The Student Room Group

miser lifts a weight off his shoulders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by In One Ear
To replace bent over rows, simply do front lever rows (full lay, half lay/straddle, tucked-flat or tucked-rounded depending on how strong you are).

Start doing your pushups unevenly (put most of your weight one arm each rep) for more effective load. Try and progress to one arm. Handstand pushups for shoulders/tris etc and you can work up to planche pushups (again it will probably take you quite a while before you can even hold a round back tuck planche before you can even think about adding the pushup to it).

Theres loads you can do with your bodyweight :smile:.

Thanks! Thinking about getting one of those pull up bars that can be put against a door frame - that should work for those front lever rows. It'd also work for shrugs (upside down) and biceps (could start with chair-assisted chin ups). That should cover all my bases.
Reply 221
Chapter XXV: Yogic warrior

Starting last week I've been working out at home. The primary reason for this is because I felt guilty intimidating the other gym-goers with my powerful biceps. The second reason is that if I can do a good job of working out at home then I can save a lot of time and money. And as we know, time is money, so the effect in this case is doubled.

Workout
Bulgarian squats 5x5
Plyometric press ups 5x5
Tricep exts. / dips 3x8
In and outs 3x16

This is what I started with. I did this workout on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, in addition to cardio and stretching.

The squats are my new favourite exercise. I'm doing the plyometric variety in order to engineer maximal resistance. With one foot resting on the sofa behind me, I lower my bodyweight down, supported by my front leg on the floor. Then, with the strength and finesse of a jungle cat I hurl myself into the air by the power of just that one leg. I do five sets of five reps for each leg and by the end feel a suitable burn.

The plyometric press ups are good two. I place a couple of cushions in a distance emulating my usual grip for bench press and use them to soften the impact on my wrists. I lower myself to the ground then push up, launching my torso and arms off the ground long enough to clap my hands together. The clap is essential for each rep as I feel it's important to give yourself encouragement.

Tricep extensions. For these I'd rest my forearms against a wall with my body leaning into it, then press against my palms, using the tricep muscles to push myself away from the wall. These work but produce a strain on my elbows I've found. On Sunday I switched them for dips. Hands behind me resting on the arm of the sofa, the rest of my body outstretched in front of me, heels resting on the floor, I dip. It felt pretty good and also works the chest and shoulders.

In and outs. With just my bum and hands on the ground, carefully and coordinatedly I extend my feet out in front of me whilst lowering my back, then raise my back bringing my feet back in. This leaves me just as tired as the cable crunches did, but I'm unsure of the progression to use.

I've ordered a pull up bar to use for biceps, maybe some upside-down shrugs too. Hopefully will have that by the weekend.

Diet has been going reasonably. I weighed myself last week and the scale told me I was 69.5kg, which is the highest I've ever seen it. I put on weight! 4 months per kg. Not bad.

Must. Eat. More. 70kg is so close!

I have a good feeling about the plyometric exercises as hopefully they should translate into explosive movements in that. I've been watching some Bruce Lee videos to show my muscles what to do.

After my workouts are finished I do yoga. I've bought myself a yoga mat that says "warrior" on it, in case anyone doubts the killer intent behind my downward-facing dog. Breathing slowly and deeply, my soul is cleansed as I move through progressively more awkward poses in my pants in the living room. It's quite relaxing and hopefully if I do it long enough I'll be flexible.

I've also been doing an exercise to strengthen my toes, but that's a story for another day.

Yogi miser, signing out!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 222
Chapter XXVI: Flames of fury

I've had a pretty good week with some pretty good workouts. Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday again - but not much to write about as I find workouts at home don't lend themselves to hyperbole in quite the same way as the gym. But then I have a suspicion this is really just testament to my calling to a career in gym journalism. Yes, that would suit me. Touring the globe meeting bros, curling iron and looking for that magic line that lets you pick up air hostesses.

