Squats 5x5 50kg +5kg
Bench press 5x5 30kg +2.5kg
Bent over row 5x5 40kg +2.5kg
Barbell shrugs 3x8 40kg +5kg
Skullcrushers 3x8 20kg +2.5kg
Straight bar 3x10 22.5kg +3 reps
Hyperextensions 2x15 10kg +6 reps
Cable crunches 3x10 46kg +5kg

The measure of a man is a murky thing. Some say it's the way he treats the waiter at a restaurant. Others think you should measure his biceps. Yet others propose you should measure the length of something else. It seems to me however that a great man defies measurement. "Your tape measure's not long enough," he'll say, firing a wink that makes you weak at the knees.

A great man is like a mountain. Strong and sturdy, sometimes rising high into the sky. Yes, it's the top that captures our imagination. Most of the mountain goes unseen, but without it, the peak would just be flat land.

In every man's past he was not a man, but a boy. A tiny mountain, the gym yet a twinkle in his eye. In the power cage I made the pose symbolising I was a tiny mountain. "When my body's chiseled to perfection," I considered, "no one will think about how many curls I've done."

They'll only see the peak. "How much do you bench?" they'll ask. "Your tape measure's not long enough," I'll reply, as they wonder what's wrong with their knees.
Reply 322
Updated the OP with current info.

Weighed myself at 73kg so I've been growing. A girl in my house said she thought my arms were bigger, though I stare at them too often to notice personally.

I found a great vegetarian meal near my gym this week - vegetable tempura on rice clocking in at 808 kcal for £3.75.
Reply 323
@Motorbiker @Angry cucumber @Unistudent77

Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice about adding in a couple of auxiliary exercises. Specifically I want to improve grip strength and calf strength. I don't have the space to do farmers' walks so I thought simply holding a heavy bar for 20 seconds at a time might be sufficient. If that's the case then I was thinking about adding that to my B workout, since workout A already has barbell shrugs.

As for calf raises, workout A seems like a good place.

Please let me know if there's a better way of going about this. Cheers.
Yeah calf raises fit wherever

Grip strength - rows, pull ups, holds for time (like you're doing or hold yourself from a pullup bar) deadlifts, plate pinches all are great. Do what you can.
There's also grip trainers you can buy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 325
Original post by Angry cucumber
Yeah calf raises fit wherever

Grip strength - rows, pull ups, holds for time (like you're doing or hold yourself from a pullup bar) deadlifts, plate pinches all are great. Do what you can.
There's also grip trainers you can buy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man. Alright I'll stick to the plan then. :yy:
Only thing i'd add is maybe look at hammer curls, perhaps more forearm than 'grip strength' per se but i like them.

Calf raises - just get that extra ROM so like have toes on a plate if you do a standing DB Calf raise etc
Original post by miser
@Motorbiker @Angry cucumber @Unistudent77

Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice about adding in a couple of auxiliary exercises. Specifically I want to improve grip strength and calf strength. I don't have the space to do farmers' walks so I thought simply holding a heavy bar for 20 seconds at a time might be sufficient. If that's the case then I was thinking about adding that to my B workout, since workout A already has barbell shrugs.

As for calf raises, workout A seems like a good place.

Please let me know if there's a better way of going about this. Cheers.

For grip strength I would do Deadlifts double overhand to start each deadlift session until you can't then switch to mixed grip. Actually, at your strength, do the whole thing double overhand if possible...

Add some holds immediately after deadlift, it's convenient because the bar etc is there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 328
Original post by Unistudent77
Only thing i'd add is maybe look at hammer curls, perhaps more forearm than 'grip strength' per se but i like them.

Calf raises - just get that extra ROM so like have toes on a plate if you do a standing DB Calf raise etc

Original post by Motorbiker
For grip strength I would do Deadlifts double overhand to start each deadlift session until you can't then switch to mixed grip. Actually, at your strength, do the whole thing double overhand if possible...

Add some holds immediately after deadlift, it's convenient because the bar etc is there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys, I'll take your tips into account!
Reply 329
Chapter XXXVIII: Space insects

Workout B
Squats 5x5 52.5kg +2.5kg
Deadlift 1x5 70kg +10.0kg
Military press 5x5 27.5kg +2.5kg
Bent over row (-10%) 5x5 37.5kg +2.5kg
Close grip bench press 3x8 27.5kg +2.5kg
Straight bar 8,7,6 25kg +2.5kg
Cable crunches 3x13 45kg +9 reps

"I'm going to die," I thought cheerily. One day I'll drive passed a pretty lady and crash. Or someone else will see her and crash into me. Or maybe I'll accidentally incite a homeless man to violence. Or maybe it'll be bees. Or a meteorite from space. What about space bees?

"Tomorrow's problem," I thought. "Today is for bicep curls," I said to the man in the mirror as much as to myself. Placing a delicate kiss on each gun, I put the thought in my mental back pocket and prepared for the day ahead.

One of my strategies for doing things is remembering I have to exist in order to do them. Yes, no gym once the bees come - better to go today. Better to enjoy this plain porridge that I don't like. Better to smile even when I'm having a cold shower and my mips are tightening into tiny stones.

Sure, life is more laid back when I pretend I'm immortal, but eh, I'm too laid back to care about that. In the gym, a temporary clump of dust drifting through the infinite inky black bravely squatted. I'm not afraid of space bees.
Reply 330
Gym's closed today so workout will be tomorrow.
Reply 331
Chapter XXXIX: Harmonious fusion

Workout A
Squats 5x5 55kg +2.5kg
Bench press 5x5 32.5kg +2.5kg
Bent over row 5x5 42.5kg +2.5kg
Barbell shrugs 3x8 50kg +10kg
Calf raises 3x8 40kg Introducing calf raises!
Skullcrushers 3x9 20kg +3 reps
Straight bar 3x8 25kg +3 reps
Hyperextensions 2x17 10kg +4 reps
Cable crunches 3x15 45kg +6 reps

"What is true strength?" I wondered casually. "And how do you know when you have it?" I shot a glare at a lady on the train. "Perhaps it can be contained in a single glance," I thought. She seemed scared but it was hard to tell.

In the martial arts community people sometimes say you can tell if someone's uncommonly strong - they have a presence. I remembered my time training in the exquisite art of the samurai sword - hours spent in the dojo polishing posture, expression and shouting with a view to make technique more fearsome. The spirit of taking everything but giving nothing - of overwhelming the opponent with a threatening intensity and a disquieting sense of danger.

"But so what if people think you're strong? That's just, like, their opinion, man." I considered whether to shoot the lady a glare of apology. "Real strength," I mused, "is a synthesis of four distinct elements, brought together in harmonious fusion." In a silent, invisible explosion, my theory of The Four Natures of Strength was born.

Mind. Body. Ability. Spirit.

Yes, these were the real determiners. Immediately fleshing it out and fastidiously recording notes in my diary, I determined that this was the one true theory of strength. If I could develop each of these areas, I would finally achieve true strength. "That's all there is to it," I thought, celebrating with another night of irresponsible drinking. "That is, until I come up with a new theory." But, before the thought lingered, I swept it away under my mind's rug, a safe place for all the things I don't want to think about.
Reply 332
I've very skillfully managed to catch a cold. The ethereal gym spirits must have decided I need some rest and camomile tea.
Original post by miser
I've very skillfully managed to catch a cold. The ethereal gym spirits must have decided I need some rest and camomile tea.

If you have a cold man up and go lift.

If you have a serious illness or flu, then stay at home and rest.

Finding the line is the challenge though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 334
If you have a cold man up and go lift.

If you have a serious illness or flu, then stay at home and rest.

Finding the line is the challenge though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with the sentiment, but surely you can't lift properly with muscle fatigue?
Original post by miser
I agree with the sentiment, but surely you can't lift properly with muscle fatigue?

Tbh at your level you easily could as your weights are all still very sub maximal.

At my level I'd still go but I'd drop my weights 10%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 336
Tbh at your level you easily could as your weights are all still very sub maximal.

At my level I'd still go but I'd drop my weights 10%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting to know, thanks. :yy:
Reply 337
Spent most of the day in bed yesterday. Today felt a lot better. Gym tomorrow.
I take the view, if you're considering paracetemol/ ibprofen - you need to be lying in bed not in the gym. Also if my appetite is suppressed then I again, stay well away from the gym.

I'm currently dying at work, praying for 5pm, dosed to **** on both of the drugs above on a 4 hourly rotation lolz
Reply 339
Original post by Angry cucumber
I take the view, if you're considering paracetemol/ ibprofen - you need to be lying in bed not in the gym. Also if my appetite is suppressed then I again, stay well away from the gym.

I'm currently dying at work, praying for 5pm, dosed to **** on both of the drugs above on a 4 hourly rotation lolz

Cheers. I don't take paracetemol or ibuprofen but I'm sure it would've made me feel a bit better. Despite my optimistic post on Tuesday my recovery took a day off, with me curiously feeling worse on Wednesday than I did the day before. My school performance also took a hit.

A bit of a sucky week all in all but it's the weekend now so I can kick back and study. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest