Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Basically, my laptop was fine last night when I turned it off. Then this morning I tried turning it on, and it was only using the battery, despite the charger being plugged in. I tried it with several plug sockets and another charger (although that was from another make, so it might not have worked, although it fitted in to the laptop).

So is my laptop ****ed?

And if so, how much should I expect to pay to get the stuff back that's on the laptop, like documents and stuff?

Thanks for all your help in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Basically, my laptop was fine last night when I turned it off. Then this morning I tried turning it on, and it was only using the battery, despite the charger being plugged in. I tried it with several plug sockets and another charger (although that was from another make, so it might not have worked, although it fitted in to the laptop).

So is my laptop ****ed?

And if so, how much should I expect to pay to get the stuff back that's on the laptop, like documents and stuff?

Thanks for all your help in advance
    Does the computer make any noises have any flashing lights? This could be something as simple as a broken charger to something more serious, like a broken motherboard, and depending on the age of computer might not be worth repairing.

If you want to get your files back from the hard disk, I'd recommend you take it out and attach it to another computer with a cable like this- (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bipra-SATA-A...rd+drive+cable)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Does the computer make any noises have any flashing lights? This could be something as simple as a broken charger to something more serious, like a broken motherboard, and depending on the age of computer might not be worth repairing.

If you want to get your files back from the hard disk, I'd recommend you take it out and attach it to another computer with a cable like this- (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bipra-SATA-A...rd+drive+cable)
    Yep, as you said, it could be anything. We had an old HP laptop and the charger pin got stuck in the socket, so no charger would fit. Seeing as though the laptop was very old, we discarded it and got a new one.

It depends on a variety of factors. Have you tried another charger, does that work? If yes then it's your charger that is the issue
    If no chargers work then it's an issue with the internals of the laptop (possibly the PSU?)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

No lights on now that the battery has died. The laptop is about 5 years old so definitely not worth repairing. The charger is less than a year old so I would hope that it's not that (in one way)

Thanks for the link Will that work even if the laptop battery is dead?

(Original post by spotify95)
    Yep, as you said, it could be anything. We had an old HP laptop and the charger pin got stuck in the socket, so no charger would fit. Seeing as though the laptop was very old, we discarded it and got a new one.

It depends on a variety of factors. Have you tried another charger, does that work? If yes then it's your charger that is the issue
    If no chargers work then it's an issue with the internals of the laptop (possibly the PSU?)
    The charger for the actual laptop fits in, so it's not something stuck in the socket (it was plugged in over night and worked last night, and didn't work as soon as I turned it on this morning).

I tried it with another charger, but if the make is different I don't know whether it's got the right voltage or whatever to work properly. I attached the connector from my charger, so it wasn't that the connector wasn't fitting properly

ReputationRep:
    No lights on now that the battery has died. The laptop is about 5 years old so definitely not worth repairing. The charger is less than a year old so I would hope that it's not that (in one way)

Thanks for the link Will that work even if the laptop battery is dead?
    Yes, what you should do is take the hard disk out - it will work independently of the rest of the computer and can be connected to another machine, just like you would with an external drive.

• TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yes, what you should do is take the hard disk out - it will work independently of the rest of the computer and can be connected to another machine, just like you would with an external drive.

Hopefully I'll be able to manage that myself Thanks for that link as well - I can't watch it just now cos I'm in uni, but I'll save it for later Luckily I managed to save the key things I need for the next few weeks, so I don't need everything backed up right now.

Looks like I'll need to be on the search for a new laptop though - got a 5000 word essay to write in the next 2 weeks

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I'll be able to manage that myself Thanks for that link as well - I can't watch it just now cos I'm in uni, but I'll save it for later Luckily I managed to save the key things I need for the next few weeks, so I don't need everything backed up right now.

Looks like I'll need to be on the search for a new laptop though - got a 5000 word essay to write in the next 2 weeks
    Ok, hope you get it all sorted out!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Ok, hope you get it all sorted out!
    Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    If the laptop mobo was broken there may be a series of post beep noises or the changing port might just be broken. What laptop do you own because the mobo might not be too expensive to replace.

As as for the hard drive, you can simply pull it out from the laptop and keep it ready for data transfer. There are lots of computer shops that will transfer your data and it won't be too expensive, or you can buy the 2.5 to 3.5 kits to transfer the data yourself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie76)
    If the laptop mobo was broken there may be a series of post beep noises or the changing port might just be broken. What laptop do you own because the mobo might not be too expensive to replace.

As as for the hard drive, you can simply pull it out from the laptop and keep it ready for data transfer. There are lots of computer shops that will transfer your data and it won't be too expensive, or you can buy the 2.5 to 3.5 kits to transfer the data yourself.
    I own a Samsung laptop, altho I can't remember the exact model cos it was bought in 2009. There have been no beeping noises or anything, it just turned on as normal (from the battery), not showing the charging icon and then died when the battery died.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I own a Samsung laptop, altho I can't remember the exact model cos it was bought in 2009. There have been no beeping noises or anything, it just turned on as normal (from the battery), not showing the charging icon and then died when the battery died.

Thanks
    Checked the health of the battery? The battery might be dead so it isn't charging properly.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie76)
    Checked the health of the battery? The battery might be dead so it isn't charging properly.
    I know the battery isn't healthy cos it only lasts 10mins from full charge, but I thought it would work if it was plugged in even if the battery was ****ed?

----

I brought my laptop to the computer techs at uni and it just turned on!! They think it might be that the charger overheated and so didn't work for a while. However, I think this experience is still a wake up call that I need to buy myself a new one, so I've backed up all the documents that I need now and will do most of my work at university Now to decide what computer I want (/can afford)!

Thanks for all your help everyone

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.