I have experimented with various exercises in order to properly mould myself a new workout programme that will work my whole body in the same way as ICF. I've got my hands on a doorway pull-up bar and high-quality yoga mat. The mat is very pretty and looks like it's on fire. This is calculated so that every time I stand on it, I'm on fire.

My new programme looks as follows:

Workout A
Bulgarian plyometric squats 5x5 each side
Wide grip plyometric press ups 5x5
Pull-ups 5x5
Hanging reverse shoulder shrugs 3x8
Assisted dips 3x8
One-legged calf raises 3x8 each side
In-and-outs 3x20

Workout B
Inverted body press 5x5
Pull-ups 5x5
Chin-ups 3x8
Close grip knuckle press ups 3x8
In-and-outs 3x20
Dorsal raises 3x20

Squats for the legs with some calf raises thrown in to keep me on my toes. Press ups work the arms and chest - alternating wide grip and close grip should give good exposure to the different muscles. Using knuckles instead of flat palms should also work the forearms. Pull-ups continuing the arms and introducing the back. Chin-ups giving ammunition to the guns. Inverted body press stands in for OHP. Dips emphasise triceps and in-and-outs working the core. Dorsal raises bringing up the rear.

This seems like a pretty solid all-body workout, but it would be nice to switch out the in-and-outs and dorsal raises with something a little more intense. Can anyone spot any areas I might be neglecting? It could also be worth varying the style of pull-ups I'm doing to work as many muscles as possible.

I trialled most of these exercises last night and it was good fun. I didn't try any pull-ups so maybe I can't even do those yet but I did chin-ups. I did about 3 sets of 4. The figures above are what I want to be aiming for in each workout.

After each workout I want to do some yoga. Very peace. Much contemplate. Wow. Maybe meditate too. But I don't want to throw too much on my plate at once. One thing at a time.

Can't wait 'til tomorrow to attack my body and totally destroy it, in the hopes that it will grow back slightly stronger. Then I can destroy it again!
Reply 223
Didn't keep up with my routine over the Christmas break. I want to get back into the swing of it though.

I'm thinking about making lunches and snacks to bring into work. I need a solid food routine since it's easy enough to do the work outs, but taking care of the nutrition has always been what's holding me back.

If I make some high calorie packed lunches and snacks, I'll be well on my way.
Keep updating here even when not training for motivation to train.

Post "didn't train, still don't look like I lift" everyday you skip the gym.

Will make you go. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 225
Original post by Motorbiker
Keep updating here even when not training for motivation to train.

Post "didn't train, still don't look like I lift" everyday you skip the gym.

Will make you go. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice tip. :lol:
Reply 226
Did some pull ups and chin ups yesterday. Couldn't manage any full-form ones so I did assisted ones.

I've been eating well this week and I've weighed myself and I've increased since last time I weighed. I'm at 71kg atm, which from a starting weight of 67kg, is about a third of my way to my goal of 80kg.
Original post by miser
Did some pull ups and chin ups yesterday. Couldn't manage any full-form ones so I did assisted ones.

I've been eating well this week and I've weighed myself and I've increased since last time I weighed. I'm at 71kg atm, which from a starting weight of 67kg, is about a third of my way to my goal of 80kg.

Nice work. Assisted pull ups are the path to pull ups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 228
Friend invited me to run the London River Rat Race this summer. I basically said I'd think about it. Looks awesome. Running, swimming, kayaking, obstacles - would probably make me pull my finger out and train harder. But my ex has jumped on it and there's no way I'll be doing it if she'll be there the whole time. So we'll see.
Reply 229
5x5 assisted pull-ups
4x5 assisted chin-ups

I also cooked a big batch of chana masala (chickpea curry) on recommendation from a friend. I soaked the chickpeas for 12 hours but they still were quite chewy. I will soak 24 hours next time. These will work great to take into work and eat in the afternoons to up my intake.
Reply 230
Have at ye!

It's been too long! A little after my last update I had an epiphany - an epiphany that sent me reeling for months. I've only just pulled myself together again, finally ready to resume my training.

Lifting weights and working out is a physical activity, but I always knew there was a mental element to it too. That's how I could intimidate the gym bros with only so much as a wink and a kiss to each bicep. No one could come close to my mental prowess in the gym, but somehow I was still missing something.

I needed a break to find myself. In that time I realised it goes deeper than mere dominance - working out is a philosophy. It's a philosophy to actively be in control of yourself - to consciously decide to be the best you can be. I worked at the gym to acquire aesthetics, but the whole time it was more than that.

There's a reason gym works your muscles - it's to make you stronger.

Chapter XXVII: The Return of the Prodigal Son

In my absence I developed an incredible appetite for indulgences. I've become impatient and impulsive. But that's not who I am. Now's the time to reclaim my former glory!

A lot's happened in the last 6 months - I've lost my job, I've decided to move to Japan, but, most importantly, I've decided not to hold back.

[video="youtube;PirVtiJuvDs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PirVtiJuvDs[/video]

Workout A
Wide grip plyometric press ups 5x5
Assisted pull-ups 5x5
Imaginary-weight hyper-tense shoulder shrugs 3x8
Assisted dips 3x8
In-and-outs 3x20
Keep at it bro.

Consistency over time is how results are made

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 232
Keep at it bro.

Consistency over time is how results are made

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks bro.
Reply 233
Some say alcohol and workouts don't mix. I say it helps if you buy some mixer. My bro instinct tells me it's a good idea, but haters say it "inhibits the circulation of glucose." I don't know what that means but it sounds like loser-talk for "I can't handle my beer."

Tough luck haters, nothing beats a bourbon martini to help you find that extra rep. When I'm in the gym, I don't let anything come between me and the bar - except the bar.

Chapter XXVIII: Manhattan Project

A delicate Manhattan to rejuvenate the senses. Strain it over a couple masculine heart-shaped rocks, garnish with orange peel and add a parasol for flair. Most people's gym spirit maxes out at 110%, but add a bourbon and you take it up to 150.

Since my last update I've clocked in another two workouts.

Workout A
Wide grip elevated press ups 5x5
Assisted pull-ups 5x5
Assisted dips 3x8
In-and-outs 3x20

Workout B
Assisted pull-ups 5x5
Assisted chin-ups 3x8
Close grip knuckle press ups 3x8
In-and-outs 3x20
Dorsal raises 3x20

It's challenging but working at it. Pushing it to the max and I've been full of energy. I'm on the offensive.

Life's been notching up a gear recently, but life doesn't get to punch me in the face: I headbutt life's fist. I follow life to the ground and get a submission. Hear that? That's life tapping out.

Keep it up guys, find that gym spirit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 234
Considering entering the Summer Transformation Contest. Will be good to see if I can make visible progress to my physique and not just progress in terms of reps. Will see if I can get some photos taken after work. Or maybe I should strip off at the office?
Original post by miser
Considering entering the Summer Transformation Contest. Will be good to see if I can make visible progress to my physique and not just progress in terms of reps. Will see if I can get some photos taken after work. Or maybe I should strip off at the office?

:teehee:

Doing my entry atm :tongue:
Original post by miser

I've entered bro.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 237
Stepping into the fray of the Summer Body Blast comes the Beach Body Brawler.

Original post by miser
Coming in at the last minute

Weighing in at 70kg

And with a goal of pure muscle

Comes the lightweight champion

The lean, mean fightin' machine

Hittin' hard and hittin' fast

I'm in it to win it baby!

[video="youtube;o5eE_xZDI1s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5eE_xZDI1s[/video]
Original post by miser
Stepping into the fray of the Summer Body Blast comes the Beach Body Brawler.

Good luck.

Not too much since I want to win but a little.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 239
Good luck.

Not too much since I want to win but a little.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest