Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice for Split, Croatia? Watch

ReputationRep:
    A friend and I are making a stop in Split for a couple days during our inter railing trip. Using it as a little break to have some cocktails and sunbathe for a couple nights.

Looking at some hostels online, there's tonnes, so I'm trying to work out what's the best sort of area to be in. I also can find zero maps of the beaches in Split. I've heard there's an area where there's a busy seafront with some restaurants and bars. First, is this true? Second, where is it? (assuming near the harbour area but no idea really)?

Is there any kind of landmarks on google maps in Split I can search for to know roughly the area to look at some hostels in advance?

We just want to be within walking distance of a lively area of the city and perhaps not too far from a beach or two.

ReputationRep:
    hey - I fly/drive to Split regularly from the UK to catch a ferry to one of the islands, so I may be able to help.

Firstly, you do have to walk (read also: trek) to get to the nearest beaches - Split is Croatia's largest port and hosts boats ranging from fishing boats all the way to luxury yachts, cruise liners and ferries, meaning that to avoid pollution and things like that, beaches are well out of reach of the port - I personally haven't been to the beaches in Split, but I've heard that they are far away and, aesthetically, you can find much better ones if you were to travel out one day on the ferry, for example.

There is a pretty seafront, but that itself is also quite long - there are a few low-cost cafes and restaurants where all the ferries/cruise liners arrive, but you're better off walking around a bit - if you walk along the sea front (past the ferries, in the direction of the main town if you're coming from the train station) then you'll eventually get to this beach front where everything is paved in some stone (marble, maybe?) and thats where you can find the better food/ice cream/drinks/etc - so in summary to your second point, yes there is a busy seafront, but its tucked away from all the busy ships

In Split there's the famous Diocetlan's Palace (not sure if thats spelt right), which was built by the romans and is still around today - although I was there a few days ago and it looked like they were doing some maintenance on it. if you have a look around Split there's the usually vendors (selling legal and illegal goods...), but also some nice paved streets and a Church tower you can go up and see the views.

Sorry that my directions may not be incredibly specific (I don't know the names of places, just know the place from having been there so many times).

if you get a chance, go out on a ferry and visit another island (e.g. Hvar, Brac) - they're bound to have some beautiful beaches.

hope I helped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.