Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is the social life good in Canterbury?? I have an unconditional offer, but never been to canterbury
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Only1_deedee)
    Is the social life good in Canterbury?? I have an unconditional offer, but never been to canterbury
    Congratulations on your offer!

Considering Canterbury is quite a small city, the social life is excellent. I loved my three years as a student here and it's one of the main reasons why I decided to work for the university and continue living here after graduating last year. I'm originally from Brighton and I prefer the social life in Canterbury.

There are also two other universities in Canterbury (UCA and UKC). This means a large proportion of Canterbury's population are students. As a result of there being so many students here, there is always something going on! It's a beautiful little city, and the CCCU main campus is based in right in the city centre so if you want to nip into town you're there in a matter of minutes. Canterbury also has the most pubs and clubs per square mile in the UK and there are 'student themed' nights held throughout the week. CCCU also has a brand new Students Union as well.

The best way to experience the university and explore Canterbury is by coming to an Open Day, however as you can't come to one before you start (next Open Days are Oct 19th & 8th Nov 2014) you're more than welcome to come and have a student led or self-guided tour.

For more information, please visit:
    http://www.canterbury.ac.uk/study-he...niversity.aspx

Or get in contact with the Student Recruitment Officer:
    [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I live a few miles from Canterbury and visit a lot, and all's I can say is that it's very small. Canterbury isn't the best place for nightlife if I'm being honest, but I suppose it's each to their own. There's loads of lovely pubs and coffee shops etc depending on what you're looking for and class as social life
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by FelicityMarie)
    Hiya

I live a few miles from Canterbury and visit a lot, and all's I can say is that it's very small. Canterbury isn't the best place for nightlife if I'm being honest, but I suppose it's each to their own. There's loads of lovely pubs and coffee shops etc depending on what you're looking for and class as social life
    In terms of nightlife I'll have to disagree with you Felicity, during the week on the ‘student nights’ it's fantastic. Whenever I had friends from other institutions visit (from much larger cities) they loved the atmosphere here. Alumni (CCCU graduates) also frequently come back to Canterbury for various social events. I also really liked not having to worry about getting a bus or taxi home as everything is within walking distance and it's a safe city.

If you're not really into clubbing (like myself now), as you've stated Canterbury has some lovely pubs, some of the best pubs in country.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to echo what the previous two posters have said, in my opinion Canterbury has a great atmosphere for students, with many options depending on what you're into

If you're the clubbing type, there's Chill Nightclub, which is quite small but very student friendly with many different events and cheap drinks on certain days. There's also Club Chemistry, which is three floors and usually more popular, both are good I think.

In terms of pubs you're bound to find a 'local' you find yourself going to quite often. Here are just a few, and the typical audience they cater for:

Jolly Sailor - Popular for the sports societies, especially rugby.
    Thomas Ingoldsby - A Wetherspoons so cheap drinks, and near to CCCU so most students who go here will be attending Canterbury
    Westgate Inn - Another Wetherspoons but on the other end of the high street nearer Kent Uni so it's popular for Kent students
    Lady Luck - 'Canterbury's Rock and Roll bar', for fans of rock, punk and metal with live music and a dark atmosphere.
    Seven Stars - At the heart of the town center, a small but quaint pub with pool tables and nine TV screens showing sport. Quite expensive, though.

And of course there's the student union bar which is the best value for students, with a hugely popular quiz night every Sunday and events most evenings - a popular first stop before clubbing as Chill Nightclub is right next door. Whatever you're into, you'll find things you like

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.