Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Simple problem. I need the windows open at night since it's ****ing boiling inside but quite cool outside. I need the curtains closed since there's a lot of street light coming in. The curtains pretty much completely kill the effects of opening a window, except for all the noise.

Any suggestions? Might have to resort to one of those eye masks but I'd prefer to alter the room than my sleeping habits,

ReputationRep:
    Leave one ends of the curtain open a bit so cold air can come in that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is the exact reason I have venetian blinds in my room

Leave a little gap? I don't know...

The eye mask thing is probably the best option :yep:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Hang a wet sheet/towel by the window tocool the air (replace curtains with it if you can)
    Use a fan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_p)
    Hang a wet sheet/towel by the window tocool the air (replace curtains with it if you can)
    Use a fan
    I think this is the best bet. I don't have a fan right now and it would be too awkward to get one (no car, no-one in for a delivery etc). Might go and buy some massive towels from Primark or something.

For now, I think I'll have to get used to my eye mask. I bought it, may as well use it!
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    I think this is the best bet. I don't have a fan right now and it would be too awkward to get one (no car, no-one in for a delivery etc). Might go and buy some massive towels from Primark or something.

For now, I think I'll have to get used to my eye mask. I bought it, may as well use it!
    I sleep with an eye mask (and ear plugs) anyway and it's fine once you get used to it! I had to buy a fan as well as I'm on the top floor of an appartment block and the heat sticks around in my room, and the sun glares through the window from 1pm! You can get decent ones pretty cheap, so I'm recommend it as soon as it's possible!

ReputationRep:
    I know the pain! My room is directly facing a pretty excessive street-light.

I invested in a cheap blind, allowing me to direct the light away whilst allowing in that beautifully polluted air!

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Stick a piece of cardboard or several layers of newspapers on the glass panes. It will cut out most of the light when the window is open.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.