Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Day out in London - any advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend and I have decided we want to have a day out in London and just kind of be cliché tourists as despite living pretty close to the city, we've never been. We'll be getting the train to Waterloo which is simple enough, but it's once we've gone from our quiet little station platform to the midst of Waterloo that we get a bit lost.

I've tried Googling tube maps and websites geared for tourists but I figured it would be easier to ask on here as I'm sure there are many Londoners on TSR.

I'm going to sound so stupid with some of these questions but I've never been into central London before unless it involved sitting in the passenger seat of a car so I'm finding the whole thing pretty intimidating.

We know that we want to go to Oxford Street so any clue which tube we need to take from Waterloo? Also any sites which are within walking distance to Oxford Street that we should also visit? Are there any day passes for the underground you can purchase and if not is it necessary to buy multiple tickets if we wish to make a few stops (Buckingham Palace, Oxford St, the London Eye, etc), would this be possible to do online? Also any general tips, advice and suggestions will be appreciated.

Ahh sorry for the idiocy. I'm definitely not a city girl.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

If you're getting off at Waterloo, I would suggest that you go see the London Eye - this is within walking distance. Leave the Waterloo Station concourse via the very last exit towards the Shell Centre (you will pass Krispy Kreme and Wasabi on your left as you leave through this exit). You will get onto a walkway and if you come down the steps, London Eye is basically right in front of you!

Right opposite the London Eye is Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. You can walk along the river Thames which is pretty nice and you can see the Tate Modern which is just 5-10 mins from the Eye. Just follow the path along the river away from the London Eye and Big Ben to get to Tate Modern.

To get to Oxford Street, return back to Waterloo Station and take the Jubilee Line (grey colour) to Bond Street station and change there to the Central Line (red colour) and get off at Oxford Circus. You can also visit Regents Street which runs perpendicular to Oxford Street (this is clearly signposted) and also Carnaby Street is really nice for shopping!

For Buckingham Palace, you need to get to Green Park station. Take the Victoria Line (light blue colour) from Oxford Circus station to Green Park station and Buckingham Palace should be sign posted. If the weather is nice, talk a walk through Green Park - that's really nice. You will need to go through the park anyway to get to the palace. You can take the Picaddilly Line (dark blue colour) to Hyde Park Corner station and see Hyde Park which is also pretty cool. The Lake Serpentine in Hyde Park is nice this time of year!

Ok that's probably a lot to take in! If you have any questions, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superduper9)
    Hi!

If you're getting off at Waterloo, I would suggest that you go see the London Eye - this is within walking distance. Leave the Waterloo Station concourse via the very last exit towards the Shell Centre (you will pass Krispy Kreme and Wasabi on your left as you leave through this exit). You will get onto a walkway and if you come down the steps, London Eye is basically right in front of you!

Right opposite the London Eye is Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. You can walk along the river Thames which is pretty nice and you can see the Tate Modern which is just 5-10 mins from the Eye. Just follow the path along the river away from the London Eye and Big Ben to get to Tate Modern.

To get to Oxford Street, return back to Waterloo Station and take the Jubilee Line (grey colour) to Bond Street station and change there to the Central Line (red colour) and get off at Oxford Circus. You can also visit Regents Street which runs perpendicular to Oxford Street (this is clearly signposted) and also Carnaby Street is really nice for shopping!

For Buckingham Palace, you need to get to Green Park station. Take the Victoria Line (light blue colour) from Oxford Circus station to Green Park station and Buckingham Palace should be sign posted. If the weather is nice, talk a walk through Green Park - that's really nice. You will need to go through the park anyway to get to the palace. You can take the Picaddilly Line (dark blue colour) to Hyde Park Corner station and see Hyde Park which is also pretty cool. The Lake Serpentine in Hyde Park is nice this time of year!

Ok that's probably a lot to take in! If you have any questions, feel free to ask
    Ahh you are too kind, thank you so so much. I really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    Ahh you are too kind, thank you so so much. I really appreciate it.
    No problem, I've done lots of days out in London with friends and as a tour guide! You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    Are you gonna go out at night?

ReputationRep:
    Download the TFL journey planner app,set it for tube only. Plan where you want to go and use the app to plot tube stations. Get a tube day ticket when you arrive at the train station.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pussy Galore)
    Are you gonna go out at night?
    Nope just out during the day, why?

(Original post by Limpopo)
    Download the TFL journey planner app,set it for tube only. Plan where you want to go and use the app to plot tube stations. Get a tube day ticket when you arrive at the train station.
    Thank you, just downloaded it and it looks really good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.