The Student Room Group

Should I get a TV licence?

Scroll to see replies

Yes it's a relatively small charge, but surely if you watched catchup etc you're not gunna miss the internet if it goes down for a short while :P
Original post by Reue
X

You seem to know what's up with this stuff so I've got a question. :redface:

If I watch delayed live TV like a lag of 5/10 minutes do I still have to pay for a licence also I will mainly be watching BT sport live does that require a tv licence?
"The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or
record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on
TV.

If you don't watch or record a TV programme at the same time that it
is being shown on TV then you don't need a licence."

I suppose it would come down to whether it would be classed as 'real time' or not even though it is a 5 minute delay. I guess they would argue that it would be real time but how would they ever prove it anyway would be another matter entirely.
Original post by StuartPatrick94
"The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or
record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on
TV.

If you don't watch or record a TV programme at the same time that it
is being shown on TV then you don't need a licence."

I suppose it would come down to whether it would be classed as 'real time' or not even though it is a 5 minute delay. I guess they would argue that it would be real time but how would they ever prove it anyway would be another matter entirely.

That's what I was wondering how would they draw the line. 5 minutes delay? 50 minutes delay?

And what about the watching BT sport I'm already paying for it so do I have to pay a licence to watch it live?
Bit of a grey area I think, couldn't necessarily prove it.

Yeah if you're watching live television you'd need a license.
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Can you buy a tv licience for 1 month?

Posted from TSR Mobile

not really - the monthly direct debits would charge you for 2 months in the first month. You can pay for 3 months at a time though.
Reply 46
Original post by TSA
That's what I was wondering how would they draw the line. 5 minutes delay? 50 minutes delay?

And what about the watching BT sport I'm already paying for it so do I have to pay a licence to watch it live?

The law specifically states 'live or near live'.

What near-live includes is up for debate. I'd say 5 mins was near live, 50 was not.
I actually find this all irrelevant. The fact that a private company, TV Licencing, is supported by JP's who need to have evidence to issue a warrant, yet do so, without evidence, is tantamount to dictatorship, it is further compounded by the use of Police Officers assisting this private company, not just assisting, but being biased in law. The whole concept of impartial policing is a joke, I would never have believed this of Britain, Magna Carta is a joke, the Police force is a joke, civil matters are not their jurisdiction. Let the BBC Hang, Support real democracy, kick these parasites out.

I don't even watch TV, why should I pay for the BBC to exist?

There is a website that will explain this better than my rant: BBCtvLicence.com

Take back your rights from oppression.
Original post by Reue
The law specifically states 'live or near live'.

What near-live includes is up for debate. I'd say 5 mins was near live, 50 was not.

It is not a law, but an act of parliament.
Reply 49
how can the licensing company prove that you're watching live TV?? short of pressing their ears to your front door in an attempt to hear jeremy kyle yelling at the guests on his show, i can't think of any other way. i've received countless letters over several years claiming that inspectors are on their way to my flat, yet i've never seen anyone turn up.
Original post by Stinkum
how can the licensing company prove that you're watching live TV?? short of pressing their ears to your front door in an attempt to hear jeremy kyle yelling at the guests on his show, i can't think of any other way. i've received countless letters over several years claiming that inspectors are on their way to my flat, yet i've never seen anyone turn up.

They can't, that's the point, it is one of the few times that you are guilty, by implication, of having a device that can receive. Whether you watch the crap is irrelevant.
Reply 51
Original post by nimrodstower
They can't, that's the point, it is one of the few times that you are guilty, by implication, of having a device that can receive. Whether you watch the crap is irrelevant.

wait im not sure i understand, so is it illegal just to own the device!? my tv has built in freeview, so you can just watch tv straight from it just by plugging a cable at the back. do i need a license even though i dont watch tv? just using the tv as a second monitor for my computer, also for dvd player and consoles.
Original post by Stinkum
wait im not sure i understand, so is it illegal just to own the device!? my tv has built in freeview, so you can just watch tv straight from it just by plugging a cable at the back. do i need a license even though i dont watch tv? just using the tv as a second monitor for my computer, also for dvd player and consoles.

First, as I understand it, it is not illegal, as in criminal. If you can recieve it it is not illegal, but who comes out of court without a 400 quid fine. You could employ a lawyer to defend you, but can you afford it? It is a bit like clamping firms, with their nasty bullying tactics, all for the sake of the BBC, which has some cultural significance in our psyche, but would you give £150 a year to some Nigerian scammer?
Reply 53
It is not a law, but an act of parliament.

Superb
Reply 54
Original post by Stinkum

Simply owning a device capable of receiving live television does not require a licence. You need a licence if you 'install for the purpose of recieving live television'. Therefore you must have the intention of recieving the live television and that intention is proven by viewing it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Reue
Simply owning a device capable of receiving live television does not require a licence. You need a licence if you 'install for the purpose of recieving live television'. Therefore you must have the intention of recieving the live television and that intention is proven by viewing it.

How do the courts decide if you are viewing it? Yet they still hand down fines, without a shred of proof. What people are losing sight of here is TV Licensing is a trademark name of the BBC, and these people have no authority, except to go to a JP, who needs evidence, yet almost always sides with this private company, to take away your civil rights. If it was ASDA who was doing this, I am sure you would kick up a stink about it, it is the biggest con I have heard of, perpetrated on every household and business in the land, yet like slavish dogs, we let it happen.

An Englishman's Home is not his Castle, it belongs to the BBC, which is enforced by our fascist and highly corrupt law authorities.
Reply 56
Yet they still hand down fines, without a shred of proof.

Ignoring the rest of your rant; Do you have any actual figures to back this up?
Original post by Reue
Ignoring the rest of your rant; Do you have any actual figures to back this up?

I posted a website, which gives tons of info on this private company, just google, BBCtvLicence.com. Or go on you tube and just see what is happening. Realising that you support this Act of parliament, would you support another Act, that allowed a private concern to enter your premises against your wishes, contravening your civil rights, or do you just not care.

This act is the worst of bad enactments, why don't other tv companies have the same right to make you pay a license fee?
Reply 58
I posted a website, which gives tons of info on this private company, just google, BBCtvLicence.com. Or go on you tube and just see what is happening. Realising that you support this Act of parliament, would you support another Act, that allowed a private concern to enter your premises against your wishes, contravening your civil rights, or do you just not care.

This act is the worst of bad enactments, why don't other tv companies have the same right to make you pay a license fee?

I wasnt after tons of info. Just a few simple stats relating to evasion convictions. You've based your points on this so must have access to this information?
Original post by Reue
I wasnt after tons of info. Just a few simple stats relating to evasion convictions. You've based your points on this so must have access to this information?

What is wrong with you, if I give you directions, I don't need to hold your hand and take you there. I can find the info so can you, if you decide not to that say's more about you than me, are you worried you might learn some truths. Information is out there for those who want to find it, if you prefer to stick your head in the sand, fine.

I forgot to mention by the way, when you commented on my "rant", were you implying that Rants are in some way bad? I would much rather rage against injustices, than give in to the bullying tactics of the BBC, and their henchmen.

Tv Licensing claims conviction rates for prosecuted cases is 99.9%, does that seem reasonable?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply