Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are most women naturally submissive to men? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Women 's fantasies almost always include men who are powerful and/or physically dominant (tall, strong etc). Billionaires, presidents, rock stars, footballers, princes or kings, men in uniform (soldiers, cops, firemen) or doctors. These are all dominant men in one way or another. Almost all women want men who are taller than them, are more intelligent or make more money. They want them to be confident and assertive, basically have qualities associated with leadership. They want men to ask them out and take charge in the relationship. Most women also love being dominated in bed, many times taking it to pretty scary extremes. Women love voting for male politicians and prefer male bosses to female ones.

Pretty much every quality associated with the ''perfect man'' (as described by most women) screams dominance, whether it's related to social status, personality or physical features .
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    Women 's fantasies almost always include men who are powerful and/or physically dominant (tall, strong etc). Billionaires, presidents, rock stars, footballers, princes or kings, men in uniform (soldiers, cops, firemen) or doctors. These are all dominant men in one way or another. Almost all women want men who are taller than them, are more intelligent or make more money. They want them to be confident and assertive, basically have qualities associated with leadership. They want men to ask them out and take charge in the relationship. Most women also love being dominated in bed, many times taking it to pretty scary extremes. Women love voting for male politicians and prefer male bosses to female ones.

Pretty much every quality associated with the ''perfect man'' (as described by most women) screams dominance, whether it's related to social status, personality or physical features .
    Thread cleaned up, and moved to Society for more serious answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubble999)
    Thread cleaned up, and moved to Society for more serious answers
    Thanks, bubble

All the things I mentioned are very much real and easily observable. The only question is why they happen. Answering those would explain all sorts of societal outcomes and choices the genders make.

ReputationRep:
    Some women identify as having submissive characteristics, others do not. Plus, are we talking in the bedroom, or in normal day to day life? I'm attracted to well paying aspirations or jobs, because I crave financial security. It's not a dominance thing.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, bubble

All the things I mentioned are very much real and easily observable. The only question is why they happen. Answering those would explain all sorts of societal outcomes and choices the genders make.
    I agree you bring up some great points :yep:

I believe it's a lot to do with evolution - females seeked strong males to protect their offspring and give them the best chance of survival. In this sense, females are more "picky" about which males they breed with, as they want to pass on the strongest genes.

Just a possible explanation

ReputationRep:
    Serious answer: evolution

Nonsense answer: cos they're bbz.

ReputationRep:
    I was coming in here to dismiss the theory outright, but having read your thread I started to doubt my dismissal because you actually have a point

The main question now is whether this is natural (i.e. biological) or just due to a shift in society over time because for an extremely long time women were treated as weak and were not given opportunities, men were the only ones who could do a lot of things (e.g. work, vote etc) and men had to be strong and breadwinners for the family. Maybe this resulted in a shift over time of what women find attractive in a man. It makes you wonder if, had society treated men and women equally from the start, would the attractive features be different? I think they probably would be.

ReputationRep:
    Women are submissive to dominant males but beta males are submissive to females.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzy890)
    I was coming in here to dismiss the theory outright, but having read your thread I started to doubt my dismissal because you actually have a point

The main question now is whether this is natural (i.e. biological) or just due to a shift in society over time because for an extremely long time women were treated as weak and were not given opportunities, men were the only ones who could do a lot of things (e.g. work, vote etc) and men had to be strong and breadwinners for the family. Maybe this resulted in a shift over time of what women find attractive in a man. It makes you wonder if, had society treated men and women equally from the start, would the attractive features be different? I think they probably would be.
    Well evolution says it's natural i.e. woman are programmed to specifically seek out a mate with those attributes e.g. physically strong, clever, confident, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I do concur with the OP. At least in a relationship and in the bedroom, almost every woman wants a man to take charge, be dominant and be a man. Women naturally want men to be in charge and assume a manly role, otherwise it doesn't feel right to them. That is not to say they aren't able to take charge, but given the choice, most women would rather assume a passive role to a man. It's in their genetic makeup and if you take away all the infrastructure, technology, law and order etc. we haven't changed a great deal from caveman times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Women are submissive to dominant males but beta males are submissive to females.
    Beta males never get far.

First hand experience

ReputationRep:
    I believe it's a lot to do with evolution - females seeked strong males to protect their offspring and give them the best chance of survival. In this sense, females are more "picky" about which males they breed with, as they want to pass on the strongest genes.
    (Original post by LostGear)
    Serious answer: evolution
    /thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    I do concur with the OP. At least in a relationship and in the bedroom, almost every woman wants a man to take charge, be dominant and be a man. Women naturally want men to be in charge and assume a manly role, otherwise it doesn't feel right to them. That is not to say they aren't able to take charge, but given the choice, most women would rather assume a passive role to a man. It's in their genetic makeup and if you take away all the infrastructure, technology, law and order etc. we haven't changed a great deal from caveman times.
    Pretty much this.

No matter how much technology you throw at people you can't change their genetic make over.
    • Welcome Squad

**** off. I'll never submit!

No but seriously, not all women want all the things listed. I for one don't want someone more intelligent or who earns more than me. I want a sense of strength in me. Perhaps from seeing "submissive" wives suffer/be mistreated.

ReputationRep:
    I think it boils down to security. Those traits don't scream dominance, they scream security, both financial and physical.

It's probably biological why women feel this way as they need lots of protection when they are pregnant. At least, they used to up until very recently in human history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lassiel)
    Some women identify as having submissive characteristics, others do not. Plus, are we talking in the bedroom, or in normal day to day life? I'm attracted to well paying aspirations or jobs, because I crave financial security. It's not a dominance thing.
    I'm talking about overall dominance : social status, wealth, personality traits or physical aspects. Being attracted to a guy with money doesn't make you a gold digger since they probably also have other qualities (unless that's the only thing about him you like and you want to use him ).

I agree you bring up some great points :yep:

Just a possible explanation
    I think you're right. Obviously society added the ''finishing touches'' by encouraging these natural trends but it's only the tip of the iceberg compared to millions of years of evolution.

Men and women could have never been equal in society before the last 100 years or so of technological advances, gender roles existed because of natural realities. Women couldn't have done all the physical work men did or fight effectively in wars and someone had to take care of kids. Even today there are plenty of jobs that very few women can do where strength is involved. Even mental strength is something the sexes differ in : men take almost all jobs that involve highly risky, very stressful or dangerous work but if you give them a crying baby they want to run out of the room. I used to work a job like that where I could lose thousands in matter of seconds if I made the wrong call... but give me that any day instead of a crying baby. Actually , there are studies on this :

Researchers asked men and women to let their minds wander, then played a recording of white noise interspersed with the sounds of an infant crying. Brain scans showed that, in the women, patterns of brain activity abruptly switched to an attentive mode when they heard the infant cries, whereas the men’s brains remained in the resting state.
    The brain patterns did not vary between parents and nonparents.
    It's built in.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely yes. The degree might vary among individual women but 99% will prefer a dominant partner.That is genetically-wired and there isn't much anyone can do about it.

ReputationRep:
    Men and women could have never been equal in society before the last 100 years or so of technological advances, gender roles existed because of natural realities. Women couldn't have done all the physical work men did or fight effectively in wars and someone had to take care of kids. Even today there are plenty of jobs that very few women can do where strength is involved. Even mental strength is something the sexes differ in : men take almost all jobs that involve highly risky, very stressful or dangerous work but if you give them a crying baby they want to run out of the room. I used to work a job like that where I could lose thousands in matter of seconds if I made the wrong call... but give me that any day instead of a crying baby. Actually , there are studies on this :

It's built in.
    Having said that I am a female but I feel I'd be stronger in a high risk job more than I would looking after a crying baby too (hence I want to be a lawyer). So I don't think it's necessarily all biological.

I think women are stronger (in many ways) than many men give them credit for. Whilst biologically we're not built to be machines (although obviously there are female body builders who can be, but in general it's quite rare), they still have mental strength (arguably more than men on the whole to be able to cope with the pressure of a job, looking after the family home AND children all at once) and physical strength (not in terms of lifting something heavy perhaps, but to be able to cope with the challenge of child birth etc).

But my point is that society plays more of a role than biology. As stated above, both men and women have their own strengths but because women have been constantly treated as inferior for thousands of years, society itself has evolved to subconsciously impact what women look for in a man and what men look for in a woman.

It could potentially be argued the other way around. Men might be looking for someone inferior so that he feels strong and more of a man to fit in with societal norms/gender roles.

ReputationRep:
    A lot are, unfortunately, which makes it hard to find the independent, self-assured ones. I personally find submisiveness to be a pathetic trait in both men and women.

ReputationRep:
    Baseless and frankly ridiculous assertion backed up by another load of baseless, evidence-free and frankly ridiculous assertions.

So basically, no.

Terrible troll thread.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.