The Student Room Group

Your memories from driving lessons

Scroll to see replies

On my first lesson I had no idea there was a clutch.

This one time I was at traffic lights, when they went to Amber I got the bite ready and then I tried to move off but the car wouldn't move and I stalled, this was because I forgot that the handbrake was still on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Scott1541
I remember on one of my first lessons we parked up somewhere, my instructor pulled out his phone and showed me a picture of his last instructor car... A total write off after (IIRC) being in a collision with some woman at a junction who was on her phone and didn't see the traffic lights were on red.

Wow that's quite a thing to remember.
(edited 9 years ago)
When I was still relatively new to roundabouts there was a moment when I didn't pay too much attention to traffic on the right as I was so focused on getting the gears and everything right, so I basically ended up rolling onto the roundabout without checking properly. I panicked, stopped(?!), and scared my instructor to death when we saw that a lorry was heading towards the car. Took him a second to realise what was going on because thankfully the way was clear to start with so I was fine to carry on. I don't think I've ever pulled away quicker than I did when I saw that lorry! I was a bit of a mess for the rest of the ride home but my instructor handled the situation like a pro. He didn't get mad in the slightest and was so nice about it all. Anyway, after that my fear of driving wasn't that bad and my progress started to pick up a lot. I still wouldn't recommend stopping on a roundabout though. :lol:
Reply 23
Original post by tígertíger
When I was still relatively new to roundabouts there was a moment when I didn't pay too much attention to traffic on the right as I was so focused on getting the gears and everything right, so I basically ended up rolling onto the roundabout without checking properly. I panicked, stopped(?!), and scared my instructor to death when we saw that a lorry was heading towards the car. Took him a second to realise what was going on because thankfully the way was clear to start with so I was fine to carry on. I don't think I've ever pulled away quicker than I did when I saw that lorry! I was a bit of a mess for the rest of the ride home but my instructor handled the situation like a pro. He didn't get mad in the slightest and was so nice about it all. Anyway, after that my fear of driving wasn't that bad and my progress started to pick up a lot. I still wouldn't recommend stopping on a roundabout though. :lol:

Wow that's quite a scary situation to be in :tongue: I hated roundabouts at first, but I ended up loving them when I got the hang of what was going on. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending