Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have recently just completed my Secondary PGCE and I'm in abit of a dilemma
    I have been offered a job as a teaching assistant ;
    The pro to this is I get to do what I do without the extra paperwork and headache
    Also, it is a permanent contract
    The con is the snobbery of the hierarchy system as I do feel I am overqualified for it

On the other hand, I have been offered supply work;
    The pro to this is I get to actually teach, yet enjoy it as it's a short term basis
    The con is it's supply work

Out of the two which would you choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not supply work, you mean supply teacher right?

You will get slaughtered by the students as a supply teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    Definitely not supply work, you mean supply teacher right?

You will get slaughtered by the students as a supply teacher.
    Thanks for the prompt reply as I need to get back to the head teacher tomorrow

I should have made it clearer, yes I meant supply teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Teaching assistant, for the reason of stability, companionship and advice being as your new to your career. Once your more competent and have more experience then I would venture to the wilderness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troytheboy)
    Teaching assistant, for the reason of stability, companionship and advice being as your new to your career. Once your more competent and have more experience then I would venture to the wilderness.
    Maybe I'll end up settling though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_missy01)
    Maybe I'll end up settling though?

You wont setlle if you really know what you want keep to the teaching assistant job and if any teaching jobs come up in the school apply to them :-) chances are you would be considered if you have the qualifications and if you make a difference in the school (being an asset)

Or take another approach what bout HLTA you earn more then a teaching assistant and you teach the class with plannin the teacher has already done ;-)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I actually didn't even get an interview for the hlta roles I applied for
    I couldn't understand why, but I was told it is because even though I have my Pgce and various voluntary work, many people simply look for the teaching assistant level qualifications. If that isn't there then they cancel you out :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Keep applying. My mother's first job after graduating in her teaching subject, and then a PGCE was (and is) at a private school, earning over £35k starting salary. With no prior classroom experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈)
    Keep applying. My mother's first job after graduating in her teaching subject, and then a PGCE was (and is) at a private school, earning over £35k starting salary. With no prior classroom experience.
    Lol that's the thing
    I actually don't want to teach now (and I got to do my placement at a private school so I was at an advantage)
    I think supply teaching maybe the push and reminder I need of how much I love teaching, but right now after the year I've had I've just been put off and feel t.a or supply is a balance between the two

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In that case I would go for the Teaching Assistant position. The benefits are great compared to the other options available to you, and you won't have to experience the torment of being a supply teacher - which will definitely put you off for life.

After that, you'll be in a great position to apply for good positions within teaching should that be something you want to do in the future, and if not, you can at least say you had a crack at it, then move onto other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈)
    In that case I would go for the Teaching Assistant position. The benefits are great compared to the other options available to you, and you won't have to experience the torment of being a supply teacher - which will definitely put you off for life.

After that, you'll be in a great position to apply for good positions within teaching should that be something you want to do in the future, and if not, you can at least say you had a crack at it, then move onto other things.
    Is supply teaching really that horrendous
    Iv been lucky enough to always work in private schools, where the children have always been quote attached to me- the supply position I've been offered is also at a private school

Something I wanted to have a crack at was child physiotherapy- but I'd need to do a course for it and for the time being I've had enough of courses

Thank you for the responses too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is supply teaching really that horrendous
    Iv been lucky enough to always work in private schools, where the children have always been quote attached to me- the supply position I've been offered is also at a private school

Something I wanted to have a crack at was child physiotherapy- but I'd need to do a course for it and for the time being I've had enough of courses

Thank you for the responses too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Kids can take advantage of supply teachers not being familiar with them to play up more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.