Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys, would you marry a single mother or accept her as a long term partner? Watch

• View Poll Results: ?
    yes
    41.30%
    no
    58.70%

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a lot of single mothers complain about how men want nothing to do with them and they can't figure out why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    I've heard a lot of single mothers complain about how men want nothing to do with them and they can't figure out why.
    OK lets reverse that statement - Girls, would you marry a single man with a child from a previous relationship and a heck of a lot of baggage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    OK lets reverse that statement - Girls, would you marry a single man with a child from a previous relationship and a heck of a lot of baggage.
    Is he a business owner/lawyer/doctor or a delivery man?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    well here's my 2 cents.

so you want a wife? you want to have a nice wife & kids family?
    single mother ruins that.
    shes shown either that she's not committed
    shes shown that she makes poor choices in men
    it shows that shes sexually irresponsible

then on top of that
    if you want to be in this womens life? your not just getting her.
    your getting her left overs from a previous relationship too.
    so if you marry her. your marrying that child and the childs father.
    that child is gonna be attached to her for the rest of her life.
    and therefore the father is gonna be attached to the child and therefore her for the rest of his life.

then in regards to what about your family?
    hows this other child going to get a long with your child?

her child is going to be extremely damaged. its going to feel like it hasnt got a propper father and its going to be jealous of what you and your kids have with its mom. and it may have a problem with this stranger banging its mom too.

a lot of single moms are also bad parents and can be more obsessed with finding a new man than looking after their kids. many never wanted their kids. but them due to stupid puppy love or by being sexually negligent.

a lot of single moms struggle financially and look for a sort of sugar daddy to come in and pay for her and her kids.

a lot of single moms have multiple kids from different guys and seem to collect them.

if you date a girl with a kid the father of the child might be a problem for you. he might be hostile.

some single moms who have had psycho ex-boyfriends that they had kids with look to escape the violence of their crazy ex by getting with a more violent guy. or a guy that they think is more violent. which could be u.
    so know your acting as a body guard to this women from a pyschopath that wants to see his kid.

its basically a mess.
    and high risk where a lot can go wrong.
    nobody plans on falling in love and settling down with a women who already has kids. so that your some kind of tag along in her half built and malfunctioning life.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with all of that, SP, getting involved with single moms is a ****fest waiting to happen. They are like expired food and not just by a couple of days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaolin Punk)
    so you want a wife? you want to have a nice wife & kids family?
    single mother ruins that.
    shes shown either that she's not committed
    shes shown that she makes poor choices in men
    it shows that shes sexually irresponsible
    Are you ****ing kidding me?!

There are so many other circumstances that could lead to her being alone than consequences of her own actions or poor choices. I swear some of you people live under rocks if you think this is how the real world actually works.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they're good for a night or two as they're always game but I wouldn't go any further. Then again my mom had three kids already when my dad met her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freudian Slip)
    Are you ****ing kidding me?!

There are so many other circumstances that could lead to her being alone than consequences of her own actions or poor choices. I swear some of you people live under rocks if you think this is how the real world actually works.
    other than being widowed.

what else is there.

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't want to have kids, let alone raise someone else's kid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    Yeah they're good for a night or two as they're always game but I wouldn't go any further. Then again my mom had three kids already when my dad met her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    a lot of em are stupid n lonely n care more about themselves than their kids.

a lot of pedophiles target single mums to date them n win their trust so they can molest their kids

ReputationRep:
    other than being widowed.

what else is there.
    I'm not going to list every worldly possibility, but your post makes it sound staggeringly like fault always lies with the woman if she ends up alone once with child.

ReputationRep:
    probably not
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Not now tbh, if I'm 45 or something then sure plenty will be divorcees with kids and I don't think I'd be that fussed, I might be in the same situation by then.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, shows your not responsible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freudian Slip)
    I'm not going to list every worldly possibility, but your post makes it sound staggeringly like fault always lies with the woman if she ends up alone once with child.
    Not really, he listed:

"She's not committed" (scenario she left)
    "She makes poor choices in men" (he left or she left because he's a ****)
    "Sexually irresponsible" (she had a child after not being careful)

Apart from being raped or adopting said child there aren't any more scenarios. Her previous partner could have been uncommitted and sexually irresponsible too, but he's not the one we'd be dating so it's irrelevan

I wouldn't marry/date a single mother long-term because it's full of unnecessary hassle and complications - if I was to have a family I'd want to dedicate my time and energy raising my own children and not someone else's

ReputationRep:
    a lot of em are stupid n lonely n care more about themselves than their kids.

a lot of pedophiles target single mums to date them n win their trust so they can molest their kids
    Like Ian Watkins you mean? I would have thought not many women would allow that, I couldn't imagine it being that common really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Not really, he listed:

"She's not committed" (scenario she left)
    "She makes poor choices in men" (he left or she left because he's a ****)
    "Sexually irresponsible" (she had a child after not being careful)

Apart from being raped or adopting said child there aren't any more scenarios. Her previous partner could have been uncommitted and sexually irresponsible too, but he's not the one we'd be dating so it's irrelevant
    I still think the 'poor choices' argument is just a little bit limp - unless it's expected that you enter into every relationship you ever have being completely sceptical of your partner and their motivations for being with you, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the circumstances.

My answer could be a yes or a no.

If the question is 'Is there a situation where you'd support a single mother in a relationship' then my answer is yes.

Is it probable? No.

ReputationRep:
    If I reverse the gender in the title and I'm single, yes I would.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Naaah, she is now permanently marred by another man whereas i would want to be in before anyone else as it were. Also, you would now be encumbered with another man's progeny where not only would you have to raise and spend tons on someone else's hand me down, but also have her attention divided which in the beginning you obviously don't want..

So, if she's hot then yes would bang, but that's pretty much it...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.