Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do professors grade your spelling in the exam and punctuation? Obviously you don't usually intend to make mistakes, but due to the speed of the exams errors are likely to be made, as I thought the context needed to be the main focus on the exam. Can a experienced student answer my question? Thank you.

I've also heard that a few dyslexic student also study law LLB, so how do they get the grades if they struggle to punctuate or spell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Highfiveyou)
    Do professors grade your spelling in the exam and punctuation? Obviously you don't usually intend to make mistakes, but due to the speed of the exams errors are likely to be made, as I thought the context needed to be the main focus on the exam. Can a experienced student answer my question? Thank you.

I've also heard that a few dyslexic student also study law LLB, so how do they get the grades if they struggle to punctuate or spell?
    Spelling and punctuation are certainly factors taken into account when marking exam scripts. However, as you alluded to, due to the frenetic pace students are writing at, mistakes inevitably happen. I've skimmed through my answers at the end of exams before and seen one or two words I've omitted from sentences and this hasn't affected my overall mark. The best way to look at it would be to say that perfect punctuation and spelling will never hinder your answer, whereas mistakes will never help your answer.

Dyslexic students are given the requisite help needed to achieve success from their studies. Measures such as providing extra time in exams, allowing students to complete their exams on a computer, tinted paper/computer screens to aid their comprehension of the text etc. are all available to students to help them over the course. There are of course tests that students must undertake to satisfy the university that the student in question does have dyslexia, but after that help is widely available.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.