Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey guys,

Right this is a bit long but I just wanted to share this with people.

I moved from Germany to the UK about 5-6 years ago. In Germany I had lived in the same city for pretty much all my life I was very comfortable,went to a good school, had lots of close friends i genuinely was living the dream! Just before I moved I also started to date a girl i had know since I was 6 and we always were really close it was all going perfect for me and I was loving life. Of course there were bad times as well but I can genuinely say during that time you could have offered me anything in the universe to be someone else or somewhere else and I would not have accepted it because I was that comfortable.

But all that changed in a matter of days when my parents had to move for jobrelated reasons. I had a couple of days notice and in those couple of days I said my goodbyes and got an amazing sendoff that i still remember in detail which made leaving so much worse.

When we arrived in the UK I actually was physically sick for about 2 weeks. I was constantly throwing up, couldnt eat properly ! The next 2 years were pretty crap. I didnt want to make the effort to build a social circle again cause I just didnt think it could ever rival what i had in Germany so i continued to cling ontto the hope that id move back after secondary school and just didnt bother making anyfriends or being social at all! For two years i didnt really speak to anyone apart form my friends in germany over the phone or did anything with anyone at all. It was a depressing time.

Then sixth form rolled on and I realised I wiuldnt be moving anytime soon so i just hoped that maybe uni would be just as good as germany so i threw myself into my ALevels to go to my uni of choice which I achieved although at the expense of being an antisocial hermit.

Got to Uni and it is good but I still cant move on. It sounds so whiny but I feel like im stuck in that time before I moved and just cant carry on until rewin time to that point before we moved and carry on life from there withiut moving. I feel like i lost out on so much and its too late to catcg up now because all my friends in germany have moved on now and ive never made an effort here. Its so depressing and there is just no solution to it all i honestly dont know how to move on

ReputationRep:
    Being uprooted in 2 days from everything that was so familiar; so comfortable; so happy, wasn't ideal, and whilst you had a big send off, I doubt you were able to get any real closure in such a short space of time.

If you want my opinion, I think you are your own worst enemy. Yes, that time of your life was really good, but I suspect, even if you didn't move, things would have changed regardless. As corny as this sounds, life changes, people change as time progresses- so nothing stays the same forever. The whole point is that you have to adapt to your surroundings.

In terms of moving on, there isn't a magic formula that I've come across. All I can say to you is please make an effort- if you're at uni, join societies that you like- tennis, Judo etc and meet people. Don't let life go by you because you're stuck in the past.

Also, if you're able, get a part time job, save up some money, and go see your friends in Germany too, or invite them to the U.K.

I know its been a while but Im now thinking about moving back but Im kind of worried that ill end up losing my friends here and there ill be a stranger cause Ive been gone so long...any advice?

Bump

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.