation and ancient prestige (in fact, its amongst the most internationally renowned British universities), but your mental health matters a lot more, because how are you going to do well if you're struggling through depression at the same time?
City University London isn't that bad. It's not amongst the greatest London universities, but it's at least average. I know the word 'City' can be offputting but it's really not bad, and being educated in London can give you better opportunities. London graduates have on average higher starting salaries than anywhere else. It's leaps and leaps ahead of many other universities in London. You should go for it. Getting an English law degree in a decent London university (in an area filled to the brim with top law firms and opportunities) is great.
City's not the greatest of universities, despite me going there next year (to their Business School). For law especially, I think brand name matters most so I would either switch to a more reputable university (if possible) if that's the career path you want to pursue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending