The Student Room Group

miser lifts a weight off his shoulders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Motorbiker
Think I started with 40 kg squats, 30kg bench and 40kg Deadlift. So that's only 10 or 5 per side.

Once you've got the technique down u you'll fly along.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So the barbell weighs 20kg?
Original post by miser
So the barbell weighs 20kg?

Yep, most barbells weigh that much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Yep, most barbells weigh that much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok cool. It was heavier than I expected. I don't know why but I imagined it to be almost weightless. :rolleyes:
Reply 23
Did probably the healthiest shop I've ever done last night. Loads of vegetables, milk, eggs, wholemeal bagels, cheese, oats, beans, greek yoghurt, nuts, etc. - not even one item of dubious nutrition - then stuffed my face with a gigantic pasta meal when I got home.

Think I might have to start preparing meals to take to work since buying healthy ready-to-eat meals with enough calories is difficult. For the past 18 months I've been eating most work lunches from Greggs (vegetable pasty, usually with either a cheese & tomato pasta or ploughman's sandwich and a doughnut), but that's not exactly healthy and I don't even like them very much.

I should have enough time to prepare something better at home most days, though I really wish there was just healthy ready-to-eat stuff I could just buy that wasn't super-low calories. I know if I want to maintain a (healthy) calorific surplus I will have to put a lot of effort into it.
cook surplus pasta, take in a tub. no extra effort and cheap
Reply 25
Did my first proper workout today. Got home from iaido, ate 4 slices wholewheat toast with beans, chestnut mushrooms, Quorn chicken and a tomato, topped with cheese.

Amazing weather today. Did the 40 minute walk to the gym listening to my motivational playlist. The gym was pretty empty - 3 other guys there and loud Nickelback playing. I started with squats.

Workout A
Squats 5x5 20kg No problem
Bench press 5x5 20kg No problem
Bent over row 5x5 20kg No problem
Tricep extensions 3x8 16kg No problem
Straight bar 3x8 20kg Failed on 3,5
Hyperextensions 2x10 0kg No problem
Cable crunches 3x10 16kg No problem

I avoided loading it up with weights so that I could work on my form. Good job I did because I almost leant too far back trying to keep a straighter back doing a squat.

I was pleasantly surprised that I managed all but one of the exercises without any issues. Based off my induction I thought I'd have a real tough time managing whole 5x5s even with the empty barbell but I managed them without issue.

Straight bar (barbell curls) was by far the toughest. I managed the first set, then the second set, but failed on the 5th rep of the last set.

This gym I went to was a different one than the one I did my induction at as this one is nearest to my home and the other nearest to my workplace so the equipment was slightly different. I had to ask help on what equipment to use for the tricep extensions, hyperextensions and cable crunches, but thankfully a big muscly guy was happy to help.

Had a really enjoyable workout. Next time I do the exercises on this workout I think I will add a bit of weight so that I can push myself harder. I feel good but I know I could have managed more.

Walked home feeling great then had a protein shake. Next workout after work on Tuesday.
Good work, keep it up.

You'll become a beast in no time!
Yeah boy

(In)
Reply 28
I'm considering adding in an accessory exercise to improve my grip strength (useful for martial arts). Also want to add a solid warm-down routine of stretching with the aim to improve my flexibility.

Doing pretty well on my diet so far. Consuming plenty of whole foods and am meeting my 3000kcal goal. Would like to eat more nuts and leafy greens, and I'd like to reduce my reliance on buying ready-packaged food at work as this is expensive (£5 per day on 2nd breakfast translates to over £100 a month).

Going to the gym later to try out Workout B. I've surprised myself in that I'm looking forward to going (i.e., it feels like a hobby not a chore) which I'm pleased about and hoping will be a feeling that sticks around.
Before you know it you'll be wishing rest days weren't necessary
Original post by miser
I'm considering adding in an accessory exercise to improve my grip strength (useful for martial arts). Also want to add a solid warm-down routine of stretching with the aim to improve my flexibility.

Doing pretty well on my diet so far. Consuming plenty of whole foods and am meeting my 3000kcal goal. Would like to eat more nuts and leafy greens, and I'd like to reduce my reliance on buying ready-packaged food at work as this is expensive (£5 per day on 2nd breakfast translates to over £100 a month).

Going to the gym later to try out Workout B. I've surprised myself in that I'm looking forward to going (i.e., it feels like a hobby not a chore) which I'm pleased about and hoping will be a feeling that sticks around.

If you're going to stretch, you might as well do it before.
Reply 31
Original post by tehforum
If you're going to stretch, you might as well do it before.

I stretch during the warm up but I think stretching to improve flexibility is better after a workout while hot, holding each stretch for a longer period of time than in the warm up.
Original post by miser

Nice. Can I ask what kind of things you're eating for breakfast?

I'm trying to consume 2700kcal per day but I always find breakfast harder to load up on calories.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by Endless Blue
Nice. Can I ask what kind of things you're eating for breakfast?

I'm trying to consume 2700kcal per day but I always find breakfast harder to load up on calories.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure. I start with an 80g bowl of Just Right cereal with almond milk (280 kcal) before work at around 7am, then at work at about 9:15 I buy a wrap or sandwich (450-540 kcal) from Costa Coffee (they have some good vegetarian ones) and a fruit salad (80 kcal). That usually takes me up to at least 800 kcal. Sometimes I also have a banana (105 kcal). Then I'm hungry for lunch again by 12:30.

I want to change this aspect of my diet because buying food from Costa every morning is unnecessarily expensive. I think I should get up 15 minutes earlier and make some food to take in, e.g. peanut butter sandwich or a high calorie smoothie.
Reply 34
Went to the gym after work yesterday and did my Workout B. It was my first time going after 5 o'clock and it was much busier. Both squat racks and the bench press were in use so after a while I decided to just start on whatever parts of my routine I could so I didn't do them in order.

Workout B
Squats 5x5 30kg Ok
Deadlift 1x5 30kg No problem
Standing press 5x5 20kg Ok
Bent over row 5x5 30kg Ok
Close grip bench press 3x8 20kg Ok
Straight bar 3x8 20kg Failed 3,4
Tricep extensions 3x8 20kg Ok

I upped the weights on the lifts I managed on Sunday by 10kg. This workout was much more challenging, though most exercises didn't take me to failure. I realised on the way home that I had accidentaly done tricep extensions instead of cable crunches but no big deal. Straight bar I failed on the rep before last time.

I expected close grip bench press to be harder than I found it. I'll up the weight on that slowly. The deadlifts were very easy - will need a lot more weight to make it challenging, but need to improve my form first. Some guy gave me a tip to keep my knees further apart when I squat so I'll have a look at some form videos later.

After my lifts I did some work on the crosstrainer then stretched.

Failed to meet my 3000kcal target yesterday by about 300 calories. I had 900kcal for breakfast, 755 at work for lunch, then 877 for dinner as soon as I got home. Also had a protein shake. I need to make sure I have access to easy calories to stop this happening again - half a tub of yoghurt would have got me to my goal. If I have something quick within reach at the end of the day to top my calories up I should have an easier time.

Next workout is tomorrow. Ran out of cereal this morning so will have to make up for that with more food later. Will go shopping after work.
Reply 35
Original post by illusionz
Before you know it you'll be wishing rest days weren't necessary

Already am haha. Just want to hit the gym. Not sure why but I really like it.
Original post by miser
Already am haha. Just want to hit the gym. Not sure why but I really like it.

One of us. One of us...

The transition has begun.

The day you set foot in the gym is the day you became forever small.
Original post by Motorbiker
One of us. One of us...

The transition has begun.

The day you set foot in the gym is the day you became forever small.

so much this
Reply 38
Ate lots yesterday - I estimate about 3,600kcal. That makes up for yesterday's 300kcal deficit. I wasn't aiming to eat so much but I started eating PB&J sandwiches and remembered how delicious they were. And somehow I was still hungry so I ate a yoghurt.

Did my shopping yesterday. I was hungry at the time and really wanted to buy some chocolate or ice cream but I managed to resist. I bought some breakfast bars to try out (Kellogg's Golden Oat bars) to take to work. They're 200kcal per bar though have 16g sugar. Not ideal but are easy to eat and could help me cut down on spending at work.

The last few days I've found Waitrose have a build-your-own salad bar. This seems a much better option than going to Greggs for lunch. They change the salads each day and stock things like pasta, couscous, potato salad, etc. You can buy a tub of what you like for £3.50. The only trouble is estimating the calories of what I'm eating.

Gym later today. Excited to get down there and pump it up.
Personally I wouldn't get overly hung up on calorie counting. Just have a rough idea.

Quick Reply

Latest