Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girl likes me but doesn't seem to want to talk to me? Watch

So basically there's this girl in my friendship group who I quite like at uni. We get on really well, a few people have definitely noticed something between us. She's never been involved with anyone before and she's a bit socially awkward. But I was told by her best friend right before the end of term, who is also a friend of mine, that she likes me (as in, she told her she did)... and although I had speculated this before, I found it quite hard to believe. To the extent that I wondered whether that was a lie, but I'm sure knowing her she wouldn't lie about that. So it must be true, I tell myself.

So I've wanted to make a move, but I'm not the most confident of guys and I never really had the balls to do it while we were at uni. Plus, I had a rough breakup a few months before so I didn't want to rush into anything - she knows about this breakup and I suppose I've probably made it quite obvious that I'm not completely over her yet (maybe a bad move). But now I'm sure this is what I want. I've had a few decent conversations with her online since we left uni, but she doesn't make it easy to continue the conversation and she sometimes just stops replying. A few times I've tried to talk to her and got no response. I've probably made it seem quite obvious that I like her (without telling her), just to test the waters. And she hasn't really reacted to that. So I'm not sure what to think/do.

The more I try and go after her the worse I feel about the situation... I've come close to just asking her out but (i) I feel like it would be far more preferable in person, even if that's months away (ii) all the signs seem to be pointing for me to back off. But if she feels the same way as I do, why is she being like this?

Am I just overthinking this? Could anyone advise me or give their opinion? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If she's aware of your break up I guess she doesn't want to be a rebound in her head? I don't know. But if I was in her situation I'd rather remain friends a year or so after your break up to see whether younwere definitely sure and it wasn't just a silly lust that you had to get one over on your ex? There's a lot of possibilities but give it time. I think she likes you but wants you to be 100% hope this helps :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok I suck at all this... no idea why I'm replying, but anyways yes she does sound like she likes you.. If you have been.msgng quite a lot you need to slow down.. some girls dont like to be constantly being msgd even if its from the guy they like.. I think she might have an.idea that u know she likes u.. maybe ur mutual friend told her that he told u or whatever.. so maybe she is playing a bit hard to get or maybe there is another.reason.. no idea..
    I would suggest wait it out till you meet her.. still try and make conversations but dont msg her everyday.. maybe once a week if she doesnt reply. If she does thn good

I know i suck at this badly. Sorry

(Original post by minidee6.12)
    If she's aware of your break up I guess she doesn't want to be a rebound in her head? I don't know. But if I was in her situation I'd rather remain friends a year or so after your break up to see whether younwere definitely sure and it wasn't just a silly lust that you had to get one over on your ex? There's a lot of possibilities but give it time. I think she likes you but wants you to be 100% hope this helps :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply I guess in my mind I probably downplayed the whole ex thing, I suppose that is quite a big deal. Another 8 months would be quite a long time, though. I think I'll just leave the situation alone for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the reply I guess in my mind I probably downplayed the whole ex thing, I suppose that is quite a big deal. Another 8 months would be quite a long time, though. I think I'll just leave the situation alone for a while.
    Yhup! Leave it alone for a bit, the second she blanks you off online you run, run as fast as you can and don't bother popping up for a bit.
    I promise you she'll run after you (tried and tested by yours truly ) The second I lose interest in new people THEY start making the effort. Give yourself some time too, you were probably in a relationship a while and now you need to stand on your own two feet and find yourself. One reason why I refused dating was because I wanted to be complete myself before I took on that level of love and care. Second reason is because I find relationships that arent serious enough futile, I see guys and girls going into relationships simply because they're 'pretty' or from the girls view 'cute'...I want something more than that :'). If you need any further advice, ask away

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